Home

Return of the Brain Eating Worms. AKA Ceeroque and Creyje, the Biological Trio. ALIAS

Ray Jones

Yes, indeed, as you might have noticed from this threads title, it's riddle time, i know, again, but.. yes, it's been too long and you're all just come over like ment..uuh..brai..tse..think-thingy

pygmies. So come nearer, join in and solve this meaning-of-the-world changing riddle. Those who, although impossible, already know the answer, will post it in spoilers or be punished, i know mods, super-mods, admins and super-admins, you know?? Obey.

So, here it is:

There are 12 balls..

..and one chick, what a mess. dozey_santa.gif

*banned, thread over, GO HOME!*

---

Now seriously. There are 12 cubes, and make it gamepads if you like.

However, it should be spheres, because that's not so easy as using cubes or gamepads.

11 are complete equal in color, weight etc. 1 looks equal but has a different weight.

You have a balance and 3 measurings.

How do you find the different cube/gamepad/MAAANWHATEVER!!, and is it heavier or lighter?

[edit]

What the? "It" shortened the title. CRAP! Now i look like a dumbnut.

DEAR MOD!

Take the ALIAS out, now! Stop my thread's title from looking STRANGE.

please? puppy_santa.gif

1. You divide the balls into 3 groups of 4 balls each

2. weigh group 1 and group 2

group 1 heavier than group 2:

-> proceed with group 2

group 2 heavier than group 1:

-> proceed with group 1

group 2 and group 1 weigh the same:

-> proceed with group 3

3. divide the group into 2 sub-groups of 2 balls each

4. weigh sub-group a and b

5. the rest should be easy enough for everyone to figure out

That doesn't work exactly.

Because you must find out if it's heavier or lighter. And

you'll need the second measurement to find out if the cube is in it, although if it is lighter, then of course it's easy to find out with the third measurement. But if you chose the "wrong" group, you'll know the cube is heavier, but have only one measurement left to find out which one of four it is. Impossible. In case 3 things look good from there on, but not using the method you described. Because you don't even know if the cube would be heavier or not.

Failed! Try again! Or i'll have to assume you're brainless.

Fealiks: another post like that and i'll have to do .. nothing. I have no moderator powers. Sadly enough. But be informed, this thread is for using your brain, only. And for making clear that i usually don't look like a dumbnut. On the other hand.. you have only 3 tries, not 11.

Come on, people. Have a try. And don't be afraid to look as stupid and smallbrained as alien does at the moment. Look at the thread title. It's looking too dumb, until someone will take the "ALIAS" out.

Yeah, and Thrik didn't change it, assumed he read this thread, he's wether too lazy, or just likes it if i look like a dumbnut. Grr..reat job, Mister.

*hears a maniacally evil laughter, then Thrik's voice from the far: "What a dumbnut!"

And just to let you know, i don't know the solution myself.

OK, this time I actually thought it through.

You divide into 4 groups.

if(groupA != groupB)

{

if(groupA != groupC)

{

X = groupA

}

else

{

X = groupB

}

}

else

{

if(groupA != groupC)

{

X = groupC

}

else

{

// you are fucked, since you can't tell

// if the resulting group is heavier or

// lighter than the rest

X = groupD

}

}

You note whether the X-group is heavier or lighter than the other groups it's measured against. Then weigh two balls of the X-group (a and b).

If they weigh the same, the result is ball c. Otherwise the one that has the same traits that the X-group had (i.e. heavier or lighter) is the result.

This was also my first attempt, but i soon had to discover that there is one case were it also fails..

Hmm.. i am pretty convinced i have the solution. Shall i post it, so this thread is ready to spam it to death, or anyone want to have another try so we have at least three serious attempts?

...i'm for spamming...

NOW!

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

...spam...

*dies*

Originally posted by RayJones

but i soon had to discover that there is one case were it also fails..

Take a look at the X = groupD branch of my attempt. It's not perfect... yet. You can describe your solution, but please use spoiler tags. I think I'll write a PHP script to solve this puzzle.

*picks up the M-16s from McCoy's very dead body*

Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho. cool_santa.gif

Archived