Home

Beta Testers! Beta Testers! Beta Testers!

razorace

Ok, guys. Phunk's a really beleiver of beta testing and I agree for the most part with him about it. To make sure all the components of OJP are working properly, we need to get as much game time with them as possible.

However, I'm stuck on a dail up and Phunk's busy with MB2, so we need someone to lead up beta testing OJP under true MP conditions. As such, I'm suggesting we change the way beta testing occurs around here.

The deal is that I'll start creating regular beta packages of whatever distro you want to beta in exchange for you playing the mod to check for bugs. And since the project is already open source to start with, I'm going to suggest we do open beta testing.

Those who regularly beta test and/or report bugs will be given beta tester credit and much more consideration when it comes to me personally implimenting their ideas.

Please let me if you're interested.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing I noticed by checking the info given by the Console upon loading JA:

WARNING: Unknown token ROOT in models/players/_humanoid/animation.cfg

It appears something is mistyped in animation.cfg, but apparently doesn't affect much.

Aqua saber color only has the white core, no aqua blade color is present.

More as I continue to test it and read the documentation to know what I'm exactly testing and how it's supposed to behave.

Edit: Nice idea with the manual block, works well but... are the saber swings supposed to be about 1/4 or 1/3 of the regular speed?

Played with this for a while and hitting (or being hit for that matter) was quite impossible unless katas or special moves were used since they are the only thing moving in normal speed.

Normal moves are way too easily dodged by simply doing a hop, roll, sidestep or backstep.

Edit 2: Bots become rather useless with this swing speed.

I spawned the Alora bot and just stood there, saber off, while it continuously kept trying to hit me.

The result was the bot constantly stepping back in the wrong moments, thus missing the swing entirely, or constantly missing due to dodge bar (nice work with the dodge system by the way) refilling fast enough due to the constant bot swing misses; it took about 10 minutes for the bot to manage to kill my iddle, saber off, character.

I saw my opponent being knocked to the floor from simply swinging a dual wield saber at me, while I was just simply standing, doing nothing, holding a double saber; not sure how normal this is, but I didn't see it mentioned in the sabersys.txt readme.

Edit 3: The run up the wall animation is also slowed down just like the swing animations, making it look like they are sliding up the wall; the consequent jump off the wall animation at the top of the run is also slowed down.

Jumping off a wall animates propperly, but if you stick to the wall and then jump off, the animation is slowed down.

Originally posted by Darth Sun

First thing I noticed by checking the info given by the Console upon loading JA:

WARNING: Unknown token ROOT in models/players/_humanoid/animation.cfg

It appears something is mistyped in animation.cfg, but apparently doesn't affect much.

It's a general bug with the JKA debug system. Raven didn't account for the "root" animation when they created the system.

I'll fix that soon.

Edit: Nice idea with the manual block, works well but... are the saber swings supposed to be about 1/4 or 1/3 of the regular speed?

Played with this for a while and hitting (or being hit for that matter) was quite impossible unless katas or special moves were used since they are the only thing moving in normal speed.

Normal moves are way too easily dodged by simply doing a hop, roll, sidestep or backstep.

try increasing the saber animation speed with the new saber animation speed cvar (g_saberanimspeed) I think. I personally like .5. It defualts to .25 (novice speed). Since I've been hearing complaints about that speed, I think I'll boost the default to .5.

Edit 2: Bots become rather useless with this swing speed.

I spawned the Alora bot and just stood there, saber off, while it continuously kept trying to hit me.

The result was the bot constantly stepping back in the wrong moments, thus missing the swing entirely, or constantly missing due to dodge bar (nice work with the dodge system by the way) refilling fast enough due to the constant bot swing misses; it took about 10 minutes for the bot to manage to kill my iddle, saber off, character.

Noted, the bots are pretty retarded when it comes to the new system.

I saw my opponent being knocked to the floor from simply swinging a dual wield saber at me, while I was just simply standing, doing nothing, holding a double saber; not sure how normal this is, but I didn't see it mentioned in the sabersys.txt readme.

Running while attacking has a much higher chance of critical failure (dropping saber/knockback/knockdown).

Edit 3: The run up the wall animation is also slowed down just like the swing animations, making it look like they are sliding up the wall; the consequent jump off the wall animation at the top of the run is also slowed down.

Jumping off a wall animates propperly, but if you stick to the wall and then jump off, the animation is slowed down.

Ok, I never noticed that, that's not right. I'll fix that soon.

Thanks for your input. :)

When you have debugmelee enabled you can press and hold jump to remain stuck to the wall; when you release jump to hop off the wall, the animation is played with the speed the saber animation is set (by default 1/4th of the speed).

