Home

Star Wars DVDs!

Admiral Vostok

Well this is off-topic, since it isn't SWGB related, but it's not like the forums are getting clogged up with off topic posts... or indeed posts of any kind.

Who has gotten their hands on the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs? They were released today and I made it one of my first orders of the day to go out and get them.

I watched A New Hope today, and will most likely watch Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi within the next few days.

Also on the DVDs is an XBox playable demo of Battlefront. I gave this a try since I have access to an XBox, and let me just say it is indeed a great game.

So, being as fanatical about these movies as I am, I just thought I might like to hear what anyone else has to say on the matter.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the X-box demo comes on a seperate disc i'm gonna stick it in the Deep Fat Fryer and use it as a frisbee it's all any X-Box game is good for.

Actually I know who's fault it is that there hasn't been any posts I'll let other people figure it out though i'll give everyone a Hint Vostok's attevend.

It looks pretty good but of course EP 3 isn't going to be that full of sprises for me since the star wars .com site gives away quite a bit anyway and that's not to the snobs who payed for hyperspace.

Hope we get to see the m aking of General Grevious though.

APart from that it looks good

In theory I'd like to own these, for the extras if nothing else, but I can't really justify spending £25 on DVDs atm and I already have my dodgy Malaysian imports of the special editions. I don't really feel like giving LF any more of my money while they refuse to release the originals.

What does attevend mean?

Yeah I don't know what attevend means either, but I assume Viceroy is talking about Windu's absence.

The X-Box demo comes on the same disc as the rest of the bonus features, so I wouldn't go frisbeeing it anywhere.

Saber, you should be able to get them cheaper than that. Try Amazon at the very least.

As for the topic of the "original" vs the updated ones, I was thinking about this the other day... apart from the fact Lucas will never release the "originals" ever again, did they really have anything over the updated ones? All the important parts are the same. Watching A New Hope, I was impressed with some of the cleaning up they've done - it always annoyed me that when the Millennium Falcon entered the Death Star, you could totally see the stick holding it up. They've fixed that in this version, as well as a host of other nice touch-ups. They're still the same movies as the "originals", the story hasn't changed and apart from being cleaned up and modernised the visuals are pretty much the same too, or at least in the same vein.

Amazon £26.99. I think the cheapest is Play at £22.99.

The problem I have with the special editions is that they are different from the originals in some fairly significant ways. My biggest criticism is that the pace and structure of the original ANH were damn near perfect and unmatched by most other films before or since. With the extra scenes, that's all gone out of the window. The new scene with Jabba is completely superfluous and just slows things down. It has pretty much the same dialog as the Greedo scene. Then there's Greedo shotting first which everyone moans about all the time. Isn't it just absurd that he fires at such close range but misses?

Again in ESB there's a couple of pointless scenes with Vader getting on and off his shuttle near the end. They look nice in themselves, but they kill the pace at what is supposed to be the climax of the film.

ROTJ was always my least favourite anyway, but they've gone and made it worse. I used to think the Ewoks singing was pretty cheesy until I heard the awful Pan Pipe Moods type thing that they replaced it with. /me vomits copiously.

If they'd just clened them up and made them look better, that would be OK, but I think the changes are too big. A lot of the CGI stuff looks really out of place next to the original models. And it's the models that look more realistic. There's just something inherently wrong with CGI, or at least the way it's always employed in films. It just looks to smooth, clean and shiny. Models have much better textures and just look and feel more "real".

ANd these criticisms are just based on the 97 editions. If some of the rumours I've heard about the latest issue are true, then I'll be even more unimpressed.

I preoreded them awhile back.

AOTC DVDs are like 20 bucks now. With the trilogy, you're getting all 3 for 40 bucks. That's a good deal. That's like getting 1 free, plus you get all the bonus stuff.

I wihs I could play the BF demo, but when I preordered the DVDs, it was set to ship to home in FL, not my dorm. I'll have to wait for the PC Demo.

I'm not referring to Windu's absence that is a good thing and what's propably an unapreciated releif.

Since i forgot that throwing a birck through a window is classed as subtle around here what is was saying may has well not been saying so i'll spell it out.

Vostok's Xenophobia against the Geonosians taking their rightful place has scared everyone else because to argue like vostok has looks like flaming to an outsider and thus since I myself have deemed that thread a waste of time and not worth the bandwidth most people because of that thread have been scared off by it.

Is that subtle enough or do i need to do it in large?

Well that is slightly less subtle than using made-up words to describe it, yes. But calling my argument against Geonosian inclusion xenophobia makes it obvious you have no grasp of my argument at all.

Back on topic, I'd just like to address Saber's thoughts on the Special Edition. While some of the CGI seemed out of place in '97, that was really due to how unsophisticated CGI was back then. Jabba the Hutt's scene is the obvious evidence for that. For this version they've fixed that scene so Jabba looks right, at least so he matches his appearance in The Phantom Menace. They've further cleaned up a lot of the CGI in the DVD version, and in fact I believe the only reason people say you can tell what is CGI and what isn't is because you've seen it without. To prove my point, look at the bit with the CGI dewbacks when the Stormtroopers are looking at the excape pod. One of the dewbacks was a live prop, the rest are CGI. You can not tell which is which just by looking at them, and without getting out the old version and playing it side-by-side.

