Home

No RTS at E3?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Im gonna try and find out whats going on. To be honest, I dont think Lucasarts have a clue yet with all these cancelled projects.

They have a new man in charge now so lets see what happens. But either way, their portfolio for E3 is very weak when you consider what they launched last year.

DMUK

Good luck. This will be a disapointing year for Lucasarts if they only have 5 games in development :(

Ok so KOTOR2 will be great but its still nice to have other star wars games too.

I think Battlefront will be fun but I don't think Republic Commando will be anything special.

Lord Angelus

I wasn't surprised at all. With no playstation 2 star wars game in 2003. Then they came out with a bunch of original titles in 2003 for PS2 like RTX Red Rock, Gladius, Secret Weapons over Normandy, Wrath Unleashed, and now Mercenaries for early 2005. Only one Star Wars game for PS2 in 2004 that being Star Wars Battlefront. No Indiana Jones video games period! No Star Wars RTS game for 2003 or 2004. I could care less about Republic Commando, KOTOR II: The Sith Lords, Mercenaries, and Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed because one they aren't on Playstation 2 or the only one that will be is a original title. The only thing I have heard for Star Wars Playstation 2 for 2005 was a Star Wars Episode III video game set for release the same month as the U.S. release of Star Wars Episode III movie in May, 2005. I hear rumors of it's title Star Wars Darth Vadar and the preview will be on the Original Star Wars Trilogy DVD when it comes out in September 21, 2004. Lucasarts is losing my support fast. What is the deal? No Star Wars RTS games! Very Little Star Wars games for 2004 for PS2! What next? Maybe just make Star Wars available to Microsoft systems only (e.g. X-box and PC) and follow that up with about 5-10 original video games.

Guest DarthMaulUK

ah

Galaxies winning best online game doesnt mean a thing. Anyone can buy awards in todays market. Galaxies is awful. its losing players quicker than any other game so it needs all the help it can get before becoming a huge white elephant.

Lucasarts certainly are under going some changes. be interesting to see what will happen

DMUK

Yes...because they need to make lots of games for a console not everyone has. Sure...

Yeah another X-Wing would be so much better.

He's smart though. KotOR is one of the most acclaimed game of 2003. Mercenaries looks like GTA. Due to the popularity of BF1942, it was natural to see a MMOFPS.

The thing that really intruiges me is that there are no new RTS's, aside from EE2, which I don't expect much from anyway, at E3 at all. The big three companies (Blizz, ES, and EA/Westwood) seem to be lying low, so if LA wre to announce a quality RTS now, they'd get a lot of attention, and probably have little in the way of competition for awards etc. If only...

But I guess the genre is going the way of the dinosaur, and LA feels that they have enough problems as is that they don't need to jump onto a sinking ship.

Actually EA is soon to release The Battle For Middle Earth, which promises to kick absolute ass when it comes to RTS games.

But you are quite right in that RTS games seem to have had their day. Blizzard's next two games, although based on their RTS games, are actually an FPS (StarCraft: Ghost) and an RPG (World of WarCraft). And I haven't heard anything from Ensemble, in fact their home page no longer exists... anybody know what's going on with them?

The last few RTS(with the exception of WarCraft and C&C Generals, though I'm not sure about this one) haven't been good successes.

Remember the old times of AoK and StarCraft? I remember how everyone only talked about StarCraft when it came to video games.

Without some title that grows on you(emotionally), people go elsewhere for emotional attachment.

Besides, the money generated by the popularity of MMORPG is far more interesting from an economical standpoint.

The last few RTS like Empires Dawn of the Modern World and Rise of Nations were huge flops, compared to other titles released before it. This was probably the warning, game developers got to move away from them for a while, the scene has been played out.

I guess i should point out that just because LA didnt announce an RTS at E3 doesnt mean that they arent working on one to be released around Ep3, and also that RTS' arent dead, they just arent as popular at the moment as when the C&C series was at its heyday. All we have to do is wait, and the market will turn around.

