Home

How Does Darth Vader use the Force...

Kurgan

You don't need hands. You use your mind.

Except for Sith lightning. For that you need hands (and arms help too ;) ).

Yeah, what he said.

Vader shows you don't need hands to use the Force when he chokes that officer when he's talking to him through the video in ESB. He just does the choking hand action for effect.

The force is all around you, so you don't need to bother making kung-fu poses and such. You just have to think it's happening and it happens. Since it's a movie and a half-action movie at that, you need to have cool poses and fights.

On the lighning topic, I know a secret place from where men can shoot lightning...

*stupid evil laugh*

As with them all, you don't really need hands. I think it was just something that Lucas made so it would seem better by doing the hand actions. I guess that the only reason that he can't use force lightning is that his arms are metal, and I don't think it would go well shooting thousands of volts through them :lol:. But as for everything else, it isn't like shooting something like lightning through yourself at them, it is using the force to cause something to happen to them. Don't quite know how to describe it, but I hope you understand me.

Im with Chase, Im utterly astounded that you have asked this Kurgan.....

There are 3 key quotes from the films that tell you quite clearly what Lucas' take on the force is...

*Obi Wan in ANH "The force is an energy field...etc"

*Yoda in ESB - the "not this crude matter/size matters not" speech

*Qui Gon in TPM - the whole midichlorians deal

However, even when the body is gone(and thus ending the symbiosis ith the midichlorians), the films show us jedi still can have a presence in the force ie. obi wan, yoda, anakin, qui gon. Thus, the force is more than just this physical symbiosis ??

mtfbwya

I have never heard officially that his artificial arms keep him from using force lightning, but I have always liked and excepted that explanation. Most other aspects of the force use the mind alone. I don't think Vadar lost the ability to do anything other than that. Just makes sense to me.

From the RotS visual dictionary:

"As a result of having artificial arms, Darth Vader will never be able to conjure Sith lightning - nor be invulnerable to it."

Which explains nothing, based on what you all have said, hence my question!

So for some reason you need hands to use lightning. I wonder why?

As for "being invulnerable to it" part that's an obvious load of BS. He can clearly block energy (Han's blaster bolts) with his cybernetic hands, and he could easily block the lightning with his saber like Obi-Wan and Mace Windu did.

So for some reason you need hands to use lightning. I wonder why?

Because the lightning is actually coming out of your fingers? I think you need hands in order to have fingers!

As for "being invulnerable to it" part that's an obvious load of BS.

In RotJ he gets zapped with Palp's lightning, so apparently it's not BS.

and he could easily block the lightning with his saber like Obi-Wan and Mace Windu did.

And what if he doesn't have his lightsaber? :)

Because the lightning is actually coming out of your fingers? I think you need hands in order to have fingers!

And why can't it actually come out of your artificial fingers? What if you lop off a Jedi's fingers, can he no longer throw lightning, if he has a palm? How many fingers are needed to toss lightning bolts?

Would an alien Jedi that doesn't have fingers be unable to use Force Lightning?

If you can toss force energy in the form of push or pull without hands, I don't see why can't do the same with lightning. Even when Yoda "absorbs" lightning it appears he's projecting a little energy shield thingy in front of his palm.

In RotJ he gets zapped with Palp's lightning, so apparently it's not BS.

He gets zapped by Dooku's (presumably weaker) lightning in AOTC, with two good hands and not a cybernetic part on him.

Also Mace Windu deflects all of Palpatine's lightning attacks until Anakin cuts off his hand, then he gets zapped. So nothing conclusive that way.

And what if he doesn't have his lightsaber? :)

I say then he could block it with his hand, just like he blocked Han's blaster shots. The only reason he didn't block the lightning Palpatine was throwing at him "had his hands full" putting the squeeze on him and preparing to throw him over the edge.

I realize this goes against the "official" explanation, but honestly, their excuse makes no logical sense, it's just stated.

And why can't it actually come out of your artificial fingers? What if you lop off a Jedi's fingers, can he no longer throw lightning, if he has a palm? How many fingers are needed to toss lightning bolts?

