Home

ROTS plotholes

rut-wa jodar

i'll add the good ole "your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" Which is what Obi tells Luke about anakins lightsaber... IIRC Anakins last words to Obi were

"I HATE YOU !!!!!" [/evil]

But of course, Im sure Obi was just lying to Luke, to inspire him to want to become a jedi.... that old man is full o lies !!!

mtfbwya

If you want a hole, how about when Luke asks Leia to describe her real mother and Leia can... She wouldn't been able to remember her mother being very beautiful, but sad from the couple seconds she saw her as a baby.

My only guess to explain that is she watched a fair bit of holofilms of her mother as a child and misremembered her as actually being alive when she was young.

Kryllith

Originally posted by rut-wa jodar

in ANH old ben clearly does not recognise the droids,i find that a bit odd.

I wondered this too. I mean, if you think about it, Obi and the droids were pretty close. Just think about the beginning of Episode 3 when they were calling on R2 for help. Then in ANH he suddenly doesnt recognize them at all? Sure, theres millions of droids, and his memory may not be the same, but he doesnt recognize a droid with the name R2-D2 thats carrying a message for Bail Organa? It seems odd. It also seems wierd that Owen Larrs doesnt recognize C3P0, considering when Cleig and Shmi married, C3P0 was the servent in their house all that time. I guess its understandable that he not remember C3P0, because they had little interaction with eachother, but for Obi Wan to not recognize R2 at all just seems wierd to me.

Originally posted by Kryllith

If you want a hole, how about when Luke asks Leia to describe her real mother and Leia can... She wouldn't been able to remember her mother being very beautiful, but sad from the couple seconds she saw her as a baby.

My only guess to explain that is she watched a fair bit of holofilms of her mother as a child and misremembered her as actually being alive when she was young.

Kryllith

Does Leia know she's an adopted child? I did not get that feeling when watching the movies (or perhaps I just missed something). It could just be Bail's wife (forgot the name -_-) who died when Leia was really young. Perhaps....

@ Vader523

When C-3PO worked for Owen, he had his silver look. Sure the voice is the same, but maybe he just did not realize it could be C-3PO.

About Obi-Wan not recognizing the droids : the only thing possible is that Obi fakes it. Perhaps to hide the past to Luke or something.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

But of course, Im sure Obi was just lying to Luke, to inspire him to want to become a jedi.... that old man is full o lies !!!

mtfbwya

Well duh, Luke was their hope for overthrowing the sith.

in ANH old ben clearly does not recognise the droids,i find that a bit odd.

Here's a toaster you had 20 years ago that cooked your toast, you saw him everyday.

You haven't seen him in 20 years though, do you recognize him?

She was the last of the two babies with Padme as she lay dying. Surely her abilities in the force allowed her some insight into her mothers emotions. She also cried the very instant her mother died. And naturally should Bail have told her she were adopted he'd show her pictures of Padme.

Not everything needs to be spelled out, just use some imagination.

Originally posted by Vader523

It also seems wierd that Owen Larrs doesnt recognize C3P0, considering when Cleig and Shmi married, C3P0 was the servent in their house all that time. I guess its understandable that he not remember C3P0, because they had little interaction with eachother, but for Obi Wan to not recognize R2 at all just seems wierd to me.

3po also didn't have gold plating when he was with them. He was a rusted out peice of crap. And he didn't really introduce himself until he was alone with Luke. It's also possible Owen didn't give any mind to the droids, especially considering how he acts to 3po upon purchasing him. Droids seem to be merely appliances to him, not worthy of his attention beyond them doing their job.

Besides what is Owen or Obi going to say? Oh yes, we remember these droids. (Owen) We had this gold one when your father, my step-brother, came to find his mother, though at the time he wasn't gold, he was merely rusty and annoying.

(Obi) Your father and I worked with these droids up until he turned to evil and became Darth Vader. He had killed your real mother leaving you and your twin sister as orphans. By the way, if you meet this princess from Alderaan, don't kiss her because that'd be incest.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Here's a toaster you had 20 years ago that cooked your toast, you saw him everyday.

You haven't seen him in 20 years though, do you recognize him?

I disagree, R2 + 3P0 were pretty unique when it came to their personalities. Back in 1977 when i saw them for the first on the big screen,they became instantly unforgettable and I was only 7 at the time.

I disagree, R2 + 3P0 were pretty unique when it came to their personalities. Back in 1977 when i saw them for the first on the big screen,they became instantly unforgettable and I was only 7 at the time.

