Home

Map tutoriel

LukeKatarn

45-degree joints between brushes that make a 90-degree angle are best, like so:

From what I remember 45 degree joins are bad for BSP size and speed; I swear that's true. It's best to make brushes touch in the regular 90 degree way and caulk the face of the brush that touches the other brush.

Originally posted by wedge2211

It's not just compile time...it's game engine issues. If you have textures being drawn offscreen (because they are on a brush that extends into the next one), that will suck up resources. Also, you'll get sparklies--a nasty visual effect that makes maps look very unprofessional.

I follow what you're saying, like I said I'm new, good info though thanks

Originally posted by WadeV1589

From what I remember 45 degree joins are bad for BSP size and speed; I swear that's true. It's best to make brushes touch in the regular 90 degree way and caulk the face of the brush that touches the other brush.

Really? Do you know why this is?

I think Leslie Judge had done some experiments and the 45-degree joints prevented some problems during the light stage, like colored light leaking outside of the walls that were supposed to contain it.

The other thing is that if you have to texture the OUTSIDE of that L-shaped junction, a 45-degree joint will allow you to only have to texture two surfaces, rather than three that you would have to take care of if you did this:

_____
_____|  <-- one surface
   ||  <-- two surfaces
   ||

If that happens, the engine has to take care of two surfaces that really coincide (I think--that may be old SOF2MAP know-how, back when the -meta flag didn't exist). There are also some shapes that I found the best way to build them anyways was with angled joints. And...I plan to be a real engineer, not just a game engineer, so I like to keep myself rooted in the real world. It may jsut be a matter of preference, but if there are real performance drawbacks, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Looking around the best I can find is the reason you should avoid it is it overcomplicates the BSP making it bigger and more complex than in necessary.

In some situations it's probably a good idea though (like your exterior texturing of the L shape there) but if you don't need to texture the outsides then you really should not be mitering them. Also if the tri count is low then the benefits will be insignificant, you only really need to do it when you've got excess triangles on screen and so every little helps.

Originally posted by Jedi_Vogel

Some of us run on a budget and can't afford Max. However, I know I will have to model eventually, but is GMax (with that extra addon thing for glm export and the only one I can afford!) ok for modelling. yes this is the mapping forum, but if I ask this question in moddeling I'll prolly get ignored!!

what? are you talking about the free dl you can do? cause I dl it and you can only save in (.gmax) or something, how can I change it to (.md3)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived