Home

*Our* Top 10 Games of 2003!

txa1265

Here's some of my favorite games that came out in 2003.

10. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (GameCube)- I put this in #10 because I was somewhat disappointed when I rented it. Though the flight portions are fun while they last, they are all too urgent and linear, unlike Rogue Squadron's glory days on the N64 when one could loiter around blasting an Imperial base for as long as one pleased. The on-foot portions, for a Jedi Knight gaming veteran, were woefully shallow and Rambo-esque.

9. Soul Calibur II (GameCube)- I've only played about half an hour's worth of the game when my friend brought it over a few days ago, but the little I played was fantastic! The controls are deceptively simple and hide a very deep gameplay factor. Each character is wholly unique with their own weapons and fighting styles. Fighting as Link was a truly enjoyable experience and gave the game an ultimately cool cross-over feel. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of fighting games.

8. Wario Ware: Mega Microgames! (Game Boy Advance)- Like Viewtiful Joe, Wario Ware is one of those games that reminds you just how fun video games can be. With over 200 literally five-second long microgames, Wario Ware is an insanely fast and funny gaming experience. As the games come fast and furious with almost no break in-between, you can't help but start laughing out loud, not only because of the frenetic pace, but the sheer ludicrousness of some of the games, such as picking a nose, frying an egg or lighting up a city with an electric eel. The replay value is excellent, making Wario Ware a game you'll want to come back to for more.

7. Legend of Zelda: OOT and Master Quest (GameCube)- A pleasant suprise for anyone who pre-ordered the Wind Waker, OOT still proves that it still has a right to be called one of the greatest games ever made, even over five years later. The story is still as timeless and grand as it was back in 1998 and it invoked warm feelings of nostalgia playing it again, like having a reunion with an old friend. The Master Quest puts your gaming skill to the test: it's insanely hard dungeons will leave you scratching your head for days.

6. Star Wars: Jedi Academy (PC)- The ultimate Star Wars game for all us aspiring Jedi wanna-be's who have swung cardboard tubes around in imitation lightsaber battles. It takes elements that made JO great and builds upon them allowing for more saber types, Force powers (for SP) more enemies and more moves. MP was a bit disappointing, although Siege is a great game type. It is in SP that I was impressed. I had a blast playing through SP mode multiple times as it has a replay value that is far longer than JO.

5. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC)- Probably the best MP game I've played in a long time, ET is an outstanding WWII game. The entire game is objective-based missions that stress on teamwork. The character classes are much deeper than JA's character classes, allowing for RPG-esque leveling up and XP points, allowing the classes to learn new abilities as they progress. At the same time, more XP allows for a bit easier time, but is not so overpowered that new players get beaten every time. For a free game, Enemy Territory is a truly great game, one well worth downloading.

4. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (GameCube)- Okay, I'll admit it; I'm a big history buff, especially concerning World War II. Having played games that have only shown the European part of the War, playing Rising Sun was a welcome change that showed the war on the other side of the globe. Unlike MOH: Frontline, (my previous experience with the MOH series) Rising Sun is verychallenging on Normal mode. I was suprised at the ferocity and excellent tactics of the Japanese AI, doing everything from hiding in trees to popping up from holes dug in the ground to brandishing bayonets and samurai swords in determined banzai charges against me. I wondered how EA Games was going to top the adrenaline rush of storming the beaches of Normandy on Frontline. They managed to outdo themselves with a frantic and intense recreation of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Authenticity was spot on, something the series has always been good at. Their MP was suprisingly good, allowing for bots that can be made to be very hard opponents indeed and Team matches as well as standard Free For All's. In all, a fantastic game for WWII buffs like me.

3. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube)- A truly worthy successor to the N64 Zelda games, the Wind Waker is a marvel to play. Contrary to what others may think of it, I have no problem at all with the cel-shaded look to the game. In fact, it adds more character to the game in that it allows for more visible emotions on people's faces than was possible before. The whole world seems alive and vibrant. Though I missed Epona, sailing on the open seas was a welcome change of pace. Though different than previous games, the Wind Waker still has features that all Zelda game has: challenging dungeons, memorable characters, wonderous devices and gargantuan bosses. The only downfall: after playing through the game, like all Zelda games, there's not really enough incentive to play through again.

2. Viewtiful Joe (GameCube)- "HENSHIN A GO GO, BABY!!!" If you've played Viewtiful Joe, you'll understand why I can't stop yelling that phrase. This is truly the reason why video games were made in the first place. It's so simple, yet so complex. It has a wacky sense of humor. The story is so cheesy that it's actually not bad. All sorts of puns and inside jokes are made about popular culture and video games, from Star Wars to the Mario Bros. The music is a nifty rock/techno combo that will have you humming. The game starts easy enough to catch on what to do, but it becomes difficult enough that you have to call upon the best of your gaming skills to succeed. But above all else, the coolness factor of this game is through the roof! There's special "VFX" powers that Joe uses that slows time down, speeds time up, and zooms in, allowing Joe to perform nifty acrobatic stunts and fighting moves. You can combine any of the aforementioned powers to allow for some truly eye-popping and insanely cool moves. It's hard to explain, but you just FEEL cool while dishing Matrix-esque combos out on enemies, the game is that awesome. Anyone who considers themselves true gamers (and even those who don't!) should at least rent the game, if not buy it. Trust me, you will like this game. If you don't, you must have lost your soul.

1. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!- The Mario Kart series just keeps getting better. having two characters per kart, character-specific items, customized karts, and an downright ruthless AI on 150cc and Mirror Mode make the game the most fun and challenging Mario Kart experience to date.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Here's some of my favorite games that came out in 2003.

10. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (GameCube)- I put this in #10 because I was somewhat disappointed when I rented it. Though the flight portions are fun while they last, they are all too urgent and linear, unlike Rogue Squadron's glory days on the N64 when one could loiter around blasting an Imperial base for as long as one pleased. The on-foot portions, for a Jedi Knight gaming veteran, were woefully shallow and Rambo-esque.

9. Soul Calibur II (GameCube)- I've only played about half an hour's worth of the game when my friend brought it over a few days ago, but the little I played was fantastic! The controls are deceptively simple and hide a very deep gameplay factor. Each character is wholly unique with their own weapons and fighting styles. Fighting as Link was a truly enjoyable experience and gave the game an ultimately cool cross-over feel. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of fighting games.

8. Wario Ware: Mega Microgames! (Game Boy Advance)- Like Viewtiful Joe, Wario Ware is one of those games that reminds you just how fun video games can be. With over 200 literally five-second long microgames, Wario Ware is an insanely fast and funny gaming experience. As the games come fast and furious with almost no break in-between, you can't help but start laughing out loud, not only because of the frenetic pace, but the sheer ludicrousness of some of the games, such as picking a nose, frying an egg or lighting up a city with an electric eel. The replay value is excellent, making Wario Ware a game you'll want to come back to for more.

7. Legend of Zelda: OOT and Master Quest (GameCube)- A pleasant suprise for anyone who pre-ordered the Wind Waker, OOT still proves that it still has a right to be called one of the greatest games ever made, even over five years later. The story is still as timeless and grand as it was back in 1998 and it invoked warm feelings of nostalgia playing it again, like having a reunion with an old friend. The Master Quest puts your gaming skill to the test: it's insanely hard dungeons will leave you scratching your head for days.

6. Star Wars: Jedi Academy (PC)- The ultimate Star Wars game for all us aspiring Jedi wanna-be's who have swung cardboard tubes around in imitation lightsaber battles. It takes elements that made JO great and builds upon them allowing for more saber types, Force powers (for SP) more enemies and more moves. MP was a bit disappointing, although Siege is a great game type. It is in SP that I was impressed. I had a blast playing through SP mode multiple times as it has a replay value that is far longer than JO.

5. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC)- Probably the best MP game I've played in a long time, ET is an outstanding WWII game. The entire game is objective-based missions that stress on teamwork. The character classes are much deeper than JA's character classes, allowing for RPG-esque leveling up and XP points, allowing the classes to learn new abilities as they progress. At the same time, more XP allows for a bit easier time, but is not so overpowered that new players get beaten every time. For a free game, Enemy Territory is a truly great game, one well worth downloading.

4. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (GameCube)- Okay, I'll admit it; I'm a big history buff, especially concerning World War II. Having played games that have only shown the European part of the War, playing Rising Sun was a welcome change that showed the war on the other side of the globe. Unlike MOH: Frontline, (my previous experience with the MOH series) Rising Sun is verychallenging on Normal mode. I was suprised at the ferocity and excellent tactics of the Japanese AI, doing everything from hiding in trees to popping up from holes dug in the ground to brandishing bayonets and samurai swords in determined banzai charges against me. I wondered how EA Games was going to top the adrenaline rush of storming the beaches of Normandy on Frontline. They managed to outdo themselves with a frantic and intense recreation of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Authenticity was spot on, something the series has always been good at. Their MP was suprisingly good, allowing for bots that can be made to be very hard opponents indeed and Team matches as well as standard Free For All's. In all, a fantastic game for WWII buffs like me.

3. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube)- A truly worthy successor to the N64 Zelda games, the Wind Waker is a marvel to play. Contrary to what others may think of it, I have no problem at all with the cel-shaded look to the game. In fact, it adds more character to the game in that it allows for more visible emotions on people's faces than was possible before. The whole world seems alive and vibrant. Though I missed Epona, sailing on the open seas was a welcome change of pace. Though different than previous games, the Wind Waker still has features that all Zelda game has: challenging dungeons, memorable characters, wonderous devices and gargantuan bosses. The only downfall: after playing through the game, like all Zelda games, there's not really enough incentive to play through again.

2. Viewtiful Joe (GameCube)- "HENSHIN A GO GO, BABY!!!" If you've played Viewtiful Joe, you'll understand why I can't stop yelling that phrase. This is truly the reason why video games were made in the first place. It's so simple, yet so complex. It has a wacky sense of humor. The story is so cheesy that it's actually not bad. All sorts of puns and inside jokes are made about popular culture and video games, from Star Wars to the Mario Bros. The music is a nifty rock/techno combo that will have you humming. The game starts easy enough to catch on what to do, but it becomes difficult enough that you have to call upon the best of your gaming skills to succeed. But above all else, the coolness factor of this game is through the roof! There's special "VFX" powers that Joe uses that slows time down, speeds time up, and zooms in, allowing Joe to perform nifty acrobatic stunts and fighting moves. You can combine any of the aforementioned powers to allow for some truly eye-popping and insanely cool moves. It's hard to explain, but you just FEEL cool while dishing Matrix-esque combos out on enemies, the game is that awesome. Anyone who considers themselves true gamers (and even those who don't!) should at least rent the game, if not buy it. Trust me, you will like this game. If you don't, you must have lost your soul.

1. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!- The Mario Kart series just keeps getting better. having two characters per kart, character-specific items, customized karts, and an downright ruthless AI on 150cc and Mirror Mode make the game the most fun and challenging Mario Kart experience to date.

I haven't played most of the games on that list, but not a bad one.

Archived