Home

vehicle limit and new vehicle classes

Duncan_10158

I made two posts in the Jedi Knight Edditing/ Coding forum but i didnt get any help or even replys on it. so keshire told me to post it here, i hope i get here at least a reply on it. this is a coding thing so it fits quite good into OJP. i put both into this thread cause they are some kind of dependent.

fix vehicle limit

Now with the JA sdk released we can do some more in deep changes of JA. as i am working on some new vehicles i would like to start this thread on how we can mod JA to eliminate or at least rise the vehicle limit.

the vehicle limit has something to do with the .veh files. if there are more the 12 added in the base folder JA gives you an error back when loading a map: veh files extention to large, or something like that. its eighter a limit of the number of veh files or the used size of all these veh files together. i couldnt figure that out.

to fix that is very importent for us vehicle modelers, everyone downloading vehicles surly gets the problem of the many veh files. and for mapper its a limit of the vehicles they can use in thier maps. i dont realy have an idea about coding, but with my other request for help in creating new vehicle classes, i hope this can improve our projects a great part. if someone could help me figure out where the problem is and fix it, would be realy great.

creating new vehicle classes

I am working on some new vehicles for JA, like the droideka, and came to the point where without code change i dont realy can finish it as i would like to. the problem is the vehicles in JA are grouped in classes like swoop, walker, fighter or animal. these groups are more importent for how the vehicle is like then the .veh file, which we can mod. creating new vehicle classes would make it possible to creat new vehicle models which are more acurate. for ex. to creat a ATAT usabe we need a vehicle class that can move a head independently from the body or sett up directly what triggers a spezified animation. just to make it clear, i have no idea about coding or any other stuff needed for that. so i am writing here a list of what i hope could be changed or set up in a new vehicle class. perhaps we should creat some different classes so there is some choise for us vehicle modelers to creat new vehicles. if you could help me, would be great

-more variety in movements, some classes have more different movements, but any vehicle can drive sideward or jump. for ex. it could be possible to creat an animal that can make a high jump.

-let bones follow the crosshair, the ATST guns does follow the crosshair in the vertical, a bone named >thoracic< in a walker class vehicle does it. if we could set up bones that follow in horizontal and vertical. or also let the vehicle turn when standing, what work in SP but not in MP.

-using left/right arrow to steer and mouse to aim, this is directly linked to the point above. instad steering the vehicle with the mouse it should work though the arrows. thise would make vehicles like ATAT or ATST much more accurat.

-finish an animation sequence befor a next one can be ativated, the vehicle class seams to set up which animations can be inerrupted and which cant. for ex. my droideka goes much to fast into rolling mode and back, i want to have the sanding up animation finished befor any thing else can be started.

-deactivat sertain actions in stances, for ex. the fighter class cant shoot while standing on gound, i would like to have a similar thing for other actions during some animation sequences. again my droideka, i want to have it set up so it cant shoot while in rolling mode.

-taking different amount of damage in different stances, for vehilces it should be possible to set up a very vulnerable mode, or have some kind of activated energy shield in some animation sequences. i am not talking about the visual part of it, i already created such a visual energy shield for my droideka, that is activ while standing and not when in rolling mode. i would like to have a mod that takes that into account on the damage points.

-more different driver posture, this is set up in the vehicle class altough the is a parameter in the veh files, but it has no effect. if we could set up that other posture are shown and what player model animation sequences are used. for ex. useing that console typing animation for a vehicle driver.

-vehicles with passangers and possibly show them as drivers, there is an option in the veh files to make it possible for vehicles to carry passangers, but its a vehilce class thing again. if we could make it usable and those passangers visible with spezified driver animations. gunner is perhaps the next step, but i suppose thats hard coded.

ok, thats my short list. i am not sure if i mentioned all, but these are the things i realy like to have on my vehicles. i have no idea if its possible at all, so let me know.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soon as I'm done.

I'm hunting down where the attack string is so I can insert an animation there. Something general like BOTH_ATTACK2.

Also need to hunt down the movement area for run. Which shouldn't be too hard, I came across it once before. Just need to re-find it. ;)

Duncan_10158,

I am going to be starting work on implementing a Droideka class for my mod soon - and was planning to sumbit this to the OJP. The only trouble is I wasn't planning on using a vechicle implementation for the Droideka because - well - it's not something a player rides!

...wouldn't it make more sense as a siege class?

...however, I might still be interested in working on these new vechicle classes as well - irrespective to the droideka implementation.

