Home

How to change NPC name??

Aurelius

In making my NPC, I dont know how to change the displayed name on the game. This is a TSL mod, though Im sure the is little variation from SWK. The tutorials I havent found the exact info on this...

I think this has to do with the .utc file, my best guess. And Im thinking I have to change the "FirstName" box. And "LastName" box. (pics below)

clipboard012pp.jpg]pic1[/url]

clipboard027ym.jpg]pic2[/url]

My intention is to have it display on the HUD when playing the game too. And in portraits.

Do I need to write any script for this?

Edit any 2da files?

Please help Im kinda lost

:confused:

It's the same thing as Kotor 1: go on FirstName and type 0 for English in the Language ID box and press enter (you will find the other language codes in this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131944 )

Then the big square box under this should become white. Type the name of your npc and click on another field before saving or you'll loose your changes.

Don't bother with the LastName field

That did work.

But it worked for only when I am supposed to recruit the NPC. They now enter into my party with the name given.

I tried it out on a saved game where I had already had the NPC for a while but no name, and it didnt edit the blank space.

Looks like I have to go back to where I recruited the NPC to acutally play with them having the new name.

unless theres some other setting change I should make...

thanks

Originally posted by tk102

You can alway use KSE for savegame name changes.

ill try that out. though i dont think this is big deal right now. im just trying to get the hang of it for now and testing some mods out.

i have 2 quick questions if you have a second...

you guys dont happen to know why my NPC has a picture on the party selection screen a little bit off centered (in both the "party" menu and the "character" menu)? its like the skin of the new character if a little above (maybe a couple inches off from where the direct center is) from where they should be standing.

And they dont seem to have any certain stance... (in "character" menu) by Force alignment...

You know how Light Side characters stand tall, and have the character looking upwards (upwards stance) hands behind their back looking up, also Dark Side characters look down sinister looking downwards and hands are clinched by their sides, and with Neutral Side characters looking straight ahead, very plain looking...

my new npc's have none of the above. they are on the "party" and "character" menu as if they were just standing in the game, like if you were to walk up to them and talk...

how can i change this stuff?

thanks

1. No idea. Is it a custom picture? I'd suggest that you make sure it's the same dimensions as all the other TSL avs (I'm no expert on these).

2. If you replaced a droid or someone whose alignment doesn't change, that could be causing this. Otherwise, not sure. Make sure you didn't accidently set the NPC as a "droid" or something in the utc file.

Originally posted by boinga1

1. No idea. Is it a custom picture? I'd suggest that you make sure it's the same dimensions as all the other TSL avs (I'm no expert on these).

2. If you replaced a droid or someone whose alignment doesn't change, that could be causing this. Otherwise, not sure. Make sure you didn't accidently set the NPC as a "droid" or something in the utc file.

(this is not a custom picture, i am talking about the picture that shows the NPC's in "character" menu and "party" menu with their stance, either light, dark, or neutral)

I found out that both of these things happens when the new NPC is replaced by an old NPC that was a droid.

If I replace someone for HK47's slot, the new NPC looks taller than normals and has no effect on force alignment either light dark or nuetral (sounds like HK47). If its for T3M4 the new NPC picture is cut off at the knees and seems shorter than usual and has no effect on force alignment either light dark or nuetral (sounds like T3M4).

Now the two things they have in common are: they are droids!

But, for some reason this didnt apply to GOTO for me. I guess the game doenst really consider him a driod. Beause I replaced GOTO with a new NPC and they have the correct image and picture is affected by Force alignment.

Does the game still think they are droids on portraits?

Im thinking Im missing a setting, but maybe the game has those two slots a little off for droids.

:confused:

by the way... the new NPC that has that problem with their pciture... they cant wear custom clothes and things like armor too. Well, they CAN equip it, but the NPC model in the game doesnt change their clothes, it always keeps the image as the orginal clothes they have in the game.

(this brings me back to the idea that somehow the game still thinks they are a driod)

even stranger...

Well the party selection screen thing is due to the way those npcs (HK-47 and T3m4) are positioned in the gui. You could look at the gui files to see if it can be fixed if it really bothers you. I can't give you more info right now as I don't have the game with me.

...and please, some bumping threads up (check the forum rules)

Originally posted by mrock

by the way... the new NPC that has that problem with their pciture... they cant wear custom clothes and things like armor too. Well, they CAN equip it, but the NPC model in the game doesnt change their clothes, it always keeps the image as the orginal clothes they have in the game.

(this brings me back to the idea that somehow the game still thinks they are a driod)

even stranger...

Make sure your appearance.2da file is not all the same for each model type for your character (ie N_CommF or something) all the way across and has the differnent models the same as the PC's and the other recruitable NPC's. If it already does then thats just weird and I would suggest re making your 2da file. If it doesnt then try the changes above.

Archived