Home

Hardware suggestions please :D

^^^^

it gives you a ton of bang, but at the cost of tons of $$$. usually, a good-size business is about the only place you'll see one (mostly because they need all the bandwidth for all their users).

just don't ask about pricing: that would be jedigoku's domain. ;)

and nice backround on your computer.:D

Thanks, that Background is from the one of the greatest bands EVER!!!!!

"I KNOW WHERE I STAND AND WHAT'LL HAPPEN IF YOU TRY IT, I...AM FIREPROOF"

There needs to be more good band walpaper,

Because we build houses and move a couple times a year, I can't be havin no posters:mad: :D

So, were those numbers in my screen supposed to be good, because I still get freezes in BF2, nothin worse than having your gun set to full auto, getting the drop on an entire squad, and then having this thing pop up that freezes you and says there is a problem with your connection, and then of course as soon as it unfreezs, you find out that the entire squad is filling you with lead,

Fixing that would be worth the price of some new hardware:D

Anybody else ever get "froze" in the middle of an arty strike:p

well, that just means that you have a good connection to the router. that does not mean that your actually getting that speed since USB 1.1 has a much lower bandwidth potential than 54Mbps. upgrading to a PCI card will help, but like i stated earlier, it all depends on how fast your connection is to the server your playing on.

you wouldn't happen to know your average ping number with the servers you play on, would you??

Originally posted by REDJOHNNYMIKE

@JG, what do you mean, But I have tried to download things over 3mb, BF2 demo, that didn't go well:D

And I've never heard of a T3 line, what does that give you:confused:

crash chorse in computer abreviatons

first of MB = mega byte

and Mb= mega bit

B = byte = 8b = 8 bits

and I meant 3Mb/s download speed which is impossible to do even on a T3 which has a connection speed of 3Mb/s

Well stinger, It's usually around 100, sometimes between 50 and 100, occasionally between 150-200,

Is that good?:confused:

Does distance make a difference, because I tried playing one with europe in the title, and it was really slow,

I tried to play an australian server, and never actually got past the loading screen without being kicked:D

I thought the idea was to be able to play people from all over:confused:

JG, I'm confused now, the status screens say 48Mbps, but you say I can't even get 3Mbps:confused: Or is there a difference between downloading and playing?:confused:

No offense dude, but that is confusing:)

DoH, had two eyes looking in two directions

DANG PARALLEL PROCCESSING, MULTIPLE TRAINS OF THOUGHT SCIZOPHRENIA:fist:

While I was waiting for my family to show up at CICI's, I got bored and went into Staples to look at computer stuff (I know, :hit4: that will learn ya to go to staples)

It's the only thing around here even remotely resembling a computer store:(

yup ahm in the northern appalaichan foothills, and geeks (especially the ones who own stores) avoid the appalachia area like the plague:D unless you live near a large city, which I don't, BOT

I was talking with the guy there, while looking at modems and those PCI cards and he said that they had hardware to connect to broadband (dsl i guess)

at 48+Mbps?

now if I heard correctly, that means that I could scrap the stuff the phone company gave us and buy a new router or whatever that lets me actually go from 56kbps to 48Mbps,

Now I'm really confused:confused:

Do you think we could start over:D

What are the main components involved, what order do they connect in, and what are the supposed possible data flows of each, so I know where the slowdowns are, and actually start to understand what the heck we're talking about:)

he was talking about going from dial-up internet access to broadband. as per the norm, most 'computer experts' that those places hire have no real clue on how to put things in layman's terms. :rolleyes:

anyways, don't worry about your Internet speed at the moment. your ping numbers you gave me tell the story: your connection is fast enough. when you run into wierd instances where you can't seem to move, thats what most gamers refer to as lag. its a normal occurance on just about every server i've played on, and usually, it has a lot more to do with the server trying to maintain the connection to multiple users at a time plus the added weight of keeping track of who is shooting at whom and so on and so forth. this can get really bad if the server has to try to maintain a connection with someone from a very long distance (like Europe or Australia) or someone with a very low internet connection speed (someone using dial-up) since it can't update what that particular player is doing as quickly.

anyways, i tried to put it into simple terms for ya. hope it helps. :)

Thanks that helped me a little,

But I've experienced lag, and it's different, in my experience, Lag slowly slows, stops, then speeds back up, and many players experience it, my main problem is when it seems like some genius who probably works with JG and is stupid enough to get fish slapped all the time, accidentally set his coffe down on a button and turned it off, resulting in a near instant freeze and a "there is a problem with your internet connection", Lag has frozen before too, but never had any error messages, and I'm the only one who experiences the connection farts.

Any way, I don't want to trouble you too much. but just so I know for sure, could you explain (like I sadi above) which parts cause which problems and whic other parts they connect to, kind of a the modem bone connects to the....

kind of thing?

And is it possible to get DSL broadband stuff through a satelite dish?

Thanks for all the help:D

yes, you can get broadband through a sattelite. however, sattelite internet tends to cost more, has lower connection speeds, and will disconnect you if a thick layer of clouds form over your house.

generally, sattelite internet is really meant for those that don't have access to either cable or DSL internet (for those that live in the 'boonies'). its a much better alternative to dial-up internet, but if you can get DSL or cable, use DSL or cable (and i personally recommend using DSL since it doesn't suffer from 'peak times').

as for a connection for a game, the connection basically works something like this:

your computer > networking device > Internet Service Provider(ISP) server > other routing servers > destination's ISP server > networking device > gaming server

hope that simplifies things a bit for ya. ;)

" (for those that live in the 'boonies')"

Yup dat dere's where we'z all movin to,

miles outside of the village thats twice as many miles from the town of Athens OH, not as boonies as you can get, but it's out there away from everything,

Dup, or satelite are our only options.

So when you say networking device, you mean, (my wireless antennae (hopefully PCI card soon)) and (the router that connects to the phone line or satelite and transmits it to my computer)

because without wireless, the PC would connect directly to the internet through the modem?

Is That right?:confused:

But thanks, I didn't know anything about the other stuff:)

well, i guess networking device was a bit too broad of a term, but it is a good simplification.

basically, i divide it into three things: wireless networks, wired networks, and dial-up. wireless and wired networks work almost the exact same:

a networking card on the computer> central router > modem > internet

the only difference is how the networking card connects to the central router, which is either through a microwave signal (wireless) or an electrical signal (wired).

of course, you can also have a computer that is just connected through the network card straight to the modem, but the downside is that the internet connection is then solely devoted to that one machine.

dial-up, on the other hand, consists of just a modem connected to a phone line.

hope that helps. :)

Originally posted by stingerhs

he was talking about going from dial-up internet access to broadband. as per the norm, most 'computer experts' that those places hire have no real clue on how to put things in layman's terms. :rolleyes:

they have no real clue at all. all they know is the specs and nothing about how it works and go in to some place and ask for cat-5 wire once and you will get a :confused: look from them :D even bestbuy and circuit city has the same problem none of them have a degree like I do so I guess I can't complain to much since this is my career but any who broadband it both network and dsl pretty much anything other than dialup and ISDN is broadband:cool:

@stingerhs what do you do Ya kind of know more than someone with no techical back ground;)

Archived