Home

Evolving modules?

REDJOHNNYMIKE

Okay, say your fighting battles in parallel with KI's story, during that war, planets changed hands when one side would drive the other off,

how can you make a planet's entire setup of shops, characters, quests and pretty much everything that changes in those situations change without making another planet?

An example, you are visiting Telos for the first time, you talk to a republic officer, you leave, later you hear the planet has been overrun by sith, and you return, and sith are the occupying force, with all new dialogs, quests, shops, etc.

Your example in TSL was done with different modules. The Telos station Invasion Modules are seperate levels/modules.

The only way I can think of to do so is with seperate, and entirely different modules.

Hence why there aren't many parts of the game, or mods that do these kinds of things. ;)

Ok, so I can do it, but I'll have to make the game send me to another similar module when I click on the same planet at a different time?

So what if I want to have a contested stalemate planet like manaan where two opposing forces continually fight and alternate control of a no-mans-land area?

"Hence why there aren't many parts of the game, or mods that do these kinds of things"

[MLK] I HAVE A DREAM...[/MLK]

I just want to carry mine out more than they did:D

Ok, so I can do it, but I'll have to make the game send me to another similar module when I click on the same planet at a different time?

Ahhh! The power of scripting and global numbers! :D

Hint: If scripting bothers you then creating new modules is not yet for you!

So what if I want to have a contested stalemate planet like manaan where two opposing forces continually fight and alternate control of a no-mans-land area?

Then this would likely require a third set of modules to be made for your new planet... One set of modules LS, one set DS, and a third set for the Neutral stalemate. It took me months to make one set of five modules* so have fun! ;)

*Of course our tools are a lot better since I made ORD Mandell, but it will still take a whole heap of time to do this! Especially in triplicate! :D

If the module isn't going to under go major changes it could be handled by the onenter script for the module. You would need to set conditions to determine which side has the upper hand and when, this would be controled with globalnumbers that the game can check the state of to determine which part of the script gets fired. I'm making it sound simple, but thats only in theory. ;)

Scripting doesn't really bother me, I just can't conquer what I've not taken the time to meet:D

@T7, so I wouldn't actually need more than one module, or do I still ned more modules but with the added conditions, I hope that theory turns out to be law:D

Honestly I'm not even certain how a module exit can be switched to different modules if it could be done at all. If thats the way you wanted to go you might need to make an npc that "takes" you to the other modules via a script triggered through the npc's dialog. This is how I would do it.

but if that wasn't an option then an extensively conditioned onenter script would be the way to go.

Honestly I'm not even certain how a module exit can be switched to different modules if it could be done at all. If thats the way you wanted to go you might need to make an npc that "takes" you to the other modules via a script triggered through the npc's dialog.

It can be done by using a scripted trigger rather than a simple area transition to move between the areas. The Ebon Hawk exit ramp is an example of this, where you end up in different modules depending on what value a Global Number is set to.

Archived