Home

The Matrix: RIP-OFF!

El Sitherino

They may or may not have been the inventors of the technology, or been the first to even use it, but they were certainly the ones to really put it on the map.
Popularising something does not however, make one original. Otherwise we'd be praising the Beatles' manager for their music rather than Lennon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Spider AL

Popularising something does not however, make one original. Otherwise we'd be praising the Beatles' manager for their music rather than Lennon.

Among music-business types the guy (Brian Epstein,) along with thier Producer Sir George Martin, is about as close to deity as you can get. You may not praise him, but there are a whole lot of people who do...

What exactly was so original about The Beatles anyway? They took a lot of disparate musical influences and synthesized them into a singular sound. But all of the influences they used already existed in other popular music forms. Thier real innovation was combining these styles in a way that nobody had ever really thought about before.

Leo Fender and Les Paul didn't invent the solid-body electric guitar either... and Henry Ford certainly didn't invent the automobile. But where would we be today without these guys?

Thier genius comes in seeing a new technology and exploiting it or popularizing when nobody else has ever thought of it that way.

What is more original than that?

Yeah!!! I mean, what's up with buildings? They take completely solid things that have been around forever like wood, steel, and glass, then completely rip those materials off to make a mockery of their components. I mean, when will someone make a truly original building without ripping off such tired materials and formulas?!!!! :p:D:rolleyes:

Seriously, so what if the Matrix wasn't the first movie to try and bend your mind around their story and keep you guessing. The thing is that even though they weren't the first, they were the first that I had personally seen to adopt this controversial formula, and they made one dang entertaining set of movies that certainly surprised me with plot twists and had me, and most average movie goers, engrossed the entire time.

Then again, I'm not much of a snob for pure originality. I for one am a fan of movies in general. Whether they are a 50 year old original, or a remake of the same, or just a compilation of many wrapped into a hella good plot and story like Kill Bill...If it's entertaining and hits the right chords in my heart and imagination, then I call that a good movie.

The Matrix series hit the right chords, so I don't care if the Wachowski bros saw the idea in a vision from God, or stole it from some poor unsuspecting woman. It is a d@mn entertaining set of flicks that I will continue to watch over and over, just because I like them.

*end rant*

Archived