Anyway, if you want to get in contact so that we can xchange notes more closely, my e-mail is renegadeofphunk@3dactionplanet.com

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

I am going to be starting work on implementing a Droideka class for my mod soon - and was planning to sumbit this to the OJP. The only trouble is I wasn't planning on using a vechicle implementation for the Droideka because - well - it's not something a player rides!

That's true but it might be easier to impliment as a seperate vehicle class that is only boardable thru code commands.

That's true but it might be easier to impliment as a seperate vehicle class that is only boardable thru code commands.

Hmm - I think you have a point...

I would want the droideka 'class' to be avaliable irrespective of whether the droideka vechicle happens to be included in the map, but I guess I can jump that hurdle later...

OK - so I'm definetly interested in helping with all the stuff your talking about Duncan. I wasn't home last night, so I didn't check my mails. I will check them tonight.

Keshire, maybe we can split the work between us. Let me know where you are currently at...

this is coming great, thanks everyone.

my first idea was to creat the droideka as player model and not as vehicle. most of the animations are made as it would be a player model. i converted it to vehicle as JA came out and the hole vehicle thing got possible for MP. i also think to code the droideka as vehicle and make it in siege maps for ex. boardable only class selection, as razorace suggested, is the best way.

RenegadeOfPhunk, did you get the droideka file? if not let me know and i will sent it again.

btw, could it be possible to change the code that in the veh file are some of these options to enable? for ex. which animation sequences are used or what bones follow the crosshair horizontaly or verticaly. that would make it for everyone much easier to creat new vehicles.

btw, could it be possible to change the code that in the veh file are some of these options to enable? for ex. which animation sequences are used or what bones follow the crosshair horizontaly or verticaly. that would make it for everyone much easier to creat new vehicles.

The animation triggers are most certainly possible. (Sounds like Keshire has made some headway into this already...)

The bones-following-crosshair stuff I'd need to look into a bit, but I'm sure that should be possible too...

Yes, I was in the process of hunting down where the attaack occurs so I could implant just any basic attack animation. The only problem I see is the way it switches linked muzzles.

I don't know if the animation would occur before or during the switch.

During would be definately be nice and make less work. But I'm just hoping.

Duncan,

I haven't recieved your current Driodeka work yet. I'm assuming your planning to send me your current vechicle implementation so I can see clearly what needs to be altered / fixed.

...also, have you got an AT-AT in the works? If so, it would be handy to be able to see that too, so I can get a clear idea of what needs to be achieved for that too.

One thing I think I will do is add a variable to the standard vechicle definition which states that the vechicle is something that the player 'is', rather than the player 'rides'. Exactly how we want to make this work, we can think about as we go.

I can try and add a lot of customosability to all the vechicle classes, to try and achieve the things your after, but I need to know some details.

e.g. with the droideka, how is it you are switching from roll to not rolling?

Anyway, if you send me a mail then we can get communicating properly...

Keshire,

I don't know how your approcahing this, but it would be nice if we make this work nice and generically, so that - for example - a vechicle creator could make another 'droid' vechicle, and specify special operational modes, special anims etc. all from the vechicle definition without having to change any code. I think this will be a bit tricky, and we can't try and cover EVERY possibility - but I think we can try and make it fairly comprehensive...

Keshire,

Just looked back up, and seen that you have created a new class specifically for the Droideka.

...I reakon it would be better to leave it as just a VH_WALKER class. That's essentially what it is after all, with a few extra fancy functions.

We can get those new functions in by just making ALL vechicle classes a bit more customisable, but I personally don't think adding new vechicle classes for individual instances of a vechicle (i.e. Droideka) is the right way to go - not in the long term anyway...

..what do you think?

OK,

While I'm waiting to look at the current Droideka vechicle imp. - here's an example of the kind of things I want to add to the .veh definition files to try and handle the stuff being talked about.

e.g.

To handle the jumping stuff...

MaxJumpHeight

Default - 0

Determines the maximum height this vechicle can jump to. If 0, this means the vechicle has no jump capability. I'm guessing only VH_WALKER or VH_ANIMAL vechicles would potentially have this variable set, although I guess VH_SPEEDER isn't out of the question either...

JumpVelocity

Default - ?

The velocity with which the vechicle will leave the ground when jumping.

JumpAnim

Default - ?

A custom anim to be played when jumping.

From the looks of it, you guys have already got new anims working for vechicles. Could I get details as to how that all works...?

Archived