Home

Learning to build Doors - GtkRadiant 1.5.0

StaffSaberist

Now I have a more interesting, if less frustrating, problem.

The Jedi still won't haul @$$ when I want him to. Another interesting error: The camera works to a certain point. The camera starts at the ref_tag called "cam1". It then moves to "cam2", and there the script fails. After the camera reaches cam2, I get booted out of camera mode. On a whim, I added a "do" to do the affect, but that locked me in camera mode, so I deleted that line. Getting somewhere now, but not quite working!

The link should take you to imageshack, where I updated the thing. The pic, however, is slightly out of date: The manual waits are now 8000ms and 12000ms respectively.

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot73ne.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... the manual is just an example. You have to decide how long you think it will take the NPC to get to the nav goal. Most of the time it shouldn't take too long. Trust me, no one wants to watch an NPC walk for 8-12 seconds straight.. :)

*looks at pic*

AH! A problem- for your camera- try adding a 3-4 second wait after the zoom! What you have done is told it to switch to cam3, zoom, and turn off at the same time. Simple fix!

As for your walking- use "do" and put waits between them ;) If it takes 2 seconds for the NPC to walk to the first nav_goal, throw in a wait 2000. If 3 seconds, then wait 3000. :) Take a guess, and if its too long shorten the time, or lengthen it accordingly :)

I don't know if the DO command is case sensitive. Might be worth it to be more careful, though.

Is the NPC in bs_cinematic? Check the targetnames once again in Radiant to be sure there are no typos.

Perhaps it's purposefully, but your last camera movement hasn't yet finished, when you terminate the camera mode.

Oh, and I doubt the NPC can take 3 steps in 1 second...

I'm just wondering why you are using tasks but only do, not dowait or wait. There doesn't seem much point to me. It doesn't make a difference really, but it's another thing that can go wrong. And what lassev is trying to say (I think) is that the task names are case sensitive, not the 'do' command itself. That first 'do' should be "Walk to t2" not "walk to t2". Also, don't forget the key should be "NPC_targetname" not "targetname" or "script_targetname", which are used for editor targeting, and script targeting of non-NPCs respectively.

And what lassev is trying to say (I think) is that the task names are case sensitive, not the 'do' command itself.

If a command is case sensitive, it means it separates upper and lower cases in its accepted parametres. Whether how you write the command itself (if you decide to use Notepad) matters is up to the IBIze compiler.

But pardon me, I'm only trying to say something...

"I don't know if the DO command is case sensitive. Might be worth it to be more careful, though."

Good point. I'll check that out.

"Is the NPC in bs_cinematic? Check the targetnames once again in Radiant to be sure there are no typos."

Whoops, deleted the bs_cinematic line. Put it back in. Radiant.... checked! no typos.

"Perhaps it's purposefully, but your last camera movement hasn't yet finished, when you terminate the camera mode."

Oh. whoops again. Taken care of. The manual waits are now 6000 and 8000.

"I'm just wondering why you are using tasks but only do, not dowait or wait."

Placed back in. :)

"But pardon me, I'm only trying to say something..."

:lol: You guys crack me up sometimes. :)

"Sorry lassev, my point was that StaffSaberist may or may not know the terminology here, and I was trying to remove, or at least reduce, any ambiguity that might confuse anyone who didn't know that."

Actually, I did understand it, but thanks for making sure. ;)

OK, compiled and done. Checklist:

(X) Get the cameras rolling!

( ) Get SceneJedi to haul kiester!

You guessed it: The darn Jedi won't move. Cams are perfect, now.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot99yf.jpg

:)

Hmm... One more thing I should ask. How are the navgoals located? How far is first navgoal from the NPC, and considering the NPC's angles, is it in front of him (inside his fov, that is) or is it perhaps behind his back? And a bit related to that, is the first navgoal clearly in fov in general, with a good los? I have noticed an NPC might not walk (or run) even to a closeby navgoal, if it happens to be behind his back. And most certainly not if it's too far away or behind some structure disrupting los. These cases can often be solved with passive waypointing, though, that is, by building a waypoint network. Uh... I'm not sure if this has been actually mentioned already earlier, so sorry if this is redundant...

A little legend (for riceplant :p) :

fov = field of vision

los = line of sight

I needed that legend too! :p

*loads up Radiant 1.4*

You know, I never thought about the angle *notices I can't tell the angle of the NPC in 1.4* *Closes 1.4, opens 1.5, sets angle* But he definitely is close to the navgoal, and now he is facing it. *compiles* He should be able to see navgoal 2 in front, they're in a straight line. And there are no pillers blocking. It is close to the playerspawn, but since he isn't there yet, I see no problems there. And I take it my script, at long last, is perfect? *loads up JA* That was a long time for such a simple script. *types "devmap staffsaberist_level1* *slaps self in face for forgetting the disc*

OK, he is looking directly at the navgoal. Come on, move! *groan* Now what?

