Home

Next RTS From EA: LOTR BFME II???

Darth Andrew

I wouldn't use the word "suck" on any video game, seeing that all developers put at least some effort into their titles and thus deserve some respect.

But I agree with you on Battle for Middle Earth - it just was not that fun that it mattered, especially not when playing against a player utilizing the Balrog. Yay, I'm getting my "town" wiped out every five minutes, how fun:mad:!

[Edited:rolleyes:]

and this one

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/ps2/reviews/conspiracy--weapons-of-mass-destruction-651fc6.html

Original Trilogy (Ep. 4-6).

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I never played Battle for middle earth, though i've been missing LOTR recently and was thinking i might pick it up on budget for a fix.

I got the impression it went through the whole LOTR plot though, so i'm still unclear what the plot will cover.

[edit]Ahah - "Apparently, the sequel will cover a part of the Lord of the Rings story only mentioned in passing in the books: the war in the North, where Sauron's forces besiege the Dwarves and the Elves."

ok, that might be interesting. (or generic if they do it bad)

The graphic engine looked nice, and the setting is cool. But i can only really take the best of the RTS genre, as i find the rest of them rather dull and repetetive.

Does it involve mining and building, or just tactical combat?

PS/in RTS threads i always like to suggest Kohan 2, as its a cool game and no-one bought it. :(

Never mind.

I went to the link and the first thing I saw was "empire at war" (which has been dubbed "Battle for Middle Earth II" by some people due to the way resource gathering and "city" management seems to be very simple in it). I didn't see the BFME 2 link further down the page.

Sometimes I'm just not there:D.

Anyways, moving on...

BFME Continued:

My biggest gripe with the game was the way it was so shallow. Resource gathering is gone and building is simplified to not draw attention away from combat? Fair enough. Except troop movement and combat are also simple. Sure, there are special abilities and formations and such, but I just feel it does not do it.

BFME needed something to spice it up a little, and just did not have it. I'd really like some deeper city management in the sequel.

I'd rather they went the other way... it always bugs me in suposed tactical combat games when you spend all your time building cities and stuff... when do people build cities in real battles?

I must have misted the bit in return of the king when they started building cities and harvesting in the middle of the battle :D

Just dump that entirely, give the player a set force (maybe with some options) and if they have to build things let them build trenches, fortifications, seige engines etc...

Then make the combat engine much more tactical, with decent formations, lots of terrain types with different effects on different units, etc..

I want to win battles because i outmaneuvered the enemy, not cos i built the most armouries... :D

BFME2 is confirmed. From a video interview and clips I saw, the base plots are gone. You can build your base the way you want to. There are 6 factions now. Elves, Dwarves, Men of the West (Rohan+Gondor), Goblins, Mordor, and Isengard. More heroes, and a "create a hero" system. Naval combat will be added. They're changing some combat stuff around. I think this will definately be a sequel, and not an "x-pac."

The way the guy was talking like at one point made it sound a bit like the Total War games, which I dislike very much.

Also, I quite enjoyed BFME. I still play it with some people, and I'll probably pick up BFME2.

Toms, you might want to give Massive Entertainment's "Ground Control" a try.

It's got no base building or resource gathering at all, and a ton of great features like terrain obstructing line of sight, high ground giving you an advantage, (optional) friendly fire, vegetation concealing infantry, lots of special actions, et cetera.

It's gone freeware, so you can download it from sites like GameSpy. The graphics, music, and sound effects are awesome as well, and I believe the plot is pretty good, too (a little on the spooky side).

Naval combat will be added.

Yay.

I hate it when game developers find naval combat obsolete (like they did in Warcraft 3 and Command&Conquer Generals). It adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Archived