Home

Beta Testers! Beta Testers! Beta Testers!

razorace

Originally posted by razorace

I've been getting some requests for a new beta release (perferably with the new TAB Bot). I'm going to be shooting for a beta release (either of Enhanced or Basic) by Friday.

I know it's been a while, but please hang with us there. I've been pretty busy with my consulting job and all the new OJP features that are being worked on are pretty complex.

awesome. No problem with waiting. The OJP teams work is well worth waiting.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok dokie. We're on track for release late today (I gotta go sleep and then go to work).

Anyway, this is what I've implimented so far in terms of the TAB Bot:

• Advanced Waypoint Navigation System - Using computer science's best known real time pathfinding system, the A* Algorethm, TAB Bots take the shortest possible waypoint route to get to where they want to go.
  • Fix for the bots not clicking ready at game intermission.
  • Bots use Katas.
  • Three tiered AI structure
  • text based bot ordering system
  • system designed to be portable and modulated. You can even have the TAB Bots in the same game as the original JKA bots

I ran some 3 on 3, sabers only, no force, single sabers only, team FFA pitting the TAB Bots vs. the old bots and there's the scores:

With friendly fire: 50 TAB to 9 Old

Without friendly fire: 50 TAB - 16 Old

Note: The TAB Bots currently only use the medium stance so these numbers will only go up from here.

Keep in mind that this is still a prototype system. Only two commands have been implimented and the TAB Bots still do a lot of stupid stuff, heck, they don't even lead their targets yet.

hey, I got a question, Okay, This is the first time it's happend to me, but suddenly OJP is starting to do this when I start it up.

ojp_error.jpg

do you know what might be causing it?

I Look in the console and get no texture errors or anything, It just shows up that way. and In game it does too. I start the regular JA and it works fine, but once I load OJP it does this. :\

I've tested both basic and enhanced and they're both doing this to me now. For no reason. :\

I've deleted the directories. restarted my comp and reinstalled them and I still get that problem.

Ok guys, still on track to doing a beta release tonight.

Based on the status of the ledgegrab (almost done, but the animations haven't been finalized), I'm going to hold a Enhanced beta until that's finished. We want to be sure that the additional download time is worth the wait. :)

Anyway, I'm in the middle of tweaking some stuff so everything is ready to go. Should be an hour or so.

Yeah, as I mentioned in the Bot Saber Combat thread, the bots currently only use the medium stance and only try to do the katas (none of the special moves yet). I'll be working on that once we figure out how the bots should change stances.

this isnt really a bug, but can you guys add the wall hang thing and the new bots to the basic mod along with some admin commands? im looking for something that can fix JA, and enhance it a little...but i also want control of my server. if this is possible i, along with millions of other people that host would very very very much appreciate it.

The new bots (at least a prototype of them) is already in the lastest Basic Beta.

Ledge grab will not be going into Basic because it's a gameplay change and I think it will screw up the purpose of Basic to force people to download 12+ mgs of animation data just to play it.

And what sort of admin commands are you talking about? Base JKA already has a fully implimented admin system.

well...to tell you the truth...i think this mod has massive potential to dominate all of JA if it would team up with the JA+ team.

think of it this way...i fully functional admin system like JA (along with all its extra features like saber altering and kick flip altering and blah blah blah) plus the wall hang (this is something alot of JA players are dieing to have) and the new bot system.

oh yeah i dont know how your bot system works but this is an idea that someone else had for AI.

ah i cant find the link :( but anyway i can explain it.

bots run off a list of possible options and randomly choose one. this guys idea was to take the bots and give them all the possible options to start off with. everytime the bot dies or loses something the bot permanently eliminates that option until only the good options are left in the long run. this makes dumb bots at first but would create very life like bots later on. he said something about having all the bots work off of the same pool or something to keep down the file size. but i think this is a good idea because i know as an experienced saberist that the ability to adapt to a persons saber style is critical to being a good saberist. not to mention you can give the bot tactics instead of random swings and the choice to run or fight. for example there are special combinations of swings that are more affective than others...same goes for dodging tactics...i use a very traditional tactic whenever i face a red style saberist for example...my tactic is to run around to the left and cut in to the right side so my aponent misses me and doesnt have time to swing the second time before ive hit him atleast twice..then i back off and do it again until he figures it out and i have to randomly come up with another tactic to fit my aponents style of fighting...maybe you can make a bot something like that ;) sry for rambling...you probubly already had that idea :(

but back to the over all mod. i really beleive if you could team up with ja+ mod and add your wall hang and maybe a couple other nice touches...for example you could soup up the wall jump so you can do a wall run and jump off the wall run onto another wall and do a wall jump without touching the ground...kinda like ninja gaden.....or eliminating the static on the roll...you could make it so you can go imidiatly from a roll to a jump like you could do in real life. but anyway...that would be the perfect mod in my eyes...and im sure in many others...the problem with ja+ is it doesnt fix the bugs and doesnt have anything really exiting and cool like wall hang and the capabilities to soup up wall run and other things like i previously mentioned.

do you think it would be worth a try to make such a mod?

team up with the JA+ team

I have personal issues against seeing that happen as well as I'm sure a few others do. Its been well documented that Admin mods destroyed the JO community.

That is why Slider only made his mod server side. Because no regular player would download something like that. So it was made for those who want to control everybody who comes to their server no matter base game or modded.

As for evolutionary AI, the problem with it is that it requires a lot of evolve time especially when the situation it's dealling with is fluid. Unfortunately, that's not really doable since JKA runs in real time. You'd have to have the computer continuously play for years to get a good system out of it.

Plus, those types of system are hard on the system resources. JKA has to have a light enough so that multiple bots can play at the same time.

Ok, beta 3 for Basic v0.0.5 is out. The only changes since beta 2 have been making the Tab Bots work in siege. It's pretty early stage stuff, but, they can get all the way to the coffin without help (barely) on Korriban.

I've only tried things on Korriban but the code we have now should cover most of the objectives on the other maps. The game will spam you with an error message if the bot are trying to do an objective that they don't know how to complete.

There's what I know doesn't work:

- Rebels can't attack the coffin.

- No jump ability checking (meaning that the bots will attempt the jump wheither they have the nessicary force points or skill level.

- Bots will often jump into Lava after a dropped siege item (crystals)

- Bots suck at getting the blue crystal and staff.

- Defender bots hump the doors that haven't been broken yet and don't defend very well either.

- Attackers are single minded when attacking walls/breakables.

- Bots don't defend themselves when waiting for elevators or Pulling/Pushing buttons/platforms.

- There's no bot orders for siege yet.

- Bot's only do objectives in order.

i dont want to control everyone that comes in my server...but i do want to be able to get rid of lamers and people who are out right rude. i plan on establishing a nice duel server with fully custom maps (im a mapper :) ) every month ill put a new map on or replace an old map. blah blah blah. but at the same time i also plan on having a nice FFA server and would like to see the wall hang...but i would need some admin control because i cant watch the server all the time. maybe if you dont go over board with the admin powers like slider did. slider has admin powers that are souly for abusing which i constantly complain on servers about. can you make it so there are only a few admin powers and two admin logins...council and knight logins...council has kick ban abilities, slap (make it so there is a long timelimit..kinda like a time out that admins dont have to wake the person up afterward), and kick. knight would have everything council has accept kickban. im sure players wont mind downloading a mod with the bug fixes, the wall hang, plus if you guys decide to soup up wall run and wall jump just as long as thats all the admin powers there are. oh yeah...a grappling hook would be a nice touch if you made it toggleable...along with a jet pack... and add a function for jedi vs merc...mercs get the jetpack and jedi get the grapple kinda thing. that would be awsome, and im sure everyone wouldnt mind downloading it.

Kick, ip ban abilities, and remote adminning are all in base JKA. If you believe otherwise, you've been told wrong.

Secondly, exactly what are you looking for and would you be able to guarentee dedicated server time for the mod if I was to add those functions?

i know about the base JA admin powers. the problem with using the base JA admin powers is you have to use rcon and i dont want to give my rcon password out. thats why i mentioned the two logins council and knight like in JA+.

about the garentee... i know that if a mod is made something like i described with a balance of admin powers and advancements like i have described...the mod is definetly going to be a hit. my server will definetly use it..and im sure most others will as well because of it fixing all the bugs and souping up things that can be made better...and the wall grab would definetly put it over the top. the mod would be what JA was supposed to be like, and had the potential to be. with the admin powers so limited clients wont mind downloading the mod because of all the benefits (not to mention its almost impossible to abuse admin powers) and servers will love to download it because it fixes all the bugs which makes the game funner = more clients and still gives them some control over their server (giving admin powers and what not without giving away rcon password). which keeps down the laming and keeps jerks from causing unjustified caos.

i cant garentee this mod will be used by everyone...but i can say that it will definetly give JA+ a run for its money.

First off, mentioning JA+ in any sort of positive light around here is only going to make people not listen to you. We don't like admin mods and OJP will never be like them, period.

However, we are open to reasonable admin upgrades, like what Kurgan has been suggesting for a cvar that forces team balance.

So, please explain why you're afraid to hand out the rcon password when you're willing to do that "subadmin" stuff.

i mention JA+ because its the best admin mod around...but its also the greatest joke as far as admin abuse is concerned... i myself am strictly against admin abuse to where i have limited all admin powers to kick kickban and sleep because i am so much against it. i care for both parties of the game because i like to go to other servers without BS admins but also like to keep lamers and what not out of my own server. i dont like giving rcon away because i dont want my admins to have access to advanced server settings. for example...some of my admins may not know what certain cvars do or the exact command for that cvar...so by making the choice easy and limited (kickbacn kick and slap (with a long wait time) this makes it easier for them and less chance for them to mess up the server. my aim...the reason i am posting on this forum so much...is because i want to get rid of JA+ because it gives too much power to admins but at the same time your mod provides bug fixes and alot of other really nice things. but doesnt have any sub-admins to keep my server safe from being messed up or hacked or whatever else anyone might be able to do to it. i beleive admin powers are good...but should be limited so that abuse is almost impossible....or abuse is not fun at all for the admin. (i personaly like to just hunt the lamer down myself and out play the lamer) however not everyone of my admins has enough skill to take on some lamers. thus...some admin powers are required.

dont get me wrong...when i say admin powers i mean extreemly strict and small admin powers. for example, kick kickban and slap (with a long time limit on it) are my idea of perfect admin settings.

Archived