Home

Landing and Taking off?

vulcan_sniper

Originally posted by nortenyo

Landing and Taking off is very easy. You push the land/take off button...typically "jump" once inside the air vehicle. Landing gear do retract on most vehicles that have them. Take off and landings are vertical in nature and occur at slow speed. It's fun to see how creative you can get with your landings, too, as you can land just about anywhere you want.

Is goining up with the jumpkey only the case when taking off? I don't like the ut2004 system. There you ue jumping to go up, crouch to go down, and mouse movements to make horizontal movements. Is flying more like ut2004 or like halo?

Originally posted by Navix_Ceraq

I think thats better than the bf1942.. like in the movies they just go up and just sit down, and its better cause when your plain is damaged (alot) you can land easily.

I totally agree. The big problem with BF1942's aircraft is it's so hard to land -- it took me a long time to be able to do it without blowing up. This is easier, which means flying will be accessible to more players -- in BF1942 pilots are a special breed. Especially chopper pilots in the Desert Combat mod and in Battlefield Vietnam.

Originally posted by singard

I totally agree. The big problem with BF1942's aircraft is it's so hard to land -- it took me a long time to be able to do it without blowing up. This is easier, which means flying will be accessible to more players -- in BF1942 pilots are a special breed. Especially chopper pilots in the Desert Combat mod and in Battlefield Vietnam.

But is that necessarily a bad thing?

Originally posted by Navix_Ceraq

I think thats better than the bf1942.. like in the movies they just go up and just sit down, and its better cause when your plain is damaged (alot) you can land easily.

I don't find it bad that planes can fly vertically, I just say it shouldn't be the only way of vertical movement. I'd like an X-wing to fly to it's nose, so if you point your nose up, the plane makes vertical movement to.

Though I like the flying in battlefield, I agree that it isn't very starwars like. I think it should be like flying a banshee in Halo.

Trust me guys, landing and taking off will be very very easy. I think it so easy you could cry. Precision is another thing, but that is what kinda makes it fun. I mean if you practice, you might get good at precision landing. Air vehicles handle in a plane like way. Attitude determines altitude. So at take off you reach that vehicles cruising speed which you can speed up or slow down, but you are always moving, with the exception of the Republic Gunship which can hover in place. If your nose if pointing up, you go up. If you point down you go down. The mouse controls your pitch and yaw and your move keys determine speed. It's very intuitive and allows for great control. It's not as complex as say the old game TIE FIGHTER, but that game has a flight engine.

Nortenyo, when you say you can land just about anywhere, Does this mean you could land on larger vehicles? I ask this because I was thinking it might be cool if I could tak someone up in a snowspeeder and land ontop of an AT-AT. That way I could snipe people off from way up therewithout them hitting me .:atat:

Nortenyo, when you say you can land just about anywhere, Does this mean you could land on larger vehicles? I ask this because I was thinking it might be cool if I could tak someone up in a snowspeeder and land ontop of an AT-AT. That way I could snipe people off from way up therewithout them hitting me .

Trust me guys, landing and taking off will be very very easy. I think it so easy you could cry. Precision is another thing, but that is what kinda makes it fun. I mean if you practice, you might get good at precision landing. Air vehicles handle in a plane like way. Attitude determines altitude. So at take off you reach that vehicles cruising speed which you can speed up or slow down, but you are always moving, with the exception of the Republic Gunship which can hover in place. If your nose if pointing up, you go up. If you point down you go down. The mouse controls your pitch and yaw and your move keys determine speed. It's very intuitive and allows for great control. It's not as complex as say the old game TIE FIGHTER, but that game has a flight engine.

Thanks for the info, that was what I hoped for.

Would the vehicle control be anything like the game freelancer where your mouse basically determines what direction you go in? For instance if you move the mouse upwards then your vehicle (say an x-wing) would gain altitude or moving left would send your craft towards the left? Also would the W key be your throttle and the S key for slowing down? That was a great control system.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Would the vehicle control be anything like the game freelancer where your mouse basically determines what direction you go in? For instance if you move the mouse upwards then your vehicle (say an x-wing) would gain altitude or moving left would send your craft towards the left? Also would the W key be your throttle and the S key for slowing down? That was a great control system.

I agree, Halo had the same system.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Yes and no. No because the default gives you a flipped Y axis to start with. But you can invert the Y axis and it will be the same as what you are describing. And you are dead right about the W and S keys. I agree, it's a great control system.

Yes and no. No because the default gives you a flipped Y axis to start with. But you can invert the Y axis and it will be the same as what you are describing. And you are dead right about the W and S keys. I agree, it's a great control system.

If I'm flying with the keybord, I like a flipped Y-axis. If I'm flying with the mouse I love it. I'm glad you can customize it.

Archived