Home

Can you enjoy KotOR2 if you've modded the hell out of KotOR1?

tk102

For the active members of Holowan Labs who have also played KotOR2 on the XBOX:

Were you able to enjoy playing KotOR2?

I'm afraid I'm just going to nitpick everything instead of getting enthralled like I did when KotOR1 came out and modding was in its infancy. Of course modding KotOR2 may be enjoyable, but there's not going to be as much undiscovered territory.

At this point I feel more like KotOR2 is "required reading" rather than a great game to look forward to. I hope that feeling reverses itself over the next 3 weeks.

Were you able to enjoy playing KotOR2?

Actually, yes... I have played through 6 times, one for each class combination. And I haven't yet, not enjoyed myself... even with some of the XBox bugs.

Some of the cutscene work and things you get to do while training are very cool, especially with Krea on the Hawk, are very nice. The story is also very much an ESB feeling, which is also cool.

Though you do have to recuse yourself of the 'modding' mindset and put yourself in a 'playing' mindset or else you start making notes on what you want to put or change and where.

Though I will not be playing the game on the XBox again as I have come to hate the damnable XBox controller to no end. This does not pertain negatively to the game itself in any way... just the stupid XBox controller... old dog trying new tricks I guess!

I am now anxiously awaiting the PC version so I can have my Mouse and Keyboard back, along with my custom edited classpowergain.2da, featgain.2da, and classes.2da. Again, this is not TSL fault, but my innate dislike of the WOTC D20 system, I learned with KOTOR 1 to differentiate the game from the game system, so I work with what they give me.

Just my 2 cents!

I agree with RedHawke, except for the controller part, you actually prefer a keyboard and mouse for this game? A controller is what makes me play Xbox or PS2 over a computer, I cant stand using a keyboard and mouse enless its a FPS. But I make an exception for KOTOR I on PC because I like making new items and such.

the xbox controller S ain't bad if you get used to it. at least your not using the original controller, that thing would probably give your arms cramps at nite because its so heavy. :eek:

best console controller: ps2. simple, light, and you can toss it across the room w/o it breaking something (or itself). :)

best overall controller: mouse & keyboard pwns all for everything but sports.

as for the real topic of this thread, i have no comment until feb. :fist:

(stay on topic please folks)

Thank you Redhawke for your response. I suppose rocket launchers, new force powers, weapon upgrades, and specialization classes will help game play. All said, they add a good amount of new strategic elements.

I hope TSL for the PC will bring back some old members to the Labs. Gameunlimited, Talchia, and Kitty Kitty to name a few...

I have to say that I enjoyed this game much more the second time I played it. The first time I had Kotor 1 too much in mind and I was thinking "mods" a bit too much. The other thing that made the game more enjoyable the second time is that I knew when and where to use my party members so I could gain influence on them and get more dialogues and do some additional side-quests. I already have some ideas for side quests.

There will be new elements to play with when Kotor 2 comes out for the pc. Regarding new areas, I think it will be easier to add new stuff for kotor 2 and insert it in the storyline. There are sooo many doors I wish I was able to open in this game :D

Also, tk, if you've checked nwscript.nss there are new scripting functions so I guess there willl be new scripting questions on the boards ;)

For force powers, the mind trick is already there :( and there are quite a few new ones too.

Ah good point. Side-quests are unlocked by this new influence system. That's another degree of depth that should be interesting.

I know I once said that I'd probably be modding this game right out of the box (and if KSE is a mod, then that's true), but I would like to just enjoy the game without thinking about mods at all. So perhaps as you say, it takes twice through to get the new mindset. In that case, I'll set aside my skepticism for now. Thanks, I feel better.

Originally posted by tk102

Ah good point. Side-quests are unlocked by this new influence system.

Oops, that's not exaclty what I meant. Sorry my previous post wasn't clear: when you gain more influence with the npcs (or loos a lot of influence with some of them) you get additional dlg options (HK-47 is as hilarious as ever) but no real side-quests. The frustating point in the first game was to get all the spots where you can gain/loose influence on party members and they kept repeating the same damn things over and over :mad:.

Second playthrough I was able to gain max influence on all of them and learn more about the main plot and

get more Jedis in my party

. I also discovered new side quests,

(including the Juma Juice quest :D )

but they are not linked to the influence factor. One of the interesting points in Kotor 2 is that skills are finally important and affect the way you play the game and the way you use your npcs.

For me, the question wasn't whether or not I could enjoy it. It was whether or not I could get through the game without changing anything.

Alas... I fell to the dark side. My computer was quickly strewn with the the casualties of my fall from grace, and hours later, the game would never be the same.

Too many possibilities for me to just "play". In fact, I don't remember the last time I played any game without a modding mindset... and that goes back a long way. It doesn't get in the way, it's just my nature.

The second time I played this game, when I got to the latter-half of it, I was like "I'm just gonna download Dootdoo's Trainer and go from there", see what higher stats could do and what not. My thing was to see if I could unlock secret missions or not, or open doors that were meant to stay locked and such.

Archived