Home

Help with similair games to Monkey Island

Porky

Hello. I like Monkey Island very much, and I was wondering if anybody could suggest any similair games? I have Grim Fandango, which is great. I would prefer a newer game, not an old DOS one or anything. Thanks to anybody who can help!

Unfortunately, graphic adventures seem to have fallen by the wayside as of late.

I can however, recommend some great games that are similar. Bear in mind that a few are older.

PC: Indiana Jones and Fate Of Atlantis, Full Throttle II

Xbox: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

Try these...

:3headed:

Originally posted by B-Whoop

Unfortunately, graphic adventures seem to have fallen by the wayside as of late.

I can however, recommend some great games that are similar. Bear in mind that a few are older.

PC: Indiana Jones and Fate Of Atlantis, Full Throttle II

Xbox: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

Ok, I'll handle this one. First off Knights of the Old Republic is not an adventure game, it's an RPG, so not the same, secondly even though you said you didn't want old games most of them are the best ones and can be run usuing the beautiful program Scumm VM . Here is a list of some of the best:

Day of the Tentacle

The whole Monkey Island Series (1-4) if you haven't played them all.

Sam and Max Hit the Road

Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

Full Throttle

Broken Sword (1&2 are older)

If your looking for more modern adventuere games theres quite a few lately:

The Longest Journey

Syberia (1&2)

Runaway

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon(3)

and others I'm too lazy to remember, I'm sure someone else will come in here and tell you the ones I forgot.

Originally posted by B-Whoop

Full Throttle II

No such thing, production stopped on it about a year ago.

Syberia is good.

I whole heartedly recommend the entire Broken Sword series (you can get the first two real cheap as well, they're old, but not Dos based thankfully (or not as dos based, you can play them fine, trust me, and the third ones a lot newer (think this year) and hella good)

But I have to agree that the oldies are the goodies, go for them.

I do know that SW:KoTOR is in fact an RPG, but the gameplay is similar. Picking up crucial items, solving puzzles, etc. I would even go so far as to say, that what is considered an RPG today is actually a graphic adventure with RPG elements. Remove the combat mode and the progressive skills of most RPGs and what to do you have, graphic adventures.

So I would say the KoTOR is more a graphic adventure than anything else.

I do agree that the older games are still more fun than the newer ones. The Monkey Island series is a great example of this IMHO.

B-Whoop

Yeah, I have to double-recommend the Broken Sword series. Whilst the original two are a little dated graphically, it doesn't show hugely because for their time they were pretty sweet as far as adventure games go. A great story and gameplay experience, too. If you're in the US I believe it was renamed to "Circle of Blood" (for some ridiculous marketing reason) so look out for that.

The third on the other hand is brand new, in glorious 3D (if you have a decent computer with all anti-aliasing on and such it looks absolutely awesome), great gameplay, great plot, lots of thinking to do, and all-in-all a very fun game. The only problem is there are a little too many box-moving puzzles in the game, but they only slightly tarnish what is otherwise an excellent game.

</praise>

Originally posted by Demonic Skull

Hello. I like Monkey Island very much, and I was wondering if anybody could suggest any similair games? I have Grim Fandango, which is great. I would prefer a newer game, not an old DOS one or anything. Thanks to anybody who can help!

Black Mirror (PC)

Broken Sword 3 (Pc, Ps2, Xbox)

Sanitarium (Pc, old but gold :))

Broken Sword 2 (Pc, Ps1)

Syberia 1 & 2 (Pc)

The Longest Journey (Pc)

Runaway (Pc)

Maybe there isn't the same humor as Monkey Island, but all of these games are great!

Archived