Home

Real Doors

snife

Here's a tutorial made by some nameless wannabe mapper. It should be decent, though. Still, I would be cautious with the areaportaling part of the tutorial, if you are mapping MP, because there might lie some problems that way. It has not been verified, but just be cautious. If you don't do the areaportaling, it should be nearly perfect and a very easy to follow tutorial.

http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=25

The thing is that with swinging doors that need to be scripted, the areaportaling is not automatic. You need to use the adjust_areaportals script command. As I said, I have not verified this myself, but I got one report suggesting this command might not work in MP. Due to my inherent laziness, I still haven't checked this one out. Maybe it was nothing but some other error in the map of the person who reported this, or maybe it's a real problem.

Surely I will one day check it out myself, unless some good person here tells me the command also functions perfectly in MP, so that I would avoid the trouble and pain of testing it myself...

If you are constructing a building and don't do areaportalling, shouldn't you be shot?

As far as I'm concerned, the end results are everything that matters. I have scripted long enough to know that part of the business is hacking and trying out different solutions as long as it takes to make it work. If you follow some book of set rules, you are restricting your own imagination. That's what the swinging doors are all about: Not being content with the Star Wars / Star Trek style sliding doors. If it compromises areaportaling, then you gotta find some other way of keeping FPS up.

There is another way to areaportal a swinging door...have a regular door there as well that is made of a caulk brush, just set it to move really fast and make sure it has no associated sound. Trigger it alongside the swinging door and it will allow you to use an areaportal, no riské scripting in MP required.

Originally posted by WadeV1589

There is another way to areaportal a swinging door...have a regular door there as well that is made of a caulk brush, just set it to move really fast and make sure it has no associated sound. Trigger it alongside the swinging door and it will allow you to use an areaportal, no riské scripting in MP required.

If I remember correctly, you have a long career of doing extraordinary things when scripting was not yet possible, haven't you, Wade? This surely shows it. It might be a lot better way, I admit that. My problem is just that I tend to prefer scripting and think it's the solution to everything. My power grows and wanes in conjunction with the power of scripting...

Just had a thought, you could areaportal a swinging door, couldn't you?

I mean, if you create the areaportal and make it part of the func_door entity then it would work, wouldn't it?

*goes off to search for the swinging door script, so he can learn*

Archived