They aren't dead. Without a big title having huge success, companies tend not to create any RTS because at the moment, it holds no appeal to the public. That's not true but the last two RTS like Froz pointed out sucked so much...especially Empires dawn of the Modern World...ugh...

I was a big fan of the some of the older RTS games like Age of Kings, Age of Kings II, the first Command and Conqueror game, etc. I would include Galactic Battlegrounds and it's expansion pack into it. I never cared for the 3-D RTS games that ran on Pentium III 700MHZ or faster and video cards 16MB and higher.

Guest DarthMaulUK

RTS games are a niche market. However, we do need something different from the endless micro farming.

Codemasters(UK) have just released Perimeter and it has a new edge but its more of the same. Sci-fi RTS are old hat.

I do like the look of the new Middle Earth RTS, but its EA and their track record is awful. They are the masters of crap games that sell well.

In the UK, the biggest RTS of the year will be ROME: TOTAL WAR, and it is third in their series....probably the best RTS game out there, where strategy counts, rather than brute force.

Having said all that, Star Wars fans have craved for a decent RTS, which came close with Rebellion/Supremacy and Galactic Battlegrounds was a smart move to test the market again, after the truely dreadful Force Commander.

Garry Gaber was working on a project but since his (and many others) departure, it seems that Lucasarts have looked again at their plans for the year. There isnt even the normal excitement and build up to E3. Normally projects are hidden away to be revealed to fans during May.

Ive been kicking around LA asking questions. All i need now is a reply but with no head of Marketing/PR - it could take a while

DMUK

RTS won't die anytime soon. It's one of the most clever genres out there. Not everyone likes shooting everything down.

As luke's dad said it was logical to release a MMPOFPS and MMPORPG because in the end it gives the company more money.

As for the big companies staying low lately, I'd say it's a good sign, perhaps we won't get any major RTS this year, but that gives a whole other year to them, meaning it would be possible we could get both Starcraft 2 and Age of Empires 3 by December 2005.

Talking about Rome: Total War, I recently was to England, and as DMUK said, the Total War series is a huge success, I don't know about the US, but for example, here in Mexico, we haven't got any of the series, the truth is, no matter how good R:TW is, it isn't as huge as a Blizzard/Ensemble/Westwood game...

We'll just have to wait, KOTOR 2 was a good move and will probably be contending for the game of the year, we'll have to settle with that for the time being.

DMUK - I wouldn't go so far as to call RTS a niche market. It is rare to find a gamer who has not played a WarCraft game, a Command and Conquer game or an Age of Empires game.

As for upcoming RTS that look good, the other one I'm hanging out for in addition to Battle For Middle Earth is Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War. It's based on the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game that some of you may be familiar with. As a fan of the tabletop game I suppose I'm biased, but the videos of the gameplay of this game look phenomenal. It's worth checking out as far as sci-fi RTS games go. It's being made by THQ and Relic, and Relic has a farely good track record with games.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Ah...but of late it has become niche. People are bored of the mico farming... i know i am alittle.

Maybe companies have decided to spend more time to focus on 2 or 3 superb releases rather than flood the market with below par RTS games that no one will buy.

Battle of Middle Earth does get me very excited but i want to see more real action in game screens, rather than CG screens.

Total War is probably the best RTS any one will play....trust me.! Visit http://www.totalwar.com for info on Rome: Total War...and when you see it, well.... lol

In the UK, we have seen alot of World War 2 RTS games released but all are average.

What we need is Lucasarts to use the Homeworld 2 engine and make another epic space RTS and who knows what Episode 3 will bring...but thats another year away :-(

DMUK

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

What we need is Lucasarts to use the Homeworld 2 engine and make another epic space RTS and who knows what Episode 3 will bring...but thats another year away :-(

DMUK

*wipes tears*

That's the most beautiful thing I've heard you say.

And I tried the Total War demo a while back. It's nice, but I wasn't real intersted in it's style. We'll see how BFME is like. I'm very excited about that game.

Archived