Home

Ron Gilbert Or Pirates I Need Your Help To Solve A Monkeys Island 2 Mystery

Ahh 2D here’s a question for my fellow hardcore Monkeys Island 2 fans. Why does the Woodsmith on Woodtick look remarkably exactly like Largo LaGrande?.

The first time I played Monkeys Island 2 when it first came out many years ago. As soon as I saw the Woodsmith I immediately thought although he is taller that he was to going to be Largo LaGrande in disguise he looks that much like him. It turned out he was just a Woodsmith that looks exactly like Largo LaGrande was there a reason for this or was it just to play with our Minds.

What do you think Maybe there is no reason and they just look very much like each other by coincidence.

I need to know the truth; one of the other spooky similarities is that they both like the colour green is the Woodsmith Largo LaGrande in Cuban heel boots. Im a hard core Monkeys Island Fan I know everything and anything there is to know about Monkeys Island 2 and I cant find out, I have asked Remi Olsen at The Scumm Bar he also had no idea. So I guess the only person who could really answer this question is Monkeys Island Genius Creator Ron Gilbert.

Please help. :sweating:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool you also had the same theory my friend also had the same theory theres alot of lot of us MI2 Fans then who also think this. There was alot of things Ron Gilbert Left out of Monkey Island 2 Ideas, characters, Rooms, Islands, Sceanery, storylines and alot of things left in that were linked to the things left out. Maybe there was storyline left out in which the woodsmith was going to be largo in disgiuse or largos brother, Dad or something and they left the Largo look alike Woodsmith in the game so when we play it we think the Woodsmith is Largo. Either way Ron Gilbert is the only one who can tell us the truth.

Thanks Pirate

We are all obsessed with Monkeys Island that’s why were called fans. My favourite Monkeys Island character is the MI2 version of GuyBrush Threepwood not Largo all though Largo is a very good character. I am not obsessed with Largo in particular I am just interested in finding out the truth behind the Theory. And it isn’t just me who is interested in this theory they’re a lot of Monkeys Island Fans who also had the same theory.

:guybrush:

Skinkie Maybe they ran out of sprites, or time, or both

That was not the reason its at the begining of the game this part of the project was created first. Also if there was time restrictions they would have run out of time towards making the end of the game project. In MI2's case time was not a problem back then also you do not run out of sprites or pixels.

:monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4::sweating:

well, actually, the woodsmith could've been drawn later in the game. not everything had to be done in the exact sequential order that you see it in the game. they could've drawn one screen or one person from later in the game earlier in the development. b/c i'm sure multiple people were working on the art at the same time, covering different aspects of the game. that's usually how a game is made.

it's obviously just a coincidence, b/c why would they make the woodsmith look like largo lagrande on purpose? it makes no sense. it's a coincidence. largo has absolutely nothing to do with the woodsmith. i think you're going too deep looking for answers. just like if you have to analyze a book in a literacy class (yick), people say "he used this symbolism on purpose" and they go so far into depth, when it could've not even meant anything at all.

there are people that look like other people in life, you know. someone could have a similar body structure as someone else. plus, the woodsmith had a hat on, didn't he? i don't know. either way, his hair was not back and sort of in dreadlocks or braids or whatever largo's hair was. largo's hair looked like nick nolte's hair in that one mugshot he took. the woodsmith's hair didn't look like that.

plus, this game was made in 1991 :¬: what do you expect? to have every single person to look unique in their own special way? there are probably well over 50 people in the game, and it's not necessarily easy to draw that many people and have them all look different.

anyway...i say it's just a coincidence, but if you don't think it is, then whatever. that's what you think.

well, actually, the woodsmith could've been drawn later in the game. not everything had to be done in the exact sequential order that you see it in the game. they could've drawn one screen or one person from later in the game earlier in the development. b/c i'm sure multiple people were working on the art at the same time, covering different aspects of the game. that's usually how a game is made.

it's obviously just a coincidence, b/c why would they make the woodsmith look like largo lagrande on purpose? it makes no sense. it's a coincidence. largo has absolutely nothing to do with the woodsmith.

