Home

halo religion

Rok_stoned

hey did any1 notice that in halo they have such an emphasis on religion like all the vehicles are named after 1 ghost or another. Then the've got space popes,armor named after norse gods thors hammer (mjolnir),space marines who are bellieved to be deamons made manifest, zealot soldiers, holy rings and to top it all off the enemys name is the covenant but no... thats not all the covenant now has an ark. I mean THE ARK OF THE COVENANT!!! any ways i'd lovee any1 elses discoveries thoughts or theories on why such a quagmire of beliefs was compiled into a successful video game

Actually alot of popular books/movies/games are based on religion.

For Example:

The Yuuzhan Vong from the Star Wars: NJO series had a caste system very, very, very, similar to the Covenant. (In fact, the only difference was that the Yuuzhan Vong used live animals as weapons and that the Covenant used Plasma weapons).

Also I am willing to bet that those bombastically pompous Prophets made up the names to the vehicles. You can't blame them though, since the human UNSC named all of the human vehicles after animals (warthog, pelican, scorpion, etc.).

As an after-thought, maybe the original names were taken out of the books of the Forerunners. Maybe one of the "Oracles" gave the Covenant discriptions of the original vehicles and the Covenant remade them?

thing is about the prophets naming the vehicles is that they are obviously nicknames and given to the vehicles by humans. and thats an interesting analogie about the yuzhan vong and covenant although i find that the covenant religion is far more "human" (by human I mean christian) based than the vong hierarchy

Originally posted by PsionicBeverage

thing is about the prophets naming the vehicles is that they are obviously nicknames and given to the vehicles by humans. and thats an interesting analogie about the yuzhan vong and covenant although i find that the covenant religion is far more "human" (by human I mean christian) based than the vong hierarchy

Well not really.

The covenant have an hierarchy system too:

Prophets

Elites/Hunters

Drones/Engineers

Grunts/Jakals

Although your "christian" theory also has some truth in it.

Originally posted by Venom750

You forgot about the Brunts

Actually I didn't.

I just left them out because they were never really a part of the covenant. They were going to be, but then the Civil War happened and the Elites, Hunters, and Grunts left the Covenant.

So my reasons for doing so were:

- It would have been too complicated with the Civil War that just happened.

AND

- They never had a seat on the council, they were just bodyguards (until the civil war).

:)

the reason why the names are obviously nick- named is because of the way they were designed (not covenant design but actual artist consept design) think about it , they are dont have exhaust, they hover thier engines make whines not sputters the vehicles were made to be just as alien as their creators alien and other worldly, like ghost and the plethora of extra-dimensional beings they're named after.

P.S the hunters have no rank they are used and thought of as equipment. although i find they act a little too much like creatures for their background info.

Archived