And your point? That's thinking outside of the star wars universe. In universe there could be other droids like them.

Originally posted by Darth54

Does Leia know she's an adopted child? I did not get that feeling when watching the movies (or perhaps I just missed something). It could just be Bail's wife (forgot the name -_-) who died when Leia was really young. Perhaps....

I'm pretty sure she knew. But to emphasize the point, Luke ask Leia, "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" The fact that he specified her "real" mother, and that there seemed to be no confusion on her part about his use of the word "real" suggests she was talking about Amidala.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

She was the last of the two babies with Padme as she lay dying. Surely her abilities in the force allowed her some insight into her mothers emotions. She also cried the very instant her mother died. And naturally should Bail have told her she were adopted he'd show her pictures of Padme.

Whether or not a newborn can use the Force to find insight into a mother's emotion is probably not important. I'll take it as granted that she could probably tell her mother's emotions even without the Force simply because of the bond formed in the womb. However, how many adults do you know that can recall anything at all about the time they were born from person experience... or for that matter, any time during the first year of life? Perhaps her using the Force might serve better in this capacity, provided she has the control to do so.

As of the pictures, well yeah, I already suggested something to that end.

R2 falls into the sand close to the pit of Sarlacc in Episode VI. He also falls into a swamp on Dagobah in episode V. In Episode IV he gets electircally pulsated by a Jawa.

- If this guy has a jet pack (as displayed in Episodes II and III), why the hell doesn't he use it in the earlier trilogy?

2. Obi-Wan is an awesome fighter in Episodes II and III, but somehow in Episode IV he barely knows how to swing a lightsaber.

Note: If you feel like responding to the Obi-Wan comment, please do not state that he got older. Yoda was extremely old in Episodes I, II and III, and yet he rocked at fighting as he retained the force. I expect no less of Obi considering he was much much younger than Yoda.

Kryllith

In "The Empire Strikes Back" Yoda said "Through the force, things you will see, other places, the future, THE PAST, OLD FRIENDS LONG GONE" Leia was strong with the force but wasn't aware of it until Luke's revelation. As a child she probably had feelings and visions of her mother through the force from when Padme was alive. For whatever reason Luke had not had the same feelings through the force of Padme ("I have no memory of my mother, I never knew her"). Just as Leia had no feelings of Annakin/Vader her father.

Others say she was talking about Bail Organa's wife. That's also a possibility. Either way, this is not a plot hole.

Originally posted by Konar

R2 falls into the sand close to the pit of Sarlacc in Episode VI. He also falls into a swamp on Dagobah in episode V. In Episode IV he gets electircally pulsated by a Jawa.

- If this guy has a jet pack (as displayed in Episodes II and III), why the hell doesn't he use it in the earlier trilogy?

2. Obi-Wan is an awesome fighter in Episodes II and III, but somehow in Episode IV he barely knows how to swing a lightsaber.

Note: If you feel like responding to the Obi-Wan comment, please do not state that he got older. Yoda was extremely old in Episodes I, II and III, and yet he rocked at fighting as he retained the force. I expect no less of Obi considering he was much much younger than Yoda.

About R2 :

Why would he use his thrusters on Tatooine? Luke was to bring him up anyway. No need to use fuel.

What good would it do to start them in water?

He did no know that a scary jawa would leap out of nowhere and shoot him with an ion blaster. Like it or not, but R2 is not force sensitive.

About Obi : I never thought he ever wanted to win this fight. It was only to give Luke enough time to escape. Besides, "if you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine". If you could become more powerful, would you? Or, with a Jedi point of view (since become more powerful is quite obscene) : if you could help the cause of good (i.e. the Rebellion) better, would you?

20 years not fighting with a lightsaber, you tend to lose some of the abilities you once had with it. In the PT, they still practiced with their lightsabers, but showing your lightsaber in the OT was most definitely not a wise thing to do.

True Obi Wan is much younger, but a completely different species, so by ANH Obi Wan is a similar age to Yoda. Also Yoda was much stronger than Obi Wan in the force, which is how yoda fought.

I agree with Insane Sith, after 20 years of sitting around in a cave on tatooine talking to dead jedi and playing with your beard you might forget some of the skills you once had with a lightsaber.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I found in ROTS, which is more of a continuity error than a plothole is in the scene where Mace Windu is in a meeting with a holographic Yoda and Aayla Secura, there's a shot of him where we can see his lightsaber, if you look then its obviously not Windu's normal hilt, it looks more like his TPM hilt..

Archived