Same goes for the run up the wall animation (forward+2xJump in front of a wall).

I've only just run a test of the mod with bots, but I hope to do a group testing with my clan sometime soon.

Apart from the previously mentioned things, I noticed some clipping issues with TrueView.

This happens when doing a Blue/Fast full turn swing and facing downwards.

[screenies]

1, 2, 3 & 4

One other clipping I noticed is facing down in the Red/Heavy stance.

[screenies]

Clickie

Also in all of the screenshots, what is that meter up top?

Most of the clipping during a spin are occuring because you don't have any of the camera movement while spinning activated. See the readme for details.

As for the saber clipping in heavy stance, there's not much I can do since that's due to a variety of factors beyond my control.

However, I suppose there's some additional things I could try if people really want less clipping in True View.

List of bugs, anoyances and tedious features that were turned on and forgot the cvars to turn them off. I think saber speed should be by default, normal speed IE 1, I felt like it was a matrix scene with all the slow moves, it drove me nuts, atleast have it in the menu so people don't always have to remember the cvar. 2, force regen, dang not being able to regen force while moving sucks, I run to test the force fall, I jump, suprisingly enough it's a normal jump and a perfectly normal fall even though I hadn't used the force since 3 minutes ago, again have it by default set to normal, regen at any time except while using force, give it a menu thing. The blade colors, rock. Everything is fine except for what has been mentioned in previous posts and the tedious features which were automaticly turned on, dang I just can't remember all those cvars. note that I am not trying to sound rude, idiotic or whiny in any way.

no I realy like OJP enhanced, u don't have to be so rude about it, I just don't like slow saber speed by default which can be adjusted without ojp :p and I don't like having to stand there to regen my force pool. People aren't going to stand for 2 minutes then jump, they are jumping on the run. The mod is realy great but u should atleast make certain features optional

Obvious bugs:

- When destroying the pillars in the fortress map I got this message at the top of my screen:

i: Client 183550 was an invalid self entity in G_DoDodge.

- When the mod is loaded, and you return to the mod list under setup, only the first letter of each mod is shown.

I also encountered a few of the previously mentioned problems (the wall climb speed bug).

Gameplay stuff:

- I could get my saber stuck in a wall when I was running by it with only a single saber, but not with either the double saber or the dual sabers. I don't think I should be getting stuck on walls to begin with.

- The lack of force regen is too much. Either greatly increase the regen rate while not moving and walking, or put it back to theway it was. Having to stand around for a while to let your force regenerate is not a good feature for an action game. Reminds me of an MMORPG =(

- With the saberanimspeed at 0.5, while the speeds for dual sabers, and blue and yellow stances for single saber are fine. The animation for red stance and the double saber are painfully slow.

- I have yet to see a clean hit with a saber. I watched two bots sit in a corner and wail on each other for almost a minute before one died. I even tried to take a swipe every now and then, but my saber would just bounce off. So, I stood still, without my saber out and let a bot have at me. When I wasn't hit for 2-5 damage, the saber would pass clean through me and do no damage.

- Maybe manual block should slow you down? Just seemed to make sense to me.

- Dodge.... I think I only had it work once and it made me roll backwards. Not cool. If I was fighting on a ledge or bridge, I'd have rolled off.

I really don't understand what you are trying to do with this mod. On one hand you try to make it more realistic and give more freedom, and make it less random and automatic by adding manual saber blocking, but on the other hand you add a dodge system where it seems like the idea is to totally automate all forms of protecting yourself from a saber.

- View lock... Even though I saw mention of it, I couldn't find how to activate it in the documentation. If it is what I think it is, a console-esque system to automatically lock your view onto another player, then I don't want it anyways. If this is true... Again, are you trying to automate saber combat or add freedom? Please don't do both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can no doubt tell, I didn't have the opportunity to play with another person, which is unfortunate. If anything does actually work different with real opponents than bots, just mention it.

I must say though, I'm impressed with how much you have got to work. It looks very promising!

After lowering the dodge regen speed, turning off always run and increasing saber speed I found it more playable..

I feel like this new system is hard to master.. but quite cool...

Things I noticed

While using a pistol it displays the message "charging up" for some reason... not a big issue really.

When using grapples, if another player swings at the person your grappling they go into a dodge anim and break out of your grapple..I can't remember if you continue the grapple animation.

Manual blocking... this could just be me but it seems you have to walk backwards while blocking before you can go into a pure forward block...

Dodge roll can be annoying if it chucks you off the edge.

Wow you actually found a use for meditating, walking and standing still.

Nice one!

