Home

Should I get Jedi Academy for Xbox or PC?

nycgamer

I have both platforms and I want to specify on my Christmas list which version of SW JA to get. In my experience, most games aren't that different on Xbox than they are on PC, since Xbox is the closest platform to the power of PC. However, every once in a while developers make a game that takes advantage of each platform's abilities, rather than just develop a game for all platforms based on the lowest common denominator *cough~playstation 2~cough* (I HATE when they do that). Therefore, in some cases it's a better move to get the game on PC if there's a choice.

So, that being said, which platform does everybody recommend?

The only reason I can see for choosing the Xbox version over the PC is say if you already have an Xbox and a nice big screen TV, but a crappy computer and crappy internet connection.

Otherwise, the PC version has it over. Bigger online community (and possibly cheaper for you, since you don't have to pay for Xbox live + online fees, etc and you can use it for more than just playing a handfull of games), use of free MODS and tweaks and cheats that won't be available to Xbox users down the road.

Plus even with a VGA box, the PC version will still out perform and outshine the Xbox version in terms of graphical quality with decent hardware. With a TV you're pretty much stuck at 800x600 res (unless you buy yourself a really expensive HDTV, but then few games really have that kind of support yet anyway).

And while big screen tv's are cheaper than equivalent size monitors, you could always use TV out if you wanted to I suppose.

With the Xbox version you're pretty much stuck with hand controllers, which while okay for Saber mashing aren't so good for aiming with guns and playing in first person... since JA is a truly "3-D" game, with Force Jump and Speed allowing you to move all over the terrain, not just run in straight lines, slowly turning and shooting like you might be used to doing in Golden Eye or other console-based FPS's.

An optical mouse is simply faster and more precise than any joypad, and with a keyboard you can map all kinds of functions to save time, even scripting moves and sayings to single keys. With a controller you'll be stuck slowly cycling through powers or weapons and forget typing out messages (what's the Xbox solution to in-game communication? slow keypad? voice communication attachment?).

And with a PC if you want to use a joypad you can still do that.

Does the Xbox version let you run dedicated servers? Because part of the fun (some would consider it a chore, it's up to you) of online gaming is customizing a server and running it for your friends, clan, or just people in general (for another place to play). Or are these all Microsoft moderated servers you're allowed to join? Is there a cap on players? Because with the PC you can theoretically have 32 players if you're running on a great line with solid hardware.

And finally, we all remember how Sega discontinued their online support for the Dreamcast in mid 2003. What if Microsoft decides to do the same for Xbox Live! and you still want to play online? Sorry, man, now you're stuck with playing split screen 2 player on your TV.

With the Xbox you have to subscribe to Xbox Live!, whereas a PC that's already got an internet connection is theoretically ready to play online JA goodness.

At least with the PC, even if Raven, ID and Lucasarts all go completely bankrupt and your ISP goes out of business, you can still just switch services and start up or connect to another Master Server so long as somebody is running one, or just hand out your IP address and play or hookup a LAN for free.

With the PC you can setup a linux box and run a server on that. Can the Xbox do the same?

And if you have a Mac computer, a version should be coming out very soon for you. I don't know if it has any improvements over the Windows version, but with JK2 it had higher resolution cutscenes (the pre-rendered ones) but it was fully compatible online.

So to sum up:

1) Crappy Computer & Crappy Internet but already own Xbox & good TV: Get Xbox.

2) Decent Computer & Decent Internet, with or without Xbox: Get PC.

And hey, even in the case of #1, if you really really like this type of game (not just JA, JK2 is far superior on the PC than on either Gamecube or Xbox) investing in a decent PC couldn't hurt!

Originally posted by Kurgan

The only reason I can see for choosing the Xbox version over the PC is .......

wow. K. Thats it entirely ! I have naught more to add ! The only other point is that I think consoles are always more social than pcs, but on the Xbox, playing Jo/Ja this means annoying split screen,,,,,, :( Im not a huge MP person anyways, for those who are, the factors you have outlined are extremely important....

MTFWBYA

*scuttles back to KOTOR forum*

Originally posted by Kurgan

The only reason I can see for choosing the Xbox version over the PC is say if you already have an Xbox and a nice big screen TV

First of all, I dig the Clancy Brown/Highlander Kurgen reference in your avatar. He was so good in that role.

Second, you just sent me into a fit of depression, for I long to have the big, BIG screen TV for my games and movies. Ideally, one that would be able to connect to both my computer and my consoles. I have a nice computer flatscreen monitor and good speakers w/ sub-woofer, but Oh, if I could just play games like Mafia, TRON 2.0, & Call Of Duty on a big screen TV with a killer surround sound....

I don't know if you've played any of those three games, but these ones in particular would be dazzling on a big TV. And with some of the games coming out, like Stalker, Doom 3, Halo 2, Half-Life 2, etc., having a great system with a nice big screen and great sound is going to be of paramount importance. Time to bust out the credit cards, dammit.

Get a video card that supports TV-out.

My lowly Geforce 2 GTS 32mb that I bought almost 3 years ago has TV out (was a pain to find the right cables to hook up to the tv we have, but I finally did).

