Home

Any way to import K2 models into K1?

Archonon

Hi I'd really like to know if there is any way I can replace Darth Malak's model with Darth Nihilus from K2?

I believe I read something about the models being different in the two games so this may not be possible but just in case I wanted to ask.

Thanks.

Hello,

I am still playing the game, so I have not had a chance to really look at the kotor 2 models. I am going to really work on it once I finish the game.

I did take a peek at 1 tri-mesh model. The kotor 2 tri-mesh is bigger than the kotor 1 tri-mesh by 8 bytes. But that is enough to keep the current version of MDLOps from working with kotor 2.

I have not looked at any skin-mesh models yet. So I don't know how compatible they would be with kotor 1, if at all. If the changes are as minor as the tri-mesh then it might be possible.

While we may be able to quietly support importing tga's like heads in the sort into KOTOR 2 from KOTOR 1 especially those that others have done. Due to legality issues we can't actually support or discuss importing KOTOR 2 elements into KOTOR 1. At least this is what I have been made to understand from T7nowhere please correct me if I misunderstood T7. I know I would like clarification of what elements we can import from KOTOR 1 into KOTOR 2.

That's strange Darkender, is it because they are from different publishers? I've seen plenty of things ported from one Jedi Knight game to another. Already I've seen ports from K1 into K2 why would there be a problem from importing something from K2 into K1?

I can understand not wanting to port something from a game like Jedi Knight into one of the KotOR games (Which has already been done anyway) but since KotOR 1 and 2 are virtually the same game with the same engine I find it odd there would be problem, especially since modding is not supported or endorsed for either game to begin with.

I hope I can get some clarification on this, in any case I was just wondering if there was a way to do it so I could replace Malak with Nihilus for myself, I wasn't planning on releasing it.

Please keep me updated on this matter, I'd really like to know both the legal issues and the possibility (if any) of how to change the models.

Thank you.

Hello all,

(standard disclaimer): I am not a lawyer.

I think the real issue is that you can not take any content from a copyrighted work and redistribute it.

If you own both Kotor 1 and 2 and you extract a model from one and put it into the other you are not doing anything wrong since you own both games. You are licensed to use the content for both games.

However you can not then distribute that work since the model is a copyrighted work. It does not matter that you changed the form of the model.

There should be no problem discussing how to do this as long as you take care not to distribute someones copyrighted material without their consent.

But let us find out if the moderators consider this an acceptable topic.

^^^^

I couldn't have said it better. The Forum Rules are also being Amended To make this This type of modding clear. Basicaly If its for your own use and you can do what you want, But as cchargin said Redistribution of separate copyrighted material will not be supported. So to make it clear, No taking files from another game and posting them as mods for SW:KotOR or SW:KotOR:TSL.

Originally posted by T7nowhere

^^^^

I couldn't have said it better. The Forum Rules are also being Amended To make this This type of modding clear. Basicaly If its for your own use and you can do what you want, But as cchargin said Redistribution of separate copyrighted material will not be supported. So to make it clear, No taking files from another game and posting them as mods for SW:KotOR or SW:KotOR:TSL.

So I'm certain I'm clear from your last sentenece. Does this mean that I can be able to provide a ported patch for my recent area module to use it in SW:KotOR:TSL and post it as a mod for download. Or does it mean I would have to recreate it from scratch using only the resources in SW:KotOR:TSL.

Screen shots are taken throughout the game development process. If you look hard enough you'll see KotOR I style robes in some of the screenies too. I'm sure that the devs used KotOR I stuff to test modules and game play while others were building models and skins. Once the TSL stuff was completed, they no longer needed the KotOR stuff.

If I were to extract the data for a model, we'll for the sake of argument take...

kmodel1.mdl

and were to edit it then use a program such as ips or the program that is used to trade poser files that use the geometry from one of the official poser models... could they not be transferred... they contain no code from the original file, only the modified data. this technique requires you to have the original file to incorporate the modified data onto.

The only thing I have been able to do, was use old textures for the head models. A few of the head models for kotor 2 are the same as 1, and all you need to do is take out the kotor 1 texture files for that particular head, Re-size the texture to 256 I think it was, and then name the files the same as the texture used for kotor 2.

Archived