Home

Beta Testers! Beta Testers! Beta Testers!

razorace

So, basically, you want us to bend over backwards so you don't have to worry about properly training your admins. Well, I'm sorry, but that's not our problem. If you don't trust your admins, you shouldn't have them in the first place.

Secondly, slap's function is ONLY as an torture device. Simply kicking someone or just admin chatting to them is plenty warning before you ban them for bad behavior. Slap will not be in OJP.

Sorry to be so harss about this but a lot of us here firmly beleive that torture ("admin") commands were a major factor in turning a lot of people away from JK2 and JKA.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the slap thing i use after my chat warning...thats why i said give it a long time limit...so it cant be abused...but i can do without slap ne way...its not that i dont want to train my admins...its just clans usualy dont train admins at all...its kinda a learning thing...besides...it saves my server incase someone gets ahold of my pass..they would have less chance of messing up the server.

the reason im posting this time is because i thaught up a nice alternative to extra saber styles...see im an old school saberist and dont like new saber styles while others do...

so if its possible, it might be a nice bonus to the mod to make extra saber styles optional...maybe even pick which saber styles you want and what ones you dont...even pick the order they come in...or pick any 3 styles and the order they come in. that would be a nice idea to put in a mod.

oh yeah about the admin thing...remember, this isnt just for me...alot of clans are dependant on JA+ because JA+ is the only admin mod that is half way decent as far as i know of. you could give clans an option. with your mod, and im sure once again...they would be happy to switch over since your mod would have more to offer than JA+

And how often has someone screwed up your server?

Slap is abusive. There is no such thing as "teaching someone a leason" on a server that ISN'T admin abuse. If they don't pay attention, kick them.

Finally, if you're worried about subadmins screwing up your server, just enable voting. I've been told that people are afraid to enable voting because the players can screw up the gametype or map rotation but I can easily fix that.

however you want to setup such a thing thats fine...but i still think sub admins would be a nice touch although it probubly is very hard to do. but if its too much hassle for such a small thing im sure everyone can work off of voting...even though most people dont really vote in FFA's.

ty for your concideration on the topic though. i really do apreciate it

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm quite late. I promised I'd have testes OJP Basic and never gave feedback but I indeed use it.

I'm currently using v. 005 b3 and found a bug. When I use the staff and switch to single stance to throw the saber, the game hangs and quits.

My brother and I often play together with a Serial Null modem Cable, usually FFA, Duel or Siege.

I play on WinXP home, Duron 1GHZ, 256MB mem and host every game.

My brother on Win98se, Celeron 433, 192MB mem.

If you need a particular situation to test tell me :)

Originally posted by lazoras

oh yeah about the admin thing...remember, this isnt just for me...alot of clans are dependant on JA+ because JA+ is the only admin mod that is half way decent as far as i know of. you could give clans an option. with your mod, and im sure once again...they would be happy to switch over since your mod would have more to offer than JA+

No offense, but if these guys are dependant on JA+ its likely because of their huge egos (or simple ignorance that there are other mods out there). Rcon is just as easy to use as any other system devised (except the lazy "banning gun" functions I've seen in some of the mods).

Xmod2 is much better for clan use, it has far more options that are actually useful (gameplay tweaks, admin settings) rather than just a bunch of ampunish commands + additional gametypes and chat invulnerability.

It accomplishes the same goals, but much more efficiently.

OJP need not be another admin mod, so I think Razor has the right idea here. Kudos.

http://ojp.jediknight.net/files/betas/ojpblockbeta1.rar

Ok, since I went to the effort of packing it, I figured I'd let you guys check out the what we're working on.

This beta is of the lastest OJP Enhanced compile. there is NO documentation but if operates just like the last beta expect for ledgegrabbing and new animations for the block system. Please note that the new block system is in DEEP WIP terroritory. It's not working as planned and will be improved over time.

Nice to see it in place, though I noticed a funny red trail of lines that follow the saber whenever block is held. Always at a 90 degree angle to the ground. Plus, the blocks don't work very well as of yet :) I have yet to see any side blocking, it's all around the upper regions. I've noticed the yellow stance and red tance downward strikes are often not blocked, if ever.

This is my first post to this forum, but I have been lurking for the past few days. I've read all the pages in this thread (among others), and thought I'd describe an idea I had (and that Master_Keralys alluded to earlier). Before I start rambling, I must say that I have not yet tried any version of the OJP mods. I loved JO and JA, but have not played either in a long time. However, it looks like the OJP is going to be the one thing that makes me play again...great sounding mod so far.

Anyway, on to my idea. In an earlier post, RazorAce stated that he was going for a more "realistic" feel for the mod, and I assume he meant as realistic as possible within the Star Wars universe. I completely agree with that direction. Related to this realistic vision, a dodge bar has been designed. There has also been a lot of discussion regarding the fatigue vs. dodge bars, with the current version having a dodge bar.

I think having a general fatigue bar would make the mod more realistic than the dodge bar. Here's why: in all of the Star Wars books, movies, comics, cartoons, etc. you can see a physical and metaphysical aspect to all Jedi actions. This could be reflected by a fatigue bar (i.e., physical exertion) and the force bar (i.e., metaphysical exertion). The act of dodging is just one action, which can be performed purely physically or Force-aided. It seems to me that the most realistic option would be to have a break-down of all in-game actions and assign them "costs" from both the physical and metaphysical pools (fatigue and force). Some could be solely fatigue-based, some could be solely Force-based, some could be a mixture, and some actions could be influenced by the player. This would also neatly deal with a lot of the issues brought up by others. Here's some examples:

Action // Force cost // Fatigue cost

Dodging // 0 // 10

Force-aided dodge // 10 // 10

"Regular" saber swing // 0 // 5

Force-aided saber swing // variable // variable (depends on kata/stance/special move)

Regular jump // 0 // 15

Force jump // 10/sec // 15

Force healing // 60 // 30

Running // 0 // 10/sec

Force running/speed // 10/sec // 10/sec

Of course, these would all need to be balanced, but it would be the most realistic depiction of action. It would:

-depict the physical exhaustion after intense Force usage (e.g., Force healing, as RazorAce pointed out in an earlier post)

-encourage limited use of special moves (i.e., limit spamming)

-limit running, jumping, etc.

-encourage more "fencing-like" duels since normal saber swings would require little fatigue

-reflect different levels of Jedi training. For example, a Padawan-level Force user in the game would rely less on the Force and more on the physical because they have a smaller Force pool to draw from and longer recovery times, which would reflect his/her limited training in the Force (Luke in ESB vs. Yoda in AOTC). The higher ranked a player is, the more Force they are able to use.

-be available for other non-Star Wars mods based on OJP (e.g., a medieval mod could simply remove Force usage but could retain the fatigue portion)

Of course, it would have to be determined how/when the Force-aided actions are used (e.g., player activated, when to have dodges be automatically Force-aided, etc.). Anyway, that was just my idea for having it be as realistic as possible. I also have no idea whether such a thing would be possible coding-wise. It sounds as if the current system is close to this, I just think having a separate fatigue meter makes more sense than a dodge bar, as dodging is simply one of many actions that requires physical effort and which can be aided by the Force. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Look forward to playing the OJP and all the upcoming versions.

Irimi-Ai

PS If I had a lot of money, I would seriously pay the developer’s/coders for your work on this mod. Please don’t let it fizzle out.

Archived