Then you can "enjoy the best of both worlds" so to speak. ; )

Sure, they say there's a slighty drop in visual quality (mine uses S-video instead of say RGB component video) but it should be adequate.

At least this way if your pc ever improves the performance and visual quality of JA may improve as well, with the Xbox you're stuck with just one "look" and no real access to any future mods.

Originally posted by Celladur

PS2 is the highest, Infidel!!

JA will not be out for PS2. Only for PC and Xbox. Visit the offical site if you dont belive me. http://www.swjediacademy.com

as for the topic:

Get the PC version. So you can download mods and skins to use in MP and SP.

like kurg said, get a card that supports TV-out. The graphics are like PS2! (Or maybe its because i have a crappy TV?)

EDIT: I just went to the offical site, JA xbox, does not have Dynamic Glow. :p

I'm pretty sure with my Sony Vaio it's probably already configured to play through a TV ~ but that won't matter until I get a bigger TV... preferably a 52" plasma screen of the highest quality... (in 2024 when the prices have dropped).

What PC games is everybody into these days? If you haven't played them already, I highly recommend the following:

Call Of Duty ~ http://www.callofduty.com The definitive WWII shooter. After playing this game, Medal Of Honor games (and even BF1942) will seem over-simplified and anti-climactic. The atmosphere, level design, sound and visuals make for a refreshingly realistic war experience.

TRON 2.0 ~ http://www.tron20.net Without question the most unique FPS I've ever seen. If you love color, dazzle and sheer originality of in-game worlds, weapons and characters, you'll love TRON 2.0. You'll find yourself unable to bear the wait to see what surprising level design will appear next.

Max Payne 2 ~ http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/

The Havok engine allows for ragdoll physics and highly interactive environmental objects. Max is cooler now and has a beautiful counterpart (whom you get to play at times). The graphics are more dazzling than ever and the gameplay is classic Max with a new edge.

Mafia ~ http://www.mafia-game.com This is Grand Theft Auto in the 1930s... only much, much more movie-like and realistic (if you ask me). Something about that era is more fascinating to me. I like using a Tommy Gun as opposed to an M-16. Tons of classic cars, the map is immense and reminds me a lot of old San Francisco.

Originally posted by nycgamer

Double posts suck, but sometimes are necessary.

I'm pretty sure with my Sony Vaio it's probably already configured to play through a TV ~ but that won't matter until I get a bigger TV... preferably a 52" plasma screen of the highest quality... (in 2024 when the prices have dropped).

Don't bother dreaming about high-def computer graphics on a big screen. I have a widescreen high def TV and just to prove it to myself I hooked my PC up. Whatever it is, it's certainly not as good as even my beat-up monitor can manage. But it is better than a normal TV. ;)

Call Of Duty ~ http://www.callofduty.com The definitive WWII shooter. After playing this game, Medal Of Honor games (and even BF1942) will seem over-simplified and anti-climactic. The atmosphere, level design, sound and visuals make for a refreshingly realistic war experience.

Enemy Territory is the definitive WW2 Shooter. Call of Duty just has a better physics system and less fun. ;)

TRON 2.0 ~ http://www.tron20.net Without question the most unique FPS I've ever seen. If you love color, dazzle and sheer originality of in-game worlds, weapons and characters, you'll love TRON 2.0. You'll find yourself unable to bear the wait to see what surprising level design will appear next.

It sucked. :/

Max Payne 2 ~ http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/

The Havok engine allows for ragdoll physics and highly interactive environmental objects. Max is cooler now and has a beautiful counterpart (whom you get to play at times). The graphics are more dazzling than ever and the gameplay is classic Max with a new edge.

If you want gunplay with physics, Max Payne 2 is the definitive stop. Aside from bulletime it's hyper-realistic down to the last dropped bad guy.

Mafia ~ http://www.mafia-game.com This is Grand Theft Auto in the 1930s... only much, much more movie-like and realistic (if you ask me). Something about that era is more fascinating to me. I like using a Tommy Gun as opposed to an M-16. Tons of classic cars, the map is immense and reminds me a lot of old San Francisco.

Mafia is still fun, I'll admit, but nothing compares to Vice City. The 1980s are just the right time. ;)

Deus Ex & Deus Ex 2: Invisible War are still well-used in and around this computer. The original Max Payne sees some play on the laptop.

Originally posted by Ardent

Enemy Territory is the definitive WW2 Shooter. Call of Duty just has a better physics system and less fun. ;)

RTCW is one of my all-time favorites, but I wouldn't say it beats Call Of Duty for WWII battle action. Maybe you're referring to the online multiplayer for these, but as far as single player goes, COD has more realism, ambience, impressive sound, spectacular sets, action and variety. As for suspense and tension, they're both impressive games, worthy of many replays.

Originally posted by Ardent

It sucked. :/

:confused: How on earth can you say it sucked?? TRON 2.0 is a remarkable game, far surpassing many expectations, even for fans of the original movie. I can't possibly imagine that you had a problem with the visuals, but I would be interested to know how and why you feel so strongly that this game is flawed.

Archived