Home

Lechucks revenge with CD quality music/speech?

JamesTCT

Quick question... I'm a big fan of the Monkey Island series and really enjoyed Monkey Island II: Lechucks revenge on the Amiga. Having checked otu a few mp3s of Michael Lands fantastic music, I discovered a whole heap of files that seem to be professionally recorded, or at least done on a very good sound card. I have the original MI game with nice CD quality music, but was there ever a CDROM release of MI2 with speech and music that had been done properly, rather than on the MIDI of the sound card? If so, is it available and does it work on Windows XP? Sadly a lot of my old Lucasarts games wont work on WinXP anymore, but it might be wort getting MI2 for the CD quality music alone.

Originally posted by JamesTCT

I have the original MI game with nice CD quality music, but was there ever a CDROM release of MI2 with speech and music that had been done properly, rather than on the MIDI of the sound card?

There was no version of Monkey Island 2 (or part 1 for that matter) with speech. The music in Monkey Island 2 is another matter. It uses the iMuse engine that changes the music on the fly. Different situations have different music. While I know that CMI does essentially the same thing (with waves instead of midis) I doubt that LucasArts would put that much effort into a re-release of MI2.

Originally posted by JamesTCT

Sadly a lot of my old Lucasarts games wont work on WinXP anymore

There's a program that will run your games on XP beautifully: ScummVM. You could even play the Amiga version on your PC, using this program.

Thankyou! I installed SCUMMVM and MI2 works perfectly and so does Sam and Max! Although technically all my Lucasarts games work on WinXP, the sound doesnt, and its just not the same without the speech or great music. Ishall enjoy playing MI2 again - the last time was on an Amiga where you had to swap discs 30 times to load a scene! (Still, wasnt as bad as Fate of Atlantis on the Amiga!) Its so nice to have everything load immediatly!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived