Home

Problems with Geforce 6800

Blowhole

Recently I upgraded my video card from a Geforce3 Ti 200 to a Geforce 6800 OC, and now whenever I try to change the first set of video settings or quit the game from the menu, it locks up. The game plays beautifully other than these couple of frustrating problems and played decently with the old video card. Any help would be appreciated.

My system:

Athlon XP 2200+

BFG Tech Nvidia Geforce 6800 OC

512 Mb DDR2700 Ram

Windows 98 2nd Edition

Have tried both the 61.24 and 61.76 drivers for video card, can't even play the games with the 61.76 drivers

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just thought i'd throw my two penneth in. i have a 6800 and am having the EXACT same error you are, freezing in menu, when i change graphics settings.

It happens on a few other of my games too, HW2, and to a lesser degree KOTOR. Posting my board manufacturer and other games forums, seems to have them all stumped, they suggest waiting for the new driver release.

I have tried this game in a win2k setup and a new XP setup (fresh format), and get this error in JA everytime running 61.77 drivers. The same occurs running HW2, (except it just wont run full stop)

It seems older openGL games dont like the 61.77's (nvidia had only just released driver support for the card with this set of drivers). I have extensively updated restarted and flashed bios's till my ears pop out.

The only thing i can put it down to is nvidias drivers. Here's hoping on an update in the next release. Before you post, heres my specs

AMD3000xp

1gig ram

geforce 6800GT

ALL drivers to latest

motherboard and card (61.77's)

all bioses flashed.

Anyone done any research with this game and a similar setup?

All my other games run fine.

cheers

Maybe i can create a .cfg file for you guys and you can put it in your base folder. So you can have max settings without having to change them, controls are default so you can change them to whatever you want.

But the problem is that i do not have a site to host the file (its .zip)

Maybe if you give me your e-mail address i can send it to you

Its ok i have e-mailed activision support

heres my mail. Lets stay hopeful

Dear Support

I have a menu lockup problem whn changing the graphics settings within Jedi academy,

It freezes up and wont save my settings or control configurations.

I am running a 6800Gt with AMD 3000xp with 61.77 drivers. I am running windows XP pro with service pack 2.

Other people are having the same sort of issues with this card and drivers. I have been posting a fourm here which gives details about the issue.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1635308#post1635308

The game also freezes up on exit. Thanks for listening, I hope you can resolve this issue somehow. Will it be fixed with the next nvidia driver release?

Just to keep you informed

JKA has just crashed and reset my PC with this error

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

This worries me immensely. However I have just played doom3 fine for 20 minutes. This looks like a memory excetion error.

It occured on a map where they were using jetpacks? I still think this is a driver issue, but it dont feel right.

My memory has been fine in this PC for ages. I hope this is still an incompatible driver issue with 6800's and 61.77s.

My machine is NOT overclocked.

I think I'm going to wait till this is fixed till i play again.

Panic ye not pilgrims

That horrid microsoft error is because i had AA set to 8 with max anisotropic filtering set in my control panel.

I had the same unnerving reset playing UT2004 and had forgot to change the overide settings in the nvidia driver panel. This leads me to beleive it was the override that caused the problems.

I set the driver panel back to application control and UT2004 played no problems for 55 minutes.

This still leaves me with the menu freezing and freezing on exit for Jedi academy. 6800 users also incidentally get the freezing on exit in doom3, which has been identified on the planetdoom forums.

The freezing on exit is DEFINITELY an issue with 6800's and 61.77s. If you read the driver release PDF on nvidia's website the 61.77's are the latest release to add support for 6800's.

I suspect (and sincerely hope) that these errors with older openGL titles will be ironed out by nvidia as they add more support for the 6800's advanced features.

heres crossing your fingers gents

I've sent it to you guys. You just put jaconfig.cfg and jampconfig.cfg into your Jedi Academy/Base folder.

All settings maxed, including Dynamic Glow. Shadows set to Simple. 1024x768 res. Video Sync set to off (For better performance)

Controls, and sound options can be configured to whatever you like.

Let me know if it works. :)

Originally posted by general griff

Thanks for that crow

Is there any chance you know why I got that horrid microsoft dump error? I had AA set to 8 and max anisotropic set in the override.

Could my PC be frying?

No problems dudes. :)

What microsoft error are you talking about? Is it the illeagle programme and must shut down now error? If its at 16x AA then it could be the reason. Cause i know NVIDIA cards cant go over 8x. Im using an ATI Radeon 9600XT and could go up to 16x, but theres no difference from 8x.

Changing the AA is quite easy, you just to go the jaconfig.cfg (Single player). Look for this line

seta r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "16.000000"

You can search it by pressing ctrl+f and type it in

Now delete that line and put whatever you want here:

r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "8.000000" - 8x AA

r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "4.000000" - 4x AA

r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "2.000000" - 2x AA

It should work now for both Multi and Single player :)

Guys I fear the worst

Last night my pc kept resettng itself randomly while playing games. I phone my board manfuacturers tech support and they say it maybe my power supply. There is no logic to the resets. It can be 5 mins into a game or three hours.

They said to run the card off its own dedicated molex. I use a thermaltake 480watt supply. It seems getting Hw2 to run is the least of my problems at the moment.

The microsoft error says its an unidentifiable hardware error (nice). Only started happening in the last few days too. I will try installing my 4in1's again. PC's eh gotta love em. :(

Hi guys

Annoying reset problem fixed (I hope). The reason it keeps resetting is because im pushing my 6800GT too hard. I left it on a rolling demo chugging at 25-30fps on UT2004.

This was at 1280x1024 with everything set to high. I wont go into detail but i was giving the card some grief, and i think it just overheated or was sending too much data to the CPU.

Anyway now all runs smooth, any news of a driver release that makes jedi knight academy run ok with 6800GT cards yet?

the random restarts, sound similar to a problem i had with an 8500 and my buddy had w/ a gf4 mx. both were Apollo cards, and i came to the conclusion that they use really really really crappy memory in their board construction. the only way i could keep my 8500 from crashing was to underclock it. so, dont buy Apollo mfg cards :)

I dont think its a cack board

Mine is an XFX board, and they are pretty good manufacturers.

It only happened since ive been using windows XP.

Maybe XP pushes the AGP slot a bit too far, who knows?

This didnt occur when i was running a windows 2k system.

It dosent seem to be as much of a problem right now. Anyway back to topic. Where do i get the 66.00 drivers? Plus are they a nice executable? I hate updating drivers through the update driver button.

Anyone know where i can get a good nvidia driver cleaner?

Has anyone tried the 66.00 drivers with a 6800 with JKA?

Archived