Home

new civ

Majin Boba Fett

im sure this topic has prolly been covered in someone's layout for SWGB2, but id like to iscolate just this one topic. are there any new civs you'd like to add in addition to the old ones? here are a few suggestions: trandoshans, mandolarions (jango's peeps, not sure how to spell it), hutt cartel, tusken raiders, bounty hunters, etc. the first two would be more tradiotonal, but the last 3 yall prolly think i dum, which it sorta is unless it is used as an unorthadox civ. also, what do y all think of unorthadox civs?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, this has been discussed billions of times before, but what the hey. There should be no new civs (unless there is a major civ in Episode III) because the existing civs were the only ones worth bothering about in the major wars of the galaxy (ie those in the films). The Wookiees are added in to make even numbers and because everyone loves Chewie.

Originally posted by Sithmaster_821

The less the merrier (although not too few to stifle variety)

Now we're talking :D

Mandalorians are gone since quite a time (I think) so we probably won't see them in SWGB 2

Just to comment again on Windu's list, I'd get the Hutts out (c'mon guys, nobody wants to play as fat worms) and the TF should be part of the confeds.

And I'll say it again, 4 civs is the way to go (maybe 5, but due to LA's incapacity to correctly develope completely unique sides, I'd stay with 4)

Darth54 - with the Hutts, you dont actually play as a Hutt, you use their minions. That means using things like Weequey infantry, Rodian sniper's etc. There are no Hutt combat units.

With the Trade Federation, there was quite a stink when i suggested that myself a little while back, and i have to say that i was wrong. The Federation, although for all intents and purposes is part of the Confederacy, is a unique civ. Besides, the TF as a seperate civ is necessary for Ep1 senario's/campaign's.

The Trade Federation are not part of the Confederacy, and in fact they may never properly be. They are allies just like the Gungans and the Naboo.

My evidence is Nute Gunray's line from Attack of the Clones:

"What about the Senator from Naboo? I'm not signing anything until I have her head on my desk."

So he wasn't a proper memeber of the Confederacy then and since Padme won't die until the end of Episode III by which time the Confederacy will probably be defeated, he may never join the Confederacy. Now it is possible that he backs down from this, but I believe Gunray would be very stubborn. The Trade Federation has the strongest army of all the Confederacy's members, so Gunray knows his involvement is desired. He would use that desire to get what he wants (Padme dead).

This may also explain why we see none of the Federation's tanks or fighters in the Battle of Geonosis. Gunray might have had some Droidekas for protection in the arena, but their weren't any of them in the big battle either. To this end it's possible none of the Battle Droids in the battle belonged to the Trade Federation. The Federation starships retreated quite possibly with their armies still on board while the Confederate army protected their escape.

Windu: Good to see you can admit you are wrong sometimes. ;)

Vostok - well, it seems that every game i have seen produced by Lucasarts about the Clone Wars disagree with you. In things like 'Jedi Starfighter' and 'The Clone Wars' the TF is part of the Confederacy - Lucas even said that the TF fighter was supposed to be the main Confed fighter until he came up with the idea of the Geonosian fighter.

You also have to look at it this way. Gunray has been involved in the capture and attempted murder of a Republican Senator and two Jedi. When the galaxy is polarised into two seperate camps, the Republic and Confederacy, who do you think they would join? It also makes sense in that the TF isnt exactly happy under the Republic either.

Windu, I think you may be getting confused between "Separatists" and "Confederacy of Independent Systems". Throughout Attack of the Clones, Dooku and his allies are referred to as "Seperatists" and not as the Confederacy. The Trade Federation is undoubtedly a part of the Separatists, since they have separated from the Republic. The Confederacy was formed during the meeting Obi-Wan was spying on, and the Trade Federation is not a part of the Confederacy - according to the movies, that is.

I'd be interested to see whether your George Lucas quote specifies Confeds or just Separatists.

Vostok - you have to remember though that 'Confederacy' (as opposed to Coalition, Alliance etc) is a loose association of members. Take the Confederacy from the US Civil war for example. Each state had it's own army/armies which operated independatly of each other, but were co-ordinated by a Confederate General.

As for the Droid Starfighter, i was slightly wrong, i dont know if it was Lucas himself or not but you can be pretty sure it was. Anyway, the 'quote' is here-

"Initially, the droid starfighter seen in Episode I was to be the primary air defense for the Separatists, but it was decided instead to give the Geonosians their own fighter craft."

That's a nice point about the word "Confederacy", Windu, but in Star Wars the Confederacy of Independent Systems refers to those Separatists that signed Dooku's treaty. The Trade Federation as far as we know are not signatory to it.

That quote really just proves my point, because they used the term Separatists (which the Trade Federation are part of) and not Confederacy (which the Trade Federation are not part of).

Unfortunately no, it isnt on the DVD. I think that the tank scene, like the Droid Ship Raid scene, was included in the first screenings for critics etc but was later taken out.

I would love to see it put back into the film, but at the moment, i class the Jedi Hanger as the coolest Ep2 deleted scene.

The Confederacy Assault Mech and Republic Speeder Bikes mentioned by Luke's Dad can be seen on the AotC DVD. I think they're shown at some point in the feature about visual effects, possibly during the closing credits. They're unsophisticated cgi, not properly completed. I think this is as far as they got, they were never actually completed for the film.

The Republic Speeder Bike bit is especially cool, it get's my vote for coolest deleted bit. You see a couple of Clone Troopers on speeder bikes zoom through the legs of a Homing Spider Droid, then they throw a grenade which sticks to the underbelly of the walker, which of course blows it up. I liked the idea so much that in my SWGB2 Design I gave my Clone Bikers grenades that are good against Mechs.

Really? I never saw it - must hire it out again and look. Anyhow, from what i know of it, it seemed pretty cool and would have been great to see in the film, i even have a Hasbro Clone Trooper on Speeder Bike figure.

I too have the Republic Speeder Bike Clone's having grenades which are effective against Mechs in my SWGB2 template.

Ok, people, I have been thinking about this for a while, and I have decided against the version of SWGB2 that my template showed, in favor of a new idea. Its not drastically different, but it contradicts some statements I have made in the past. I'll leave you guys in suspense until I can get my lazy butt into making a separate thread. Probably will be later today or tommorrow.

Archived