Your quite right sometimes the begining of the game is somtimes the last thing the games creaters make. But this most usually happens to games devlopers who have i great idea but have no real set path and exact vision to follow sequentionally.

But in MI1, MI2s case the format is a story game and all proffesionall games companys back then and right now when making story games work in the same way Lucasarts and Ron Gilbert and his team did the book or script is usually written as example Monkeys Island was written "The Memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood, the Monkey Island Years" so the exact sequential order in how the game was to be developed was already known.

The characters Islands, Rooms, sceanery, tasks and puzzels ect was then created in scetched storyboard form as the lead desiner wanted. And when these are ready they are looked at carfully. As a team they all must of seen how simular the two characters Largo and The Woodsmith looked and they would of changed them for that reason if they dident want to confuse us but for some strange reason they left them as they were

and then transformed them into the game level by level.

And therefore since playing Monkeys Island 2 in 1991 Myself and Many others have a simular theory as to why the Woodsmith and Largo were so a like.

Clones, twins, Fathers and sons look like each other there is alot of characters charcaters in MI2 only 2 characters look so much a like. And simular games of that time such and Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis, Curse of Enchantia. The Legend of Kyriandia. They had even more charcters than MI2 none of there characters looked very simular out of all the characters in all them games.

This is my opinion i respect your views Pirate.

We need an urgent comparison (for those with no immediate access to the game or who can't be bothered)

largo.gifwoodsmith.gif

Hmm, I'd say that the do have some similarities, altough I never actually noticed it before. The characters didn't reaslly match though. Like in SOMI, when LeChuck got out of the Shinetop Skin, you kind of went 'Ah, that makes a lot of sense and is also entertaining (or something along those lines) but if I were to suddenly see the woodsmith take off some stilts and so on to become Largo, i'd be like 'What the hell?!'. It would be entertaining, but I don't think it'd be as believable.

I don't really know any history behind it, but as a guess, I'd say when creating the sprites, they created the main charcters and then, with the very little pixels that they could use, they created the woodsmith and accidentally made it look somewhat like largo. You may think that's a very low possibiliy, but because of the very few pixels used, it would actually be very easy to do.

That, or it's just some injok we don't know about, like how the stump joke was meant to play with our heads and make us think we lost a disk.

Thanks You have some good points and intressing theorys.

I know alot of the crew who made Monkeys Island 1,2 vist these pages and i am sure Ron Gilbert visits the Scumm Bar and the MI Forum i hope Ron finds this section and tells us the real reason why they made them look so alike. I hope and I am almost sure they did it to make us think he was Largo in order to play with our minds. The Woodsmith did work in a peg shop i thought he may have been wearing pegs to make himself taller. It couldnt of been a simple mistake making them look a like.

Thanks alot For the Largo and Woodsmith comparison pictures.

I'd like to point out I really don't think they look much alike. Different height, different skin color, different clothing different shades of hair. I'm just not seeing it.

There are absolutely loads of MI2 fans that have the same theories as myself. I have spoken to fans on here and many other fan sights and I have spoken with loads of MI2 fans personally. You are welcome to have an opinion and I respect it pirate you have clearly lost your monocle.

Originally posted by Largo LaGrande

Thanks You have some good points and intressing theorys.

I know alot of the crew who made Monkeys Island 1,2 vist these pages and i am sure Ron Gilbert visits the Scumm Bar and the MI Forum...

You know or you think? I've never seen anyone of that nature on these sites (apart from Tim Schafer that once when the scumm bar announced it's closure) and im sure we would have spotted something if they posted. The reason being that almost all of the people who come onto these boards, but not for help are usually under about 21-22 (or oldies) and show this through teh way they post. I haven't yet seen a 'grown up' post on these boards (okay, so it is a monkey island board, but you know what I mean) and I've been here since 2001 (the boards opened in 2000, although i'm not sure about the mojo MI boards)

All I'm really saying is that you can't be entirely sure that they frequent these places.

