• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so here are two pictures and a walking cycle movie of the AT-AT

i am working on. and i dont think the walking cycle problem can

be solved by setting it to finish befor starting the next one. take

a look ate the movie, the cycle there is about 1.5 sec long and

much to fast. i think the hole cycle will take about 10-20 sec. this

is too long to let it finish. AT-ATs are realy walking slow.

http://io.meskinaw.net/images/AT-AT/at-at_walking.avi

at-at03.jpg

at-at04.jpg

The AT-AT looks awesome!

If it's possible, I think a sort of way of being able to stop the animation in certain frames (the ones where the AT-AT has all the 4 legs fully set on the floor) would be the best and more realistic way of making a stop animation for the AT-AT.

Kinda like having 4 seperate walking animations which always go after the other and if the player stops between each of them that's where the animation stops otherwise the AT-AT will finish the step of the animation (but not standing in place, make the AT-AT force step forward still moving till it can completly stop once the animation reached the end).

Kinda like, you tap once forward and the AT-AT will do a full step forward with one of the legs before stopping even though you're not pressing anything anymore, to both ensure that the animation fully cycles and doesn't have the AT-AT "moonwalk" in place.

I guess a new vehicle would have to be implemented, something like VH_BIGWALKER for situations such as these.

I agree with Sun. The best way to handle this would be with a state machine that sequencially plays the walk animations when you walk in the ATAT. It shouldn't be too complicated to set up but it would require some time to do.

Try asking Phunk. He seems to be the one interested in messing with that stuff.

I am indeed interested in working on the walker.

I'm right in the middle of some stuff for MBII at this minute that I want to finish off, but I don't think it will take long.

I suggest we do it the same way as we did it last time Duncan. Get the AT-AT at the same kind of stage which the Droideka was at when you sent it to me before - i.e. just have a basic skin and all the animations I need.

...when you've got that ready, just send it over to me and I'll start messing around with it.

My initial thoughts are that we will not need a new vehicle class for this. I think we can have another vehicle parameter to state that the vehicle has a number of walking 'states' - the number of which you can specify. i.e. for the AT-AT:

numberOfWalkingStates 4

This will then use a pre-defined set of animations for each walking state, working in a manner very much like Sun and Razor have just described.

I don't know. Do we really need a setable number of states? It would be much easier to just code in 4.

It would be absolutely trivial to make the walk 'state' number selectable. (why do you think this would be so much harder?!) And then the feature is far more flexible and future-proof.

...of course we need a sensible maximum - I'd say 10 would be sufficient...

For example - consider the AT-TE, which has 6 legs. If this vehicle was made, it could also benefit from this feature...

Good idea, indeed it would make things much easier for "big walkers".

If someone wants to make a two legged "big walker" (example, a mech from MechWarrior, not that it fits in SW but it's a good example and it would fit for a MW mod if someone ever wants to do one) it would work very well.

the AT-AT has a movable head, i added two bones in the neck. is it possible to let them follow the crosshair in vertical and horizontal?

I'm not really sure - to be honest, I don't know much about how the bone -> control stuff works - I'm gonna have to look into it. Keep the vehicle how you have just described so I can have a go with it...

can we have more then one death animation? triggerd by different actions? you know that snowspeeder thing.

Yes, this is certainly possible. In the specific case of the AT-AT's being taken down by the snow-speeders, the hardest part by far (at least coding-side) would be getting the tow-rope to 'wrap-round' the legs of the AT-AT. That would be very tricky, but also VERY VERY slick :) SO might be worth the effort -we'll see...

Also Duncan, a little critique on your current anims for the AT-AT. The legs are looking pretty damn good, but I'm pretty sure the body needs to be moving slightly in unison with the legs.

I'll get my copy of Empire off my mate and watch the Hoth scene again to double-check...

If someone wants to make a two legged "big walker" (example, a mech from MechWarrior, not that it fits in SW but it's a good example and it would fit for a MW mod if someone ever wants to do one) it would work very well.

Yeah, that'd be nice :) These would also benefit from the horizontal bone turning -assuming I can get that working...