(I love using those asteroids, as my favorite teacher of all time calls them)

No changes were made to the script. The computer has survived... this time!

Alright. You wanted it... you got it. Riceplant, I am uploading to Imageshack:

PIC I - Radiant. I have selected the NPC_SceneJedi, as well as the three navgoals, for easy viewing. :)

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot105mo.jpg

PIC II - BehavEd. My changes to the script. :)

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot110si.jpg

PIC III - Radiant again. Entity window for Test1. :)

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot126nm.jpg\

Another :) for good measure. Do not fear about the archi -- I've decided to work it over a bit after I am done scripting.

shukrallah, I deleted the tasks, and therefore the 'do' and 'wait'.

Riceplant, a noble idea, but it failed. I set it in Radiant, and deleted the line in BehevEd. He still doesn't move.

It's not all bad news for the project, though: I did find some better music to replace the single .wav file I have. I learned how to shamelessly rip Kotor I music. Analyzing the files has proven most promising. Including a few music files that were NEVER USED in Kotor! Er, maybe not. Never finished the dark side one... anyway, it's in 22k format, so I don't get that stupid error message everytime the music loops. :) Only problem is, the transition music (from battle to area music) won't play correctly in the Miles Sound System. I hope (or rather, I pray to God) that JA will recognize it. I could create custom dynamic music. Cool! *play's Malak's battle music*.

I know what the problem is!

For odd reasons I cannot comprehend, I do not create THIS:

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "walk1" )

Ehenever I try "set types", it says, Include error!!! and I cannot change it. I may have to do this part in Notepad (look, I'm trying to get off of Notepad, and finding it difficult.)

Also, instead of

affect ( "luke_walk", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )

I have

affect ( "luke_walk", FLUSH)

or something like that. Very odd. Thanks for the dynamic music tutorial. I will definitely need it for the trials ahead. ;)

I'll get to work on those scripts. I wonder why BehavEd is trying to <tick> me off so much. It has succeeded thus far.

I know what the problem is!

For odd reasons I cannot comprehend, I do not create THIS:

set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "walk1" )

Ehenever I try "set types", it says, Include error!!! and I cannot change it. I may have to do this part in Notepad (look, I'm trying to get off of Notepad, and finding it difficult.)

Also, instead of

affect ( "luke_walk", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )

I have

affect ( "luke_walk", FLUSH)

or something like that. Very odd. Thanks for the dynamic music tutorial. I will definitely need it for the trials ahead. ;)

I'll get to work on those scripts. I wonder why BehavEd is trying to <tick> me off so much. It has succeeded thus far.

Go to the BehavEd prefs and set the paths to point to proper places / files. That will solve these problems.

I have set the prefs several times. I have BehavEd installed to the following path:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\Radiant-1.4\Tools\BehavEd and DEvaheb\BehavEd.exe

Ibize.exe:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Radiant-1.4\Tools\BehavEd and DEvaheb\IBIze.exe

Command Description File:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Radiant-1.4\Tools\BehavEd and DEvaheb\behaved.bhc

And finally, Source Files Path (I am unsure about this one's accuracy

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Radiant-1.4\Tools\BehavEd and DEvaheb

You see, everything is installed to the defaults. What should I change?

EDIT - whoa, lassev, nice avatar! I do not miss the 'dark side aura' from your other avvy... :)

And finally, Source Files Path (I am unsure about this one's accuracy

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Radiant-1.4\Tools\BehavEd and DEvaheb

The "source files path" is generally pointed to a directory called: SourceForBehavEd, which should have been created when you uncompressed the tools. There's also a gamesource folder, but that is empty and of no use (although for JO gamesource was the correct path, but not anymore for JA). So note that this points to a directory, not to a specific file. There are about a dozen xxxxx.h files in the folder.

I did d/l this, and my Radiant 1.4 has no BehavEd with it. I also d/led the SDK. I think. I'm doing a hard-drive search for the folder, "sourceforbehaved". Found it. There are a bunch of .txt files in there. Lemme re-route the BehavEd stuff... done, but with a S--- load of errors that say Failed to include file... it gives the path name, but it's cut off before the file name. I have about a dozen alerts. I'm upset, now: didn't I download everything? I should have, I extracted it all...

Archived