Home

Hardware suggestions please :D

Ok I know why my net is so slow, it's because of my wireless modem setup, I have to reset the Router (I think that's what it's called:p ) every once in a while, or it bogs down,

But even when it is at it's peak it still isn't all that fast, I think the reason is I haven't upgraded any of the internet related systems since I got it in 2001

56k modem, and usb 1.0 (aint I a stinker):D

Anyway, I was hoping the more technologically inclined folks here *cough*stinger*cough* or anybody else could recommend some hardware (just got a paycheck and a couple xtra C's are burning in my pocket:D )

Thanks in advance for your help:D

If I had any sense, I'd probably try and buy Photoshop and do high quality reskins, but I love battlefield 2 too much and want to decrease my lag and ping and all that suicide inducing stuff:D

I have a gig of ram, and DSL,

Ill edit in specs in a minute,

But I meant, I do know I need to upgrade (man, pick anything and I need it upgraded:D ) internet related stuff, but I don't know what to get, pretty much anything would probably be better than my current setup, but I want to know what the good stuff is, from those who have personal experience with them:)

well, internet speed is going to be dependant on a number of factors. one is your ISP (internet service provider). since your running DSL, you might want to find out what speed you're paying for. basically, if you're paying for less than 512kbps, then your getting ripped off (and that goes with any ISP, cable or DSL).

as far as gaming goes, if you're using an in-home network (ie, less than 10 computers are hooked up), then check to see if somebody or something else isn't using your connection. this is even more important if you have a wireless connection as you could have a number of people leeching off of your connection (people like me that take advantage of others that don't put a simple password on their router).

having other people use the internet while your on it will seriously increase your ping.

Working on specs (I forget how to do it every single time:D I always figure it out eventually though)

My parents actually buy it, and I was always to lazy to check it out, I need to use my geek cap more;)

But it shows up in my options and status screens as usually 16-66 megabits, usually around 24 though.

While not a "high population area" the houses here are fairly close together, but I think they already have wireless internet, sometimes theirs shows up as selectable:eek:

"people like me that take advantage of others that don't put a simple password on their router"

Now why would you do that;)

"having other people use the internet while your on it will seriously increase your ping."

How can I tell if someone else is using it? And my mom is the only other one here who uses it (real estate), and there doesn't seem to be any difference wether hers is on or not, it actually slows down just a hair when I turn hers off.

I have a pc, she's got a laptop (take it on vacation and still can't play anything on it:p )

My computer knowledge has obviously been irreversably convoluted since I first started using them:rolleyes:

:D

EDIT: I was able to find this, but it doesn't say much about the network stuff,

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. (P4B-LA)

> Chipset : Intel i845

> Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 1993 MHz

> Physical Memory : 1024 MB (SDRAM)

> Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9800 XT (R350)

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG SV8004H (80 GB)

> CD-Rom Recorder : TDK CDRW241040B CDR, CDR-W (40x ) (24x )

> DVD-Rom Drive : Hewlett-Packard DVD Writer 100

> DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616F (48x )

> Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster 15 inchs

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c

I'll keep looking:)

Hmm that's all I can seem to get, the system info doesn't seem to work, and everytime I save the information from PC wizard it just puts out the same info as above?

well, to get your networking settings on PC Wizard, you'll have to check out the networking button in the hardware section. that should be able to tell you your connection speed to the router and if you're using wireless or wired network.

and to be honest, your networking stuff probably isn't holding you back.

and you did say that you could connect to other open wireless networks, well, one of them could have a faster connection than you do, so mess around a bit without trying to hack your way into their computers. so far, the government views using other people's wireless connections as legal as long as its an open and unsecured network. if you're just using it for internet access, you don't have to worry about legal implifications (not at the moment, anyway). ;)

I'm pretty sure I at least have to upgrade the usb, it always gives me some message about being plugged into USB 1.0 and it can run faster on other connections, I don't know if it's the norm, but its this little antennae that sticks directly into the back of my computer in a USB port (kinda looks like the one on HK47's head:p )

" so mess around a bit"

I thought that WAS illegal, won't doing that slow the connection that THEY pay for?

