Home

MSNBC trashes Star Wars Prequals.

Zappa_0

Originally posted by IG-64

I thought hayden acted the part rather well. Remember he is supposed to be whiny and unstable. It's what turns him to the dark side.

ditto, well said IG. I like Hayden. He was exccellent in Life as a House as well. Dont blame the lines on him, blame Lucas/Hales - but your doing that already, so carry on !

mtfbwya

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Astrotoy7

ditto, well said IG. I like Hayden. He was exccellent in Life as a House as well. Dont blame the lines on him, blame Lucas/Hales - but your doing that already, so carry on !

Once more, the lines of that scene aren't the problem for me. IMO Hayden's acting for the scene in question just rang as 'false' or 'forced' to me. I'll admit that later scenes were better IMO but that one just blew chunks.

Originally posted by Kale Jerre

IMO GL simply lost track of what made the OT so good for me and accordingly Episodes I and II suffer for it (again IMO).

Which is exactly the problem.

People expect Lucas to cater to what made the OT special for them as individuals. But different people can like Star Wars for very different reasons. Because of that, it is impossible for him to make new movies that satisfy every preference for every fan. Everyone had their own ideas of what the clone wars were like. He can't satify everybody's preconceptions.

All he can do is make the movies that he wants to make and appeal to him. All we can do is decide whether we like them or not. In the end, George Lucas owes us nothing. From the interviews I've seen, he seems to have the best outlook on them: they are just movies. He does not force people to make them out to be more than they are. That is their own fault.

It is with the people who think he has somehow raped their childhood with the prequels that the problem lies. :)

I don't get the problem..... he is basically saying exactly what all starwars fans have been saying since TPM came out. :confused:

I actually agree with most, if not all, of his suggestions.

Of course, it is probably impossible for anyone to live up to the myth of the original films, and to satisfy every single starwars fan, each of whom has a different reason for liking the universe he created. But it must be possible to do it better.....

I think George Lucas has a great visual immagination.... but he has never been the best at handling characters and actors, and with the prequels he has shown that he has gotten very rusty over the last 20 years.

I think I made the suggestion after TPM that for the second sequel they should go the ESB route and have him as the executive producer. I think I suggested getting Ridly Scott to direct it (bladerunner meets gladiator meets black hawk down in space) and Joss Whedon to co-write it (to add a bit of emotion and snappyness to the dialogue and characters).

ATOTC was a little better (at least at the end) but I would still stand by those recommendations for the 3rd film.

Christopher Lee and Yoda were by far the best things about ATOTC. And i think that Ewan (and probably Hayden and Nathalie) can act far better (and less woodenly) if they are given a snappier script and a director who lets them do their stuff.

After all, didn't Harrison and the rest actually change the dialogue to make it more natural in the original films?

I think the Ford quote is "You might be able to write this s**t george, but we sure as hell can't say it!". Somebody should say that to lucas again...

Originally posted by Prime

It is with the people who think he has somehow raped their childhood with the prequels that the problem lies. :)

Well, I'm telling you that my childhood has been raped (figuratively speaking) and I'm mad as heck about it! :D

Archived