Home

Ummmm Demo?

Obi_Kwiet

As long as you guys get a horrifying sound... It should be a really quiet sound at first, as if they're all waiting round the corner, and when the Dianoga actually appears it has to drown all other sounds in just... horrifying creature-screams :D

Can't wait!!!

(BTW!!! It took some time for that picture to load, and I thought: What does he mean BOO? That image almost scared me :p)

I'm really looking forward to the demo now. I played through the first demo yesterday in anticipation, and when I get time I think I'll play through the first three levels of the original game.

MeshThe2nd:

The 2nd demo and the final mod will both be for Jedi Academy. (Note the banner at the top of the page: "Dark Forces: A MOD for Jedi Academy"). Also, one of the team members wrote somewhere on these forums that the requirements should be similar to Jedi Academy.

EDIT: Rearranged for clarity's sake.

Originally posted by MeshThe2nd

Btw, any idea on the required specs? Or is it around the same as

JKA?

well, here's what the system requirements for JA are according to the back of the box:

Minimum requirements:

Operating System: Windows 98/98SE/2K/XP

Computer: 100% DirectX 9.0a compatable computer required

CPU: Pentium III or Athlon class 450 mhz or faster CPU required

Memory: 128 mb ram required. 256mb ram recommended

Graphics Card: 32 mb openGL 1.4 Compatable PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator required

Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9.0a compatable sound card required

CD-Rom: Quad Speed IDE SCSI CD-Rom required

Input Device: Keyboard and Mouse required. Joysticks supported

Directx: Microsoft Directx 9.0a is included on this CD.

Note: your system may require the "latest" drivers for your particular hardware

There you have it, there's the requirements since you seem to have forgotten the requirements for JKA. Have a nice day :).

... simply because we are still far far away from finishing the whole game,

and we don't want you to wait too long :p

We currently have only one really active mapper, because the other has got problems with his computer (see current news post on our website).

It is not easy to do such a mod worldwide via long distance and across different time zones. Development is slower than just running to your neighbour's door buddy, even with instant message and VoIP chats...

Also, these demos help keep the community alive and excited until the final release. Although this will be the second demo, it has been a long time since the last one. And finally, although preparing the demo for release takes some additional time, it's not very much time next to the time until the whole thing is complete, and I assume that not too much is being done now that doesn't help with the final product.

Not to mention that extra time = greater quality. Would you rather

wait 10 seconds for your hamburger at mc donalds? Or have a

nice chicken fillet prepared just the way you wanted.

The demo's actually helps us as much as them. With each demo it

gives us an idea of what the final product will be and how much

they've done so far. The demo helps them cause the public can

give ideas as to what should be done to change it.

Plus wouldn't you rather be playing a demo now then waiting until

hundreds of years from now until its done?

Keep it up guys. Don't let time bog you down. Take as long as you

need to perfect your creation. Meanwhile I'll be playing x-wing

alliance :D

Thats soon to be 2 active mappers Fracman as I will be working on 1 of the levels after I complete the cutscene for Talay - Which I might add is about 95% complete :) which means for the community that the 3 Level Demo will be out shortly - I say that as I know we are close but shortly does not mean tomorrow it means when the entire team come to agreement that the demo meets our high standards to be released to the world. As some of you know I dont post often in the Forums (team) and even less often in the public Forums but I do browse them from time to time and am glad to see the enthusiasm of the Community and hope that they will enjoy playing the Mod as much as our team has enjoyed making it.

Thanks Guys and Stay tunned for more updates.

Your points are understandable, but the fact is that the mod was started when the JO community was at its peak. Currently, the mod has traversed into JA. Will another major Star Wars FPS (even possibly the next installment of the JK series) before this mod is complete?

I had a bad feeling about a ton of mods; I thought they would eventually die out. This has been an exception. DF2E supposedly suffered my dark anticipation.

My understanding of the switch to JA for the mod is that some necessary features of the final mod would be unsupported or difficult to implement in JO. Also, because both games are built on the same engine, moving the assets from one game to the other was (relatively) painless. The final mod will be for JA, because to move it to a newer game you'd have to essentially start over.

As usual, I ask that anyone actually working on thing correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Still patiently waiting for the demo! :)

The move to JA was almost a nessesity. JA is a more robust and mature platform for this mod than JO, not to mention the only SDK Raven has released is for JA. We really wouldn't be able to complete this mod (or at least complete it the way we would like) without an SDK. For instance, some of the weapons in the original DF are fairly unique and haven't shown up in any other DF game. An SDK is the only way we are able to recreate these weapons and their characteristics the way we would like.

If a new Star Wars shooter came out, we wouldn't change over; even if we had an SDK. We are just way too immersed into the JA engine to move over to anything else now.

Keep checking the site reguarly. The Demo is coming together quickly! (We want to get it out the door as much as you want to play it!)

Originally posted by JDKnite188

Your points are understandable, but the fact is that the mod was started when the JO community was at its peak. Currently, the mod has traversed into JA. Will another major Star Wars FPS (even possibly the next installment of the JK series) before this mod is complete?

I had a bad feeling about a ton of mods; I thought they would eventually die out. This has been an exception. DF2E supposedly suffered my dark anticipation.

Actually this mod started earlier than that I beleave that Darth Linux can give you a more acurate time but This mod was annouced only a few weeks after JO came out as that was when I came on board about 2 and a half to 3 months after the Mod was started.

Well the next FPS to come out will be Battlefields and I dont think our mod fits into its gameplay - Republic Commando how ever might not saying it will but its based on the unreal engine which imo is much more modable than the q3 engine but thats just my opinion :) As I make levels for both platforms but I can say for a fact that we will be releasing the final on JA as the entire team has decided this fact

Archived