I did use the networking section, I actually used most of the sections, but I couldn't save them as anything other than the first one, I had a folder full of text docs that were the exact same:confused:

"and get and amd motherboard cpu combo and what every you do don't go to best buy or any other place like that the online store newegg is alot cheaper"

That's something Else I need to know, I can visit all the sites and look at all the catalogs I want, But they don't replace someone who has used them telling you what the best stuff is,

What is available and the best quality as far as web related hardware, and Key system components:)

Sorry for all the trouble, when it comes right down to basic Geek Forms, I'm better at the Imagination form, than the Application one;)

But I do dual wield in the I form:D

but amd is the best:p and most places will convince you that a tube of toothpaste is the best if they they think that and people at bestbuy and those places don't know what they are talking about anyway I know i test some:p and for an example of price difference I just bought a Geforce 4 6200 256MB graphics card at newegg.com for 84.00 and that same card at bestbuy is 399.99 im like :eek: they are riping people off big time

something you may want to consider for your wireless is chucking the USB antenna and getting a PCI wireless card. that would probably help you with both reception and speed since USB 1.1 doesn't have half the bandwidth of a PCI slot and you can get special directional antennas for the PCI card.

and just in case you don't know, the PCI slot is the white slots that all those cards are placed in on your motherboard (not the dark grey one that looks like its offset from the others. thats your AGP slot for your graphics board.). ;)

just my two pennies. :)

"something you may want to consider for your wireless is chucking the USB antenna and getting a PCI wireless card. that would probably help you with both reception and speed since USB 1.1 doesn't have half the bandwidth of a PCI slot and you can get special directional antennas for the PCI card.

and just in case you don't know, the PCI slot is the white slots that all those cards are placed in on your motherboard (not the dark grey one that looks like its offset from the others. thats your AGP slot for your graphics board.).

just my two pennies. "

Thanks for the advice, although, I do know the difference between the slots (visually, not technically) I'm just barely enough of a geek to have swapped out my video and RAM cards:D

So, I thought there were newer versions of USB than what I have, (last I heard of was 2.0?)

are they as fast as PCI?

the only way to upgrade to usb 2.0 is to get a special card to to get a motherboard cpu combo that has usb 2 build in and no usb 2.0 is not faster than a pci slot and deffently not faster than pci 2 slots:eek: but they are new:p

I haven't opened mine lately either:D

So I don't remember what I have room for (I'm sure there was an info screen somewhere)

But if I go with upgrading to a wireless modem card,

What's good and what's bad, what features do I look for and are there any particular brands that build higher quality,

And how much are the best ones, because it would be nice if I could get something that would carry over to my next machine.

As for the colors, I would prefer Red, but I'm not sure what color it really is:D

well, i use a Linksys PCI adapter wireless card. and i use it because its a high quality make. as far as pricing goes, its usually one of the most expensive ones, but it will last you the life of your computer. to be honest, i'm not really aware of the quality of other makes and models. i do know that some of the other available brands include NetGear, Belkin, and Motorola.

as far as wireless performance goes, i couldn't really tell ya since i haven't seen any benchmarking scores out there for wireless adapters.

i have some links below to give you an idea on pricing:

802.11g (up to 54Mbps)- $45

802.11b (up to 11Mbps)- $20

hope that helps. :)

wireless performance has to do with the signal strength as for that the higher the hertz on the router the better ie 2.4GHZ is better than 1.9GHZ also the max speed of the card itself determines the actually connection speed:p

When I lived with my brother during the winter, he used a linksys wireless router and the thing was SOLID:) it never realy had any trouble, I want to get one, but my mom was asking Verizon about that stuff the other day (hooking up at our new house) and they said that they are only available if you subscribe to sprint:confused: (the one Verizon says we have to use is crap, actually Verizon is CRAP:D where we're moving to, they have a monopoly on the service, and The only thing availabe is :eek: DIAL UP:eek:, unless we can get a good signal through DirectTV. either way It's Bye Bye semi reliable internet)

(I just realized,:eek: I hope I can still get on here:eek: )

Any way, the PCI linksys card sounds Cheap, I thought I was going to have to drop a couple C's for something halfway decent:D

About the stats you named in your links, Mine does show up as 54Mbps occasionally, is that all the faster it can go?

Here's my stuff

Archived