Home

Why does sabre combat feel so...random?

Solo4114

Originally posted by Solo4114

Dammit...I've been fighting more in SP with sabres against talented opponents (just fought the twilek chick for the first time). THAT's how fighting should be! It's both cinematic, controllable, and predictable. AND you block, parry, counterattack, etc. You just don't see that in MP. It may honestly just be the hit detection then.

Yeah in single player saber combat is unpredictable! But in multiplayer its drab.

I've lost many duels because of bad hit detection which really annoys me, I wish there would be more servers with the commands razorace tells us to improve it. :(

Nah, not really. It's quite a step forward, no question, but I just wonder if FPS games are really capable of providing a good melee combat experience. Shooting is so much easier to replicate in these games than swinging a sword (which gives you an appreciation for the subtleties of swordfighting). Oh well. Maybe the next generation of game engines can do it better...

Honestly, the best sword fighting game I ever played was Bushido Blade 2 for the PSX. But that wasn't an FPS.

I still hold out hope for a good Clone Wars game.

Originally posted by Celladur

They should make their own engine in JK4, one suited to saber combat.

Yeah, I agree...

Originally posted by zeimi

Play the old Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight once nowadays and you'll just love JA's saber combat. :)

You're DAMN right!

BTW, I don't think the saber combat is THAT random. In JA's MP I fight much less "random" that I fought in JO. (yes Kurgan I was able to play the MP), And I'm pretty good at it. (much better than I was in JO)

I actually find that the double-bladed sabre is easier to use than the dual sabres. The dual sabres seem to only chain moves if you strafe with them. Attacking forwards or backwards doesn't seem to do much (which strikes me as goofy). Plus, they seem to leave you more open to attack when you're doing those strafe moves.

I tend to play more defensively, so I guess that's why I like the double-bladed one better. I do pretty well with dual sabres in MP, but I'm actually worse with them in SP. Probably due to the better hit detection in SP.

I'd love to see an engine made specifically with sabre combat in mind, but I think it's time for another company to take a crack at it. Raven's done great work with the Q3:TA engine, but I don't know if they could write their own engine. I KNOW I wouldn't trust LucasArts to write their own one, though. I would say that a sabre-fighting engine with other FPS elements included should be the way to go, rather than an FPS engine with sabre elements included.

Originally posted by Prime

Because video game engines of that complexity cost pennies to make, and require little to no time and effort.

True, but hey, DICE developed the Refractor2 engine for BF1942. It was a gamble, but it paid off. Now LucasArts is thinking of making a similar game in the SW universe.

Think about the possibilities for a game that could present realistic and complex sword-fighting. Even aside from the Jedi games, you could open up first-person action games to other time periods (Medieval europe, feudal japan, ancient china, etc., etc.) But hell, all you'd really need is a kickass clone wars game that shows up right at the time as Ep. III is being released, and you'd be golden. Then after Ep. III, you could make expansion packs about the fall of the Jedi (since you KNOW Lucas won't show that to us in the films, just allude to it).

I'd love to see an engine made specifically with sabre combat in mind, but I think it's time for another company to take a crack at it. Raven's done great work with the Q3:TA engine, but I don't know if they could write their own engine.

Yeh i think JA and Call of Duty were the last gasps of breath for the Q3 engine. It would be sweet to see an engine built aroung melee combat. But will it happen?

True, but hey, DICE developed the Refractor2 engine for BF1942. It was a gamble, but it paid off. Now LucasArts is thinking of making a similar game in the SW universe.

That game looks pretty cool from what I have seen. Thank goodness for us old guys it is in the Original Trilogy era.

Think about the possibilities for a game that could present realistic and complex sword-fighting. Even aside from the Jedi games, you could open up first-person action games to other time periods (Medieval europe, feudal japan, ancient china, etc., etc.) But hell, all you'd really need is a kickass clone wars game that shows up right at the time as Ep. III is being released, and you'd be golden. Then after Ep. III, you could make expansion packs about the fall of the Jedi (since you KNOW Lucas won't show that to us in the films, just allude to it).

I'm not saying that such a game wouldn't be cool. I'm just saying that few game companies write their own engine nowadays. The reason being that it is a huge undertaking, and the more money/time you put into that, the less you put into the actual game. Besides, the engine itself is not going to determine what the combat, collision detection, controls, etc. are like. Having the right engine helps, but it does not make or break a game. :)

Archived