Kinda like having 4 seperate walking animations which always go after the other and if the player stops between each of them that's where the animation stops otherwise the AT-AT will finish the step of the animation (but not standing in place, make the AT-AT force step forward still moving till it can completly stop once the animation reached the end).

i agree, its what i was think of. i already divided the wakling into four sequences after every the ATAT is standing with all four legs on the gound. but this brings us to the next point, the turbolaser fireing animation. i set up the ATAT so it has two kinds of weapons, two light guns at the sides of the head, they can fire all the time, and two heavy turbolasers below the head. i thougt we could make them fire only when the ATAT is standing, this way i could add a turbo laser fireing animation, but one for every standing standing posture:

stand1 => turbolaserfire1

stand2 => turbolaserfire2

stand3 => turbolaserfire3

stand4 => turbolaserfire4

For example - consider the AT-TE, which has 6 legs. If this vehicle was made, it could also benefit from this feature...

how do you know what i am woking on? ;)

yes, it would be great to make selectable count of walking stances. nearly all vehicles would benefit of this!

I suggest we do it the same way as we did it last time Duncan. Get the AT-AT at the same kind of stage which the Droideka was at when you sent it to me before - i.e. just have a basic skin and all the animations I need.

...when you've got that ready, just send it over to me and I'll start messing around with it.

sure, i hope to have a first version in game today. but to make the death animations will take much longer. what animations do you think we need to "mess around with it"? the walkings, fireings, a place holder for death, what else?

I'm not really sure - to be honest, I don't know much about how the bone -> control stuff works - I'm gonna have to look into it. Keep the vehicle how you have just described so I can have a go with it...

the bone-control feature is realy importent for me. i dont want to make presure on you, i am just thinking of all the models, for ex. URL=http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/tfed_aat/index.html]ATT[/url] , that would realy benefit of it and i would like to make. if you could figure out whats the code behide it, i would be soooooo thankfull! we can then discuss a standart setting for it.

Yes, this is certainly possible. In the specific case of the AT-AT's being taken down by the snow-speeders, the hardest part by far (at least coding-side) would be getting the tow-rope to 'wrap-round' the legs of the AT-AT. That would be very tricky, but also VERY VERY slick SO might be worth the effort -we'll see...

i am not sure if this is worth the hard work, but so many people are talking about that. about every feature we should pose the question if its worth the work and if it makes a sense in gameplay. its a hard desicion in this case, but what if we make the ATAT just very vulnerable to snow-speeders and forget the rope thing?

Also Duncan, a little critique on your current anims for the AT-AT. The legs are looking pretty damn good, but I'm pretty sure the body needs to be moving slightly in unison with the legs.

i have taken a look at the Hoth scene, its true the body is moveing somehow a bit. i am not sure but i think is only in horizontal. a bit forward and back while walking, not up and down, right?

keshire, it would be great if we could do something so the ackley could benefit also of it. its a bomb!

I know someone made a Lambda Shuttle able to have 3 people inside, one would pilot and the remaining two would control some turrets the person added to the Lambda Shuttle although the turrets couldn't be turned; it was posted somewhere in LucasForums but not sure where, if someone wants it to check out how it was done I still have it.

The "Republic Gunship" could benefit from multi-entry slots of this manner since it does have side turrets and all.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/republicgunship/index.html

The Republic Gunship link, for those who aren't sure which one I'm talking about; this vehicle can also be seen in the "Bespin Flight Arena v.2.1" map.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately it's too complicated for someone without any coding experience.

I should add that the vehicle limit only works when you're running whatever mod has the vehicle limit fix installed. Running basejka afterwards will still result in you hitting the vehicle limit.

Originally posted by razorace

Unfortunately it's too complicated for someone without any coding experience.

I should add that the vehicle limit only works when you're running whatever mod has the vehicle limit fix installed. Running basejka afterwards will still result in you hitting the vehicle limit.

then might I ask something of you?

could you make a standalone mod that simply changes the vehicle limit up to something higher with no extra content?

For those of you who are asking for a standalone mod rather than just using OJP Basic, can you explain exactly what has been added (or is planned to be added) to OJP Basic which you don't want? ...this is assuming of course you've actually checked what is in OJP Basic - which I kind of doubt...

...because otherwise you'd know - as Razor has just stated - that OJP Basic contains no gameplay changes, and therefore will almost certainly do what you want (fix issues like the vehicle limit etc.) - and no more...

I thought that you could only have one mod, such as ojp/xmod/admin mods/strong forces 2 and such?

well if that's true, i wanna change the vehicle limit, but I don't wanna give up strong forces 2 for it.

(by the way, for suggestions on force powers, check out the strong forces 2 mod)

Archived