Home

Compiler options

riceplant

Which menu option should I choose in Radiant to speed up compilation of my maps? There are a lot of options, each listing command line parameters, but as I don't know what these parameters do, I am restricted to using a choice I know works (test). This seems to take an inordinately long time, and I want to get good best performance out of my old processor, at least until I get my new one.

which part takes so long, if its vis make sure you are making detail brushes. im not an expert, but i like to just do a bsp only to check stuff, and then if i wanna do light, i do the faster option for a quick and dirty check. of course, you would do the full compiles for finished products, but neither of those stanges take too long for me, the light can take 10-20 mins i guess if i have a lot of stuff in a level...

yeah thats a pain in the ass. I usually do single bsp -meta and vis and skip lighting. the room looks ugly, but i usually compile just to look at the structure of my map and test triggers. When I wanna do lighting,i usually do a -faster -bounce ?. Then if im not happy, i change whatever i need to change and do a -fast only.

tracegrid takes me ages too. Ive probably got over 100 meshs in my latest map. You dont know how much meshs you could have in your map. Pay some attention and count and you might realise you have over 200. btw a mesh im referring to anything that can be found on the curves menu. I try and avoid curves, like i use the weird primitives thing for cones instead of cone, and sphere instead of 2 flattened cones.

Archived