And Ron Gilbert has gone on record as saying the scummbar is his favorite MI site, but that doesn't mean he visits it on a regular basis. Again, it can only be speculation.

I have spoken to fans on here and many other fan sights and I have spoken with loads of MI2 fans personally in person.

Personally in person. My new favorite phrase. (Not trying to pick on you, just find it amusing)

You know or you think? I've never seen anyone of that nature on these sites (apart from Tim Schafer that once when the scumm bar announced it's closure) and im sure we would have spotted something if they posted. The reason being that almost all of the people who come onto these boards, but not for help are usually under about 21-22 (or oldies) and show this through teh way they post. I haven't yet seen a 'grown up' post on these boards (okay, so it is a monkey island board, but you know what I mean) and I've been here since 2001 (the boards opened in 2000, although i'm not sure about the mojo MI boards)

Joshi I will have to correct you said you have never seen a grown up post on these boards that i agree you cant actually see us or can you. Either way I am 25 so i guess you can concider myself a grown up as for oldie i prefer to be called a Veteran Gamer. Ron Gilbert and Team may or may not actually post on here but they do visit the Scumm Bar and some times the forums and have said this in interviews at the Scumm Bar.And hopefully he or his old team may read this post and tell the truth behind our theory.

I respect you pirate.

Personally in person. My new favorite phrase. (Not trying to pick on you, just find it amusing)

Skinkie No offence taken but if you havent anything intressting or relevent to add to the subject of my section, I wouldnt be at all offended if you dont post on this area.

Skinkie No offence taken but if you havent anything intressting or relevent to add to the subject of my section, I wouldnt be at all offended if you dont post on this area.

Likewise.

And I've personally never seen an interview When gilbert has said he visits these forums. He visits the scumm bar site, sure enough, and some other sites, but I've never seen nor heard of him on a forum.

And my age prediction comes from the way most people act on this site. Granne, and oldie that doesn't come by anymore was in his late 20's and despite his immaturity, he still had a sense of age about him or at least more age than most around here (lets face it, late 20's isn't old). and most other people tend to give a sense of immaturity which basically says 'I'm young, and lovin' it' (not McDonalds referance intended) and most of the time, I'm right in thinking they're about 14-16.

It's an interesting idea and it'd be cool if there were some hidden complexities to MI2 that haven't yet been spotted. Personally, I'd like to say I don't see a massive similarity.

There was a lot cut out of the game because of time, whether that includes Part One I don't know, but if so I suppose it's possible he was a Largo relative who had a bigger role in the plot, and I'm just not seeing it.

And I've personally never seen an interview When gilbert has said he visits these forums. He visits the scumm bar site, sure enough, and some other sites, but I've never seen nor heard of him on a forum

I am possitive there was an interview in which he said he visits the Scumm Bar regularly, and sometimes although very rarely after visiting the Scumm Bar he has a look at the posts to see what people say about MI. He said he admires the amount of time and dedication still spent by the MI Fans, and it is satisfying to see Fans still get a lot of enjoyment of the old games.

And my age prediction comes from the way most people act on this site. Granne, and oldie that doesn't come by anymore was in his late 20's and despite his immaturity, he still had a sense of age about him or at least more age than most around here (lets face it, late 20's isn't old). and most other people tend to give a sense of immaturity which basically says 'I'm young, and lovin' it' (not McDonalds referance intended) and most of the time, I'm right in thinking they're about 14-16.

Thats exactly right.

I respect you pirate

It's an interesting idea and it'd be cool if there were some hidden complexities to MI2 that haven't yet been spotted. Personally, I'd like to say I don't see a massive similarity.

