Home

Cutscene Question

keshire

How does the game know what gla to pull a cutscene from?

Is it script related

Folder name related

or menu related?

I'd like to make some custom anims for some cutscenes to script NPCs to use.

BUT I don't want to merge it into the _humanoid.gla.

Any theories or answers?

Everything I know is that it's SURELY script related. Only I don't know how. I've been looking for some scripts where there were animations coming from new GLAs,, such as t2_rancor, but I hadn't enough time to find out anything. If noone else will answer soon, in the meantime you might look at the JA scripts provided by the JA SDK, as I did.

This is an excellent question. I have seen no evidence that the Raven provided extra animations would need any special treatment. As far as I can see (based on studies of Raven scripts and entity properties), they are just called from a script like any other animations. The originals are mainly BOTH_CIN## anims. I have no idea how you could add your own animations, because of this automatic behavior of the original ones. What I can say, though, is that BehavEd is most probably not a solution for this problem.

BehavEd is a perfectly reasonable program. What I think is that Wade has a bit of elitism in his character, if he prefers Notepad for general script writing... ;)

Well look at it this way. Each _humanoid_mapname folder has its own animation.cfg. All I can think is that its tied to the folder name some how. I think it references cinematics on a map by map basis.

I don't have the mapping/scripting experience to test this out myself though. At least not quickly enough.

therefore if I have a map named whatever, it would reference cinematics from the gla in _humanoid_whatever.

Does that sound logical? I'm hoping thats the case. It would make things easier.

Ok as far as single player goes. Yes the gla a cinematic comes from is related to the folder and filename.

if the map and script is in abc_123

the gla must be _humanoid_abc_123

Now this goes for single player. Is it possible in multi. Right now I'm only interested in making this work for NPC's.

I know the single player scripts don't work in multi though. I already tested that. :)

Originally posted by keshire

Ok as far as single player goes. Yes the gla a cinematic comes from is related to the folder and filename.

if the map and script is in abc_123

the gla must be _humanoid_abc_123

Interesting indeed! That's a good point I totally overlooked, even if it's so obvious...

Yep, So if I needed to I could make animations for single player. But that defeats the purpose of the idea I had.

A duel map consisting of an arena closed off by glass and surrounded by a cantina.

The Cantina would be occupied by various patrons drinking and talking (easy enough to do without new anims), And a band.

The band is where I'd need new anims. Not many dancing Twi'lek or Flute playing Bith anims to plug in. :)

Now I could just make them and merge them into the humanoid.gla, but that brings up the download 11+ megs because I'd have to pack it with the map.

It's a pity there are still so many differences between SP and MP scripting. It would have been so easy, if you could have just named a _humanoid_x folder after your map also for MP.

I don't really know MP stuff that well, having never mapped for MP, and I know even less of modelling business, so I can only wish you good luck!

What I can say, though, is that BehavEd is most probably not a solution for this problem.

You should say that it' not the solution itself. What I mean is that probably you have to do something else beyond a script like "affect - band1 - do - cin01". You have to find the way to tell the game to use the right humanoid.gla

Well thats code side. And from what I've seen and discussed with RazorAce its engine level code meaning we don't have access to it. ANd I don't see anything about it in the icarus code either. Just a whole lot of not implemented features. So all signs so far point to no mp external gla's.

OK here's a desperate attempt :lol: But what the he11 :D What if you could reference the animation by giving the path to the file?

example:

//Generated by BehavEd

rem ( "comment" );

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_ANIM_BOTH", "animations/hoth/jump.extention" );

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa Keshire, your post count is 666 :-p

It's a pity there are still so many differences between SP and MP scripting. It would have been so easy, if you could have just named a _humanoid_x folder after your map also for MP.

I don't really know MP stuff that well, having never mapped for MP, and I know even less of modelling business, so I can only wish you good luck!

Yeah, one of the guys at Raven told me that I shouldnt really script for MP, seeing as it, well... barley works. Crap, if you loop animations wrong you get 3 FPS. And the process was annoying to figure out (back then)

Hmmm... the only thing I can suggest for MP new animations is, replace one or two animations (like one of the sleeping animations, or something.... ) and make it into a mod (make people install it into a directory in the gamedata directory) but.... it just doesnt seem worth it for a few animations. Not to mention is people want to use emotes... well.. there could be problems. :)

You can replace animations right?

Maybe someone could make an Icarus "patch" that includes a command to "set GLA" then you type in the path to the GLA, and then use set_anim_both as usual.

Hmmm... the only thing I can suggest for MP new animations is, replace one or two animations

No need to. The code for mp has 52 cinematics defined. EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE NO CINEMATICS TO USE. :)

So if I merge the animations with the main file I can just take advantage of these.

*edit*

and If I do do these anims I'll probably pack them up with the OJP anim pack since they'll only add maybe 10K to the gla

*edit*

Maybe someone could make an Icarus "patch" that includes a command to "set GLA" then you type in the path to the GLA, and then use set_anim_both as usual.

From what I've been told the gla loading is an internal to the engine thing meaning we don't have access to override it. Or at least no one knows how yet.

The gla is tied to the model itself and in mp is loaded simultaneous with the model. No where in the code do we have access to this mechanism.

Archived