Home

Map tutoriel

LukeKatarn

Also some of the tools for JK2Radiant (some also in Gtk) are pretty flawed, such as the 'Hollow' tool, CSG Subtract, etc, etc. It's best not to use those tools if you don't want to have any problems with your map (compiling, level loading issues, etc.)

Originally posted by Jedi Luke

Also some of the tools for JK2Radiant (some also in Gtk) are pretty flawed, such as the 'Hollow' tool, CSG Subtract, etc, etc. It's best not to use those tools if you don't want to have any problems with your map (compiling, level loading issues, etc.)

There's nothing wrong with those tools. However, Jedi Luke is still right in a certain sense: Until you know what those tools exactly do and have some experience with the practise and theory, you might avoid some problems by not using them. However, later on those tools are helpful in certain situations.

I found that to be true in earlier versions of GTK, but I havent had any problems yet with the most recent version.

Originally posted by Autobot Traitor

I found that to be true in earlier versions of GTK, but I havent had any problems yet with the most recent version.

Yeah, the earlier versions were buggy and flawed like that but I've never used those tools in the later versions, simply because I've gotten into the habit of, for example, creating a room myself than using hollow, just as an example. I guess I just feel it's best not to use them to be on the safe side.

Yeah, the earlier versions were buggy and flawed like that but I've never used those tools in the later versions, simply because I've gotten into the habit of, for example, creating a room myself than using hollow, just as an example. I guess I just feel it's best not to use them to be on the safe side.

I'm on the other end of the fence; I cant live without my hollow and substarct:rolleyes:

And creating doorways with the clipper always drove me crazy.

I'm on the other end of the fence; I cant live without my hollow and substarct:rolleyes:

And creating doorways with the clipper always drove me crazy.

Wow. I always clip the doorways. How can you otherwise know beforehand what kind of pieces you will get? It will be a bother later on, when you build the final wall forms, if you have different pieces the left of the door compared to the right of the door.

I use hollow to make most of my initial room shapes. I have found out that it greatly helps envision the final size of the room. It's some additional work to remove the overlaps of the edges, but you get used to it...

I use the CSG Subtract when I need to make polygonal holes in other brushes. May sound like a touchy business, but I'll be damned before I start to cut 18 angled holes with the clipper tool.

Originally posted by lassev

Wow. I always clip the doorways. How can you otherwise know beforehand what kind of pieces you will get? It will be a bother later on, when you build the final wall forms, if you have different pieces the left of the door compared to the right of the door.

I use hollow to make most of my initial room shapes. I have found out that it greatly helps envision the final size of the room. It's some additional work to remove the overlaps of the edges, but you get used to it...

I use the CSG Subtract when I need to make polygonal holes in other brushes. May sound like a touchy business, but I'll be damned before I start to cut 18 angled holes with the clipper tool.

I usualy plan ahead for what i want, so i dont have to guess up what i need. acutaly, a really good mapping trick i use for planning is to build a small scale mock-up of it out of lego:D

I usualy plan ahead for what i want, so i dont have to guess up what i need. acutaly, a really good mapping trick i use for planning is to build a small scale mock-up of it out of lego:D

Then you do know the CSG Subtract tool far better than I have bothered to learn it. For if I were to cut a doorway into a wall, I couldn't really tell beforehand what kind of wall pieces the tool would produce in the process. I can, however, tell beforehand that those pieces are hardly ever symmentrical considering the left and right side of the doorway. And that is a reason big enough for me not to use the tool for that purpose. So, it's not really lack of planning...

The only mock-ups I have ever used are pieces of paper and a triangle ruler, when I have tried to figure out complicated rotations with the script command rotate... (rotation around all three axis. Man, that really strains the brains).

Originally posted by WadeV1589

Clipper all the way for me! Failing that, model it in Max! :p

Some of us run on a budget and can't afford Max. However, I know I will have to model eventually, but is GMax (with that extra addon thing for glm export and the only one I can afford!) ok for modelling. yes this is the mapping forum, but if I ask this question in moddeling I'll prolly get ignored!!

Originally posted by lassev

Then you do know the CSG Subtract tool far better than I have bothered to learn it. For if I were to cut a doorway into a wall, I couldn't really tell beforehand what kind of wall pieces the tool would produce in the process. I can, however, tell beforehand that those pieces are hardly ever symmentrical considering the left and right side of the doorway. And that is a reason big enough for me not to use the tool for that purpose. So, it's not really lack of planning...

I see what you mean. For me, I never really make very elaborate doorways to begin with so CSG Substract has always served me well. I envy you for not being so dependant on it:p

I am very new to mapping but I have noticed in the compile info that when you make a simple one room map it cuts down on resources used/ time if the room shell doesn't overlap like the hollow tool will cause it to do. It is faster to use though;) if compile time is the only factor then maybe easier is better.

It's not just compile time...it's game engine issues. If you have textures being drawn offscreen (because they are on a brush that extends into the next one), that will suck up resources. Also, you'll get sparklies--a nasty visual effect that makes maps look very unprofessional. It's best to cut the edges of the walls to fit each other. 45-degree joints between brushes that make a 90-degree angle are best, like so:

____
____/|
   ||
   ||

When you get into making rooms more complicated than a cube, you'll want to NOT use the hollow tool. ;)

Originally posted by wedge2211

It's best to cut the edges of the walls to fit each other. 45-degree joints between brushes that make a 90-degree angle are best, like so:

What's the benefit of this? Can't you just leave the corners to touch each other?

Archived