There was a lot cut out of the game because of time, whether that includes Part One I don't know, but if so I suppose it's possible he was a Largo relative who had a bigger role in the plot, and I'm just not seeing it.

You have some really good points we think very much alike,

I am certain there are some hidden complexities to MI2, if only they released a Directors Cut of MI2 im possitive there was more to it and personally i belive they did cut the game especially Part 1. I personally see an uncanny simularity between Largo and the Woodsmith. My theory was he was Largo or Marco Largo LaGrande or a reletive because when you dig up Marco Largo LaGrandes bones its says " Marco Largo LaGrande hell on sea or sand the good news is hes dead the bad news is he breed. And I also thought the Woodsmith was actually Largo wearing a pair of the hand made pegs he makes in his shop or Marco Largo LaGrande or reletive.

It's very unlikely they'd do a 'Director's Cut' of the actual game with added bits, but personally I'd be very interested in what was cut out of the story. It's just my favourite story ever told in an adventure game and I'd be fascinated as to what else was originally in it.

There was an interview with Gilbert where I think he mentioned some details about a long section he cut out of one of the games.

When it comes to releasing the MI games to be compatible with later operating systems, perhaps they can pad out the package with some cool extra features, a 'Collectors' Edition' sort of thing. I'd love to see stuff like production notes of early ideas, early sketches, and finished artwork in full quality (as we saw on the 20th anniversary site with the Map, Peninsula, and House of MOJO scans). Just as comprehensive a document of the games as possible. They could include the Sam 'N' Max comics, reviews from the time, press campaigns, etc. too.

I'm just rambling on about very unlikely things now though... :)

You might be right about that (I can't remember) but even so there was definitely some stuff cut from MI2. All I could find was this from Amiga Mania:

Mike: Were you concerned with the size of MI2? And if you think CD ROM is coming real soon as the standard.

Ron/Lucasfilm: Yes, I was concerned about the size of the game, but not nearly as much as our accountants were! I had to cut out 5 very large scenes from the game to get it to fit on 6 disks.

I swear I've read an interview where he mentions some specifics of 'deleted scenes', either from SoMI or MI2. I have a hunch it might have been stuff towards the end of SoMI he talked about.

Captain Gonzo

There was an interview with Gilbert where I think he mentioned some details about a long section he cut out of one of the games.

Yes your right I remember.

When it comes to releasing the MI games to be compatible with later operating systems, perhaps they can pad out the package with some cool extra features, a 'Collectors' Edition' sort of thing. I'd love to see stuff like production notes of early ideas, early sketches, and finished artwork in full quality (as we saw on the 20th anniversary site with the Map, Peninsula, and House of MOJO scans). Just as comprehensive a document of the games as possible. They could include the Sam 'N' Max comics, reviews from the time, press campaigns, etc. too.

That would be great if they could release the MI2 Collcetors Edition with all them goodies. The last time remember goodies being included with a MI game was Monkeys Island 2 on the Amiga when it was first released they gave away a free Monkeys Island hat, tea Shirt, poster chocolate money, and a pretend bottle of grog but i dont think it was Lucasarts idea it was the shop I got it from.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike: Were you concerned with the size of MI2? And if you think CD ROM is coming real soon as the standard.

Ron/Lucasfilm: Yes, I was concerned about the size of the game, but not nearly as much as our accountants were! I had to cut out 5 very large scenes from the game to get it to fit on 6 disks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I swear I've read an interview where he mentions some specifics of 'deleted scenes', either from SoMI or MI2. I have a hunch it might have been stuff towards the end of SoMI he talked about

I remember that very interview where he did mention some specifics of 'deleted scenes from MI2 I am sure it was MI2. I remember reading about it in one of my Amiga Magazines at the time as well as the article in Amiga Mania. I am certain that at least one of them deleted sceans were from "Part 1 The Largo Embargo". And I would love to see what they were.

I respect You Piarate

Archived