Home

Best Games Ever

When i was about 10 or 11 I completed the 1st 2 Monkey Island games on the Amiga. Since then over the years i've played many games on PC's, Playstations etc, but never Monkey Island 3 or 4.

The over day i got my hands on the first 2 games and have started to play them for the 1st time in 9 or 10 years and they are awesome. I can't believe that over the years they haven't lost it.

Here are my questions though, are the over 2 really up to the standards i'm going to expect? Does the fancy graphics and sound of the 2 more recent ones spoil it 4 me? Or will i enjoy them just as much?

You'll almost certainly enjoy CMI, since it sticks to the point 'n' click 2D roots and features some beautiful background artwork. The storyline is also pretty decent, although not sticking strictly to the original vision it continues the story well. The main gripe most people have is the cartoonish characters.

EMI on the other hand is not so good. The 3D graphics don't really do it for me, and the locations are pretty crap in my opinion. The storyline is also mashed up a bit, with various plot holes being opened up and such. It's a fun game, but nowhere near as good as the previous trio.

I found my old CMI CDs today after a whole 6 years.... what a nostalgia. The main intro music is one of the best scores I have ever heard in my life (and I'm mainly a black metal fan, mind you).

Anyway, I can safely claim that the game is the best in the series (with the possible exception of the first game, which I haven't played yet), and probably will stay one of my top 3 favourites of all time. Your loss will be huge if you don't go for it at once.

I enjoyed CMI as much as MI1&2, I didn't really liked EFMI and havent ever finished it, I personally think that controls ruined that game, and adventure games doesnt quite work without point ' n' click. Other good adventure games u should try are The Longest Journey and Syberia if u havent played those yet. Those are almost as good as Monkey Island games =)

EMI was actually the first MI game I ever played, and is what got me into the series in the first place. I absolutely love it still, after having played the other three. I love the whimsical cartoonish graphics, the voice acting, the cutscenes...everything. The plot's pretty good, but very different from the other three. But, in my opinion, that's a good thing; keeps the series fresh. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but after about 10 minutes of playing you'll have them pretty much down. Great game.

CMI is also very good, with it's own unique style. The hand-drawn animation is excellent, voices (except Elaine) are also exellent.

In short, buy both games, and enjoy them. All of th MI games are great.

Archived