Umm... results of manual blocking and even normal blocking seem...random. My imagination again prehaps.

Everything else seems damn cool. I'm not entirely sure having stamina and force share the same meter was a good idea but apart from that everything seems fine..

Had a little more time to spend with the mod.

However this time the mod acted completely different, and the only thing I have changed was the animspeed.

Instead of the sabers just bouncing off of opponents, they dodged everything.

I still believe the rolling dodges are a huge no no. I am very much against the game launching me off in a manner I do not intend.

Dodging seems overly effective, so much so that it over shadows manual blocking. I had to get insane amounts of clean hits (which were all dodged) on my opponent to kill them.

I'm also still in the dark as to what viewlock is.

Originally posted by Admiral Chemix

no I realy like OJP enhanced, u don't have to be so rude about it, I just don't like slow saber speed by default which can be adjusted without ojp :p and I don't like having to stand there to regen my force pool. People aren't going to stand for 2 minutes then jump, they are jumping on the run. The mod is realy great but u should atleast make certain features optional

oh, ok. You had just been railing on Enhanced previously and I thought you were complaining about it in general rather than specific features of it.

The saber speed has been boosted to .5 by defualt.

As for fatigue, the concept is to make it so players will walk and block attacks instead of running everywhere while spamming attack.

- When destroying the pillars in the fortress map I got this message at the top of my screen:

i: Client 183550 was an invalid self entity in G_DoDodge.

Fixed.

- When the mod is loaded, and you return to the mod list under setup, only the first letter of each mod is shown.

Yeah, I think that has to do with Teancum's menu enhancements. I've already asked him to look into it.

Gameplay stuff:

- I could get my saber stuck in a wall when I was running by it with only a single saber, but not with either the double saber or the dual sabers. I don't think I should be getting stuck on walls to begin with.

- With the saberanimspeed at 0.5, while the speeds for dual sabers, and blue and yellow stances for single saber are fine. The animation for red stance and the double saber are painfully slow.

Agreed.

- I have yet to see a clean hit with a saber. I watched two bots sit in a corner and wail on each other for almost a minute before one died. I even tried to take a swipe every now and then, but my saber would just bounce off. So, I stood still, without my saber out and let a bot have at me. When I wasn't hit for 2-5 damage, the saber would pass clean through me and do no damage.

You need to boost your "sv_fps" setting. I really need to document that issue. Anyway, set it to 50 or 100 and try again.

- Maybe manual block should slow you down? Just seemed to make sense to me.

Why?

- Dodge.... I think I only had it work once and it made me roll backwards. Not cool. If I was fighting on a ledge or bridge, I'd have rolled off.

I really don't understand what you are trying to do with this mod. On one hand you try to make it more realistic and give more freedom, and make it less random and automatic by adding manual saber blocking, but on the other hand you add a dodge system where it seems like the idea is to totally automate all forms of protecting yourself from a saber.

The idea is to give maximum control but at the same time preventing the sabers from being unrealistic (IE pass thru or a lot of touching without killing the victim).

I agree that the dodge rolls probably need some sort of check to make sure you don't just roll off cliffs. I'm still thinking of ways to do that.

- View lock... Even though I saw mention of it, I couldn't find how to activate it in the documentation. If it is what I think it is, a console-esque system to automatically lock your view onto another player, then I don't want it anyways. If this is true... Again, are you trying to automate saber combat or add freedom? Please don't do both.

No, it is a system to pretty sabers from passing thru objects on impact unless you actually killed them first. So far, it seems to work fine against wall objects but I haven't had much luck testing it against players/sabers. This needs more testing.

It's always on and it is the cause of the "getting stuck on walls" issue that was mentioned before.

While using a pistol it displays the message "charging up" for some reason... not a big issue really.

That's a debug compile message. Just ignore it since it will not be in the final compiles.

When using grapples, if another player swings at the person your grappling they go into a dodge anim and break out of your grapple..I can't remember if you continue the grapple animation.

Great job catching that one. I totally forgot about that. I've added a fix. It will be in the next beta.

Manual blocking... this could just be me but it seems you have to walk backwards while blocking before you can go into a pure forward block...

Please explain farther, I don't know what you mean.

Umm... results of manual blocking and even normal blocking seem...random. My imagination again prehaps.

It is random to some degree (luck, freak accidents, and all that) but I'm trying to make it as dependant on the situation as possible. Do you have some suggestions on how I can improve it?

Originally posted by Admiral Chemix

still please atleast make a toggling cvar for it

I don't currently see a need for it. Adding cvars only muddles up the server waters and would throw off the game balance. While it does take some getting used to, I think it's for the best.

Archived