Home

New Battlefront Menu

Achillesz7

Friends,

I'm wondering if it possible to change the menu's look to something completely different. Different as in new backgrounds, music, buttons, transitions and etc...My idea for the menu is to make the user navigate as if he's on the bridge of a star destroyer. Please leave your comments as I'd like to get people's opinions on this idea before I start working on an animatic (moving storyboard) of the menu.

-Achillesz7

my guess would be that all the background movies are in the whopping 803MB shell.mvs file in GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\Movies. But since i know nothing about movie files, I have no clue whether this is an easily editable/readable file format (I do know that battlefront uses bink32, which is something related to videos)

Originally posted by Achillesz7

Friends,

I'm wondering if it possible to change the menu's look to something completely different. Different as in new backgrounds, music, buttons, transitions and etc...My idea for the menu is to make the user navigate as if he's on the bridge of a star destroyer. Please leave your comments as I'd like to get people's opinions on this idea before I start working on an animatic (moving storyboard) of the menu.

-Achillesz7

I believe something similar was doen with a few other games, Clone wars being one of them

If this is true I'd like to see some screen shots of the Clone Wars menu. Anyway, whether or not the menu can be completely redone, I've made a mock up of what the new Main menu screen would look like.

Here is the original menu:

origin1small.jpg

Here is the mock up of the new menu:

NewBFsmall.jpg

Tell me what you think. Which is better?

-Achillesz7

If this is true I'd like to see some screen shots of the Clone Wars menu. Anyway, whether or not the menu can be completely redone, I've made a mock up of what the new Main menu screen would look like.

-Achillesz7

Lol, you win. I only have the ps2 version of clone wars, i dont even know if there is a PC version. But i just remembered at scifi3d ( http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=302 ) there is a 3d model (with textures) of a star destroyer bridge.

Here is the original menu:

origin1small.jpg

Here is the mock up of the new menu:

NewBFsmall.jpg

-Achillesz7

Yes the second looks more authentic but the first comes as animation. So i don´t decide yet wich i like better.

It would be cool if the background would show some ingamevideoclips.

Rends

Yea. You could put clips of the game in the windows by Vader.

My deal with the current menu is that it looks chinsey and made for a console. It gives off the impression of "play or leave", not "stay, look around, get sucked in the world". Sure with the current menu you have all these swoops and stuff but honestly what good does that do? Maybe it proves that your going to have a good time playing, sure. But to me I'm not interested in being teased with a menu that goes, "Oh, look! The battle of Hoth in holo-gram form! And, wow! The Battle of Geonosis!! Soooo cool." This type of presentation translates to me as if they were trying to "celebrate" battlefront by flashing off "what your going to get" when you play. But you know what? I'll know exactly what I've got once I'm actually playing. Plus, we have this EXTREMELY happy SW music that's like, "Battlefront! Welcome to Battlefront! It's so cool! You can fly in any Star Wars vehicle! Yea!" And while your hearing the happy celebration music you see droids dancing below. Super.

And how many blue menus from a star wars game are we going to see? Five more? I mean give me a break.

JediOutcastMenu1.jpg

JediAcademyMenu1.jpg

And don't even ask about the Battlefront menu fonts. I looks like someone from force commander snuck on the development team and put there old font in there.

ForceCommandermenu.jpg

BFfont.jpg

Why do I get upset when I see this kind of menu? Well look at the classics from Lucasarts and you'll see why. These are player profile and mission selection menus from TIE Fighter. WAY better than what is seen above.

TIEfightermenu3sm.jpg

TieTourDesksm.jpg

So, if people are interested in creating a new menu it would have animation and be in GOOD 3D. The animation would be in camera movement and would "walk" from area to area on the bridge as the user navigates the different "branches" off the main menu. In regards to character/object animation I was thinking about little subtle details that would be cool. Officers quietly work in the command pit, doors open for the camera as it navigates into a different rooms and holograms shutter as the map is full displayed. Other little neat thing could happen. For example, if you moved your mouse pointer over the QUIT button a little mouse droid would roll on to screen from the right. I thought that would be kinda cute and add personality to the menu.

I feel like I'm trying to give a sales pitch here and no one is responding. If you like what I'm saying here, respond. I want to get a gauge on how many people would prefer a new menu.

-Achillesz7

I feel like I'm trying to give a sales pitch here and no one is responding. If you like what I'm saying here, respond. I want to get a gauge on how many people would prefer a new menu.

-Achillesz7 [/b]

I would, try to see what you can get out of the xbox version of Clone Wars on your PC (the format will probably be easily changed to something pc playable).

Yea, i remeber the menus of old school games, it was like a whole starship, and when you died, there would be a whole funeral procession where they would drop your coffin out the docking bay, then on the player profiles next to your name it would say DEAD. :(

Archived