Home

Urban warfare or country side warfare?

Lt. Havoc

Which do you prefer the urban (rat maze) with close quarter contact or wide open terrain?

Me, after a decade of playing corridor shooters I avoid city based maps. For the longest time games couldn't realistically handle natural environments where for some reason war also take place. I like those outdoorsy maps.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

There's Open Terrain (Endor, Yavin4, Geonosis, Hoth) Urban (Naboo, Tatooine) platforms (Kamino, Naboo)

Looks like enough variety indeed :D

Endor and Yavin are probably going to feel very urban like cuz of the forest, bushes etc. Genosis and Hoth should be very open. The platforms bespin and kamino will probably be the big starfighter bridge control maps.

Originally posted by Nevhision

Endor and Yavin are probably going to feel very urban like cuz of the forest, bushes etc. Genosis and Hoth should be very open. The platforms bespin and kamino will probably be the big starfighter bridge control maps.

I don't think the trees will give these planets an urban feeling.

Endor would be fun because of the hiding. Behind the trees, on ewok cities, traps. You have to watch your steps everywhere.

Kamino has less cover, but more vehicles. I think fighters will play an important role. Snipers and heavy weps will probably be less usefull here.

Geonosis has almost no cover, is huge, and has a lot of vehicles. Heavy weps are important, snipers useless. Assault isn't very usefull either.

I think all maps can be sorted over the examples above: much cover, medium cover, no cover. Much cover maps are small with few vehicles. No cover maps big with a lot of vehicles.

Originally posted by yaebginn

bespin's pretty urban from what I gather from the screen.

I think we should for some more screens to draw conclusions about that. But I agree that it would probably be city-like.

However, Bespin has lot's of indoor areas to. Much bigger buildings compared to the ones in theed, so the indoor portion of the game would be bigger there.

I take that back about bespin being platform bridge thing. From the screens, it definitely looks more urban sci-fi city which looks so good.

Does anyone else think that Kashyyyk is a bit odd of a choice cuz they already have two forest planets.

It's more than that. You cant go to the surface. Technically you can, but it's like winning the lottery thirty times in a row with no cheating. Even at less than halfway down, there are harmful predators. That woulkd make the game very bad if you could go to the bottom and included predators, cause you wouldnt be able to see. t's draw attention off the original goal.

The third side would be the only side to fight if you could get to the bottom.

I think th forests are all diferent. Yavin is infantry only, where the rebels are the atacking team. On Endor vehicles and speeder bikes play an important role.

Kashyyyk would be totally different. Bridges and platforms I guess. And also city like.

my problem with city maps in games like this and Bf1942 is the tightness of the streets and the close quarter action almost totally negates the point of having vehicles in the game.

For instance on Bespin should we expect to see: speeders, walkers, X-wings, or TIEs? Maybe the air support but I bet they don't prove much good to the grunts in the streets and buildings. Flying around the city will just occupy a few players as they try to dog fight each other. Meanwhile all the infantry get to slug it out down below. But its a city not really suited for the high speed speeders what with the city blocks and 90 degree turns. What about the walkers how useless would they be trying to ascend steps or catwalks to get to an upper level.

Originally posted by Lt. Havoc

my problem with city maps in games like this and Bf1942 is the tightness of the streets and the close quarter action almost totally negates the point of having vehicles in the game.

For instance on Bespin should we expect to see: speeders, walkers, X-wings, or TIEs? Maybe the air support but I bet they don't prove much good to the grunts in the streets and buildings. Flying around the city will just occupy a few players as they try to dog fight each other. Meanwhile all the infantry get to slug it out down below. But its a city not really suited for the high speed speeders what with the city blocks and 90 degree turns. What about the walkers how useless would they be trying to ascend steps or catwalks to get to an upper level.

Yeah... these levels called infantry specific for a reason...

Archived