Greedo's shooting first was certainly the thing people complained most about, and perhaps due to that they've made Han and Greedo shoot simultaneously in the DVD version. I should point out that most people misinterpret Greedo's shot as a kill shot which misses horribly, when in fact it seems pretty obvious to me that the reason he missed at such close range was because he was just trying to scare Han, not actually kill him.

The scenes with Vader getting on his shuttle in The Empire Strikes Back I could agree with. I don't think they break up the movement of that scene; it's after the climax, so you're not really stringing it out. It just looks out of place because the music doesn't match up properly. I'd argue that had these scenes been properly included in the original version no one would complain.

And finally, to the Ewok song. If you like the old Ewok chanting over the new impressive finale score, I really think it is a case of just liking the old version for the sake of it. The Ewok song made me cringe every time I watched Return of the Jedi, so much so I'd tend to turn it off right about there. The Death Star was blown up, I'm not going to hang around and listen to the crappy Ewok song. The new version is a much more fitting end to a six-film saga.

The changes between Special Edition and DVD Edition are not as jarring as the changes between Original Edition and Special Edition. The only change I'm truly wary of is the replacement of Sebastian Shaw's ghost Anakin with that of Hayden Christensen. However, George Lucas says there is a reason for it that will be revealed in Episode III, and as always I put my faith in him. I'll at least reserve judgement until I've actually watched the DVD Edition Return of the Jedi.

Thing is with the dewbacks, at least in the 97 version, it's really screwed up the composition of the shot. It's like he just put them in because he could. There was no real need for it. Same with the extra meanderings round Mos Eisley. Why? So we get to see an ASP7. So what? It's almost like GL has become his own biggest and most nerdish fan.

I never said I liked the Ewok song. Quite the opposite in fact. But what exactly is "impressive" about the new music? It sounds like the sort of thing that is "not available in the shops". Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to replace it with some John Williams orchestral music which fitted in with the rest of the score?

Originally posted by saberhagen

Thing is with the dewbacks, at least in the 97 version, it's really screwed up the composition of the shot. It's like he just put them in because he could. There was no real need for it. Same with the extra meanderings round Mos Eisley. Why? So we get to see an ASP7. So what? It's almost like GL has become his own biggest and most nerdish fan.

Well the expanded Mos Eisley sequence was because in 1977 they didn't have the resources to recreate a huge spaceport city, so it looked small and under-populated. Now it looks proper, and much of the dodgy CGI has been fixed up in the DVDs.

I never said I liked the Ewok song. Quite the opposite in fact. But what exactly is "impressive" about the new music? It sounds like the sort of thing that is "not available in the shops". Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to replace it with some John Williams orchestral music which fitted in with the rest of the score?
I'm not sure I understand what you're arguing here... the new music was composed by John Williams, it is orchestral and it fits excellently with the rest of the music. If you listen to it you'll find it is sort of a revisit to the main theme; it shares many similarities with existing Star Wars music but is different enough to be an entirely new theme. Unless you're thinking of different music to me I don't understand your complaint.

Luke: Have faith that George Lucas will explain Christensen's appearance as a ghost through Episode III. I got the impression the reason he was replaced was to amend a continuity problem that leaving Sebastian Shaw there would create.

Just have to say that I actually like the Ewok's song. It's simple and primal like the Ewoks themselves and works fine for me. I don't mind the other song, but I'd prefer that it just be played while viewing the celebrations on the other planets (and extend the scenes of those celebrations if you want to have the whole song) then lead into the Ewok song to show the celebration on Endor. Course, if you want a celebration song, they could always go with the Gungan's song at the end of TPM.

Kryllith

No, the ASP-7 was created for the Special Edition. The way you can tell is that there is no way for the ASP-7 to be operated by a human in 1977: the design could only be made with CGI.

Indeed the Ewok song is simple and primal, and in itself the song isn't terrible as it does suit the Ewoks. However, that is the problem; it suits the Ewoks, not the end of a multi-generational saga of galactic politics and warfare.

The Gungan song on the other hand suits The Phantom Menace fine. It's the end of a single movie, not the end of a six-film saga, and it's a celebration of the freedom of a single planet, not the entire galaxy.

I've just been watching the full-length documentary that comes on the bonus disc with the DVDs, and after watching it, it is obvious that the original versions of all three films were not exactly what George Lucas wanted, but he had to put up with due to time, money and technology constraints. If I was him and I now had the ability to make my greatest movies more accurately represent my vision of them, I would do what he's done too.

Originally posted by DK_Viceroy

wasn't the ASP 7 already in the orignals anyway?

I personally liked the TPM celebration song was that the one played during that parade where they get that glowing orb of unity?

That's the one. I'm a big fan of it too, considering it's my favorite song in the movie (which is saying a lot, given Duel of Fates).

Kryllith

Originally posted by Admiral Vostok

Indeed the Ewok song is simple and primal, and in itself the song isn't terrible as it does suit the Ewoks. However, that is the problem; it suits the Ewoks, not the end of a multi-generational saga of galactic politics and warfare.

I'll grant you that, which is why I suggested using both songs. Though personally, if you want a galaxy-wide celebration I think the award ceremony march from New Hope would fit best. Course, that'd be unuseable given it already concluded the other movie.

Kryllith

Hmmmm I hope George will stun us all and go back and finish the last 3 movies to the saga like he promised at least for the Star Wars fans.

There is alot he could do.

The Imperials are still a force in the galaxy.

Reconstruction of the Jedi Order

New Republic struggle to maintain there presence as the new government

Possible new Sith threat and more.....

Archived