What's on your gaming radar?

StormHammer

FPS Games

Half-Life 2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Doom 3

Quake IV

Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth

Duke Nukem Forever - yes, it's taking Forever, and yes, it's sad.

Medal Of Honour 2

Star Wars: Battlefront

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Thief III

RPG Games

Knights Of The Old Republic 2

Potential Console Titles

Fable

Halo 2 - if I could ever get used to aiming with a controller.

Jade Empire

Hey - they're making a sequel to Half-Life?!?!? Wonder when that'll be out. Should be a quick release, so long as somebody doesn't steal the code or something :D:(

I'm just focusing on games with 2004 timelines, and as much as possible put them in 'interest' order.

FPS - Single Player

Star Wars: Republic Commando (Hope this rocks, I'm really looking forward to it)

Thief III (I have been dubious, but the recent previews have restored my confidence)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (Day &night, blast & stealth, on and on ...)

Serious Sam 2($20 for hours and hours of fun, mindless blowin' stuff up with cool weapons? Sign me up :) )

Doom 3 (Let's hope it is more than just good looking)

Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault (another 8 hours of fun ;) )

Half-Life 2 (Maybe this should be on the 'future' list ;) )

FPS - Multi-Player

Star Wars: Battlefront (Will this be the game that gets me playing online?)

RPG

Dungeon Siege II (I will wait a bit on this one ... I like the first, but not as much as, well, almost any other RPG)

Dungeon Lords (Looks good so far)

'Other' Games

Serious Sam Advance - GBA (Will this be the FPS that not only doesn't suck (Duke Nukem Advance was that) but actually excels on the GBA? Probably not, but hopefully it is fun)

Jade Empire - XBox (Will this be the game that gets me to buy an XBox ... unlikely but interesting nonetheless)

'Games of the Future' (no real time, or at least not 2004)

in no particular order ... and all PC

Quake IV(DoomIII engine, Raven developing, I'm there!)

Duke Nukem Forever (I have been loyal since I had it pre-ordered in 2000, and I will remain loyal until the team either all die of old age or release it. And I have a feeling that it won't be great, but neither will it be terrible, it will just be mediocre and unmemorable ... hope I'm wrong)

Knights Of The Old Republic 2 (Sequel to my fave game ever.)

Gothic 3 (I'm enjoying Gothic 2, at this rate Gothic 3 will be worth a full-price purchase)

NWN2(rumored ... let's hope)

BG3 (rumored ... let's hope)

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Serious Sam 2($20 for hours and hours of fun, mindless blowin' stuff up with cool weapons? Sign me up :) )

I just tried the second SP demo for Painkiller last night. If you're a fan of mindless destruction, it's actually a good blast, with some nice physics to boot. You can speed-jump around the levels like a demented rabbit, and the weapons are just wicked cool. Worth checking - although the demo is quite a hefty size to d/l.

FPS - Multi-Player

Star Wars: Battlefront (Will this be the game that gets me playing online?)

I can highly recommend Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. For one thing, it's free, so there's no reason not to try it out. ;) For another, it's one of the best MP games I've ever played online with great team-based, class-based, objective-based combat. It's better on servers with 30+ players, and pretty hectic and fast-paced with 30v30 campaigns. The only drawback is that some servers allow spawn-killing, which can be frustrating to say the least. There are plenty of good servers that don't allow spawn-killing or intentional Team-killing, however, so why not give it a spin?

Originally posted by StormHammer

If you're a fan of mindless destruction, B]

Half the fun of Serious Sam for me was the sense of humor in everything. Sure you're saving the world, but doing it involves rediculous weapons and enemies ... and wise-cracks. I'm not necessarily out for mindless destruction - but now and again it is nice.

I can highly recommend Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
Oh - I have played ET, and some other MP games. I'm just wondering if this will be enough for me to *buy* a game FOR the MP, if you know what I mean? Other games - like JK/JA and SoF2 I play the MP, but it is subsidiary to SP. ET was fun enough, but I'd rather play a Star Wars game than yet another WWII MP match.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Oh - I have played ET, and some other MP games. I'm just wondering if this will be enough for me to *buy* a game FOR the MP, if you know what I mean? Other games - like JK/JA and SoF2 I play the MP, but it is subsidiary to SP. ET was fun enough, but I'd rather play a Star Wars game than yet another WWII MP match.

Mike

Yeah, I know what you mean. ;)

WWII is sort of the flavour of the month at the moment.

As for Battlefront, from what they've been saying they are focusing on a decent SP side to the game - and not just some tacked on afterthought. How good it will be is anyone's guess, but it may be worth picking it up for the SP component as much as the MP. Here's a shameless rip from the developer diary over at IGN...

The game should also be fun to play in Single Player. We are building this game for the multiplayer crowd, but we also realize there are a lot of Star Wars fans out there who don't like multiplayer games. They still want the fantasy of fighting in the greatest battles in the Galaxy. So we've come up with a number of cool and unique ideas for single player to make this a truly fun and rewarding experience for those people. Single Player is usually an afterthought with online shooters, but we wanted to make sure we gave it the appropriate attention.

If the MP side of the game can match the quality and frenetic combat of ET, as I hope it will, then it's a definite purchase for me.

Archived