Because you need midichlorians?

Would an alien Jedi that doesn't have fingers be unable to use Force Lightning?

I'd assume so.

If you can toss force energy in the form of push or pull without hands, I don't see why can't do the same with lightning. Even when Yoda "absorbs" lightning it appears he's projecting a little energy shield thingy in front of his palm.

Where do you suggest the lightning comes out of? Unlike pushing, pulling, etc., lightning is actually created, not just manipulated. So where does it come out of if not your fingers?

And Yoda absorbs the lightning by using his hand. If Yoda didn't have hands, he couldn't block it.

He gets zapped by Dooku's (presumably weaker) lightning in AOTC, with two good hands and not a cybernetic part on him.

Of course, he wasn't on guard. Even if Vader was on guard, he still couldn't block it without his lightsaber. Only midichlorians can block the Force.

I say then he could block it with his hand, just like he blocked Han's blaster shots. The only reason he didn't block the lightning Palpatine was throwing at him "had his hands full" putting the squeeze on him and preparing to throw him over the edge.

Blaster shots aren't Force energy. They're laser bolts.

Because you need midichlorians?

And midichlorians are stored in the fingers?

I'd assume so.

Pwned! I think that's pretty silly though, that Force Lightning requires a certain body part to make it possible. Oh well I guess Star Wars doesn't have to make sense. ;)

Where do you suggest the lightning comes out of? Unlike pushing, pulling, etc., lightning is actually created, not just manipulated. So where does it come out of if not your fingers?

I suggest it comes from the same place the other powers come from.

Electricity is defined as:

The physical phenomena arising from the behavior of electrons and protons that is caused by the attraction of particles with opposite charges and the repulsion of particles with the same charge.

So you're saying that Force Lightning comes out of nothing, but that the other manifestations of the Force are mere "manipulation"? That's silly. If the Force is an energy field, then Force Lightning comes from manipulation of this energy field just like all the other "powers."

And Yoda absorbs the lightning by using his hand. If Yoda didn't have hands, he couldn't block it.

He could block it with a saber, which proves that you need not block it with hands. And if you can block it with a saber (which is an object, not a body part) then you could potentially block it with another object such as an artificial hand. Simple logic.

Yet you're saying that you need a certain body part to use lightning and also to block it.

Of course, he wasn't on guard. Even if Vader was on guard, he still couldn't block it without his lightsaber. Only midichlorians can block the Force.

Not necessarily. Some people can resist Jedi Mind Tricks. Is that due to midichlorians? And apparently some technology is resistant to the Force as well (I'm only speaking of the movies here incidentally). Is that due to midichlorian blockage?

Besides, a lightsaber blade can block force lightning. A lightsaber is technology. There's no midichlorians inside it!

Blaster shots aren't Force energy. They're laser bolts.

And what is lightning if not energy? It can be blocked by technology (a lightsaber), so it stands to reason that blocking it with your hand of flesh is not the only defense against it. In fact it could be argued that blaster bolts do more physical damage than Force lightning has demonstrated in the movies, so it's actually more impressive. If you can block a more powerful energy, then it stands to reason you can block a weaker energy.

And midichlorians are stored in the fingers?

Yup, and all throughout your body. Just like Qui-Gon said... they're in all your cells.

Pwned! I think that's pretty silly though, that Force Lightning requires a certain body part to make it possible. Oh well I guess Star Wars doesn't have to make sense. ;)

Exactly.

I suggest it comes from the same place the other powers come from.

So just out of the air? Or perhaps you are suggesting a Force "thunderstorm" power that spawns thunder clouds, and the lightning can come out of there? ;)

He could block it with a saber, which proves that you need not block it with hands. And if you can block it with a saber (which is an object, not a body part) then you could potentially block it with another object such as an artificial hand. Simple logic.

If such artificial hand were made out of a pure beam of energy like a lightsaber, then yes it could. But we know that Vader's suit didn't give him energy beams for arms. Therefore they don't work like that.

Not necessarily. Some people can resist Jedi Mind Tricks. Is that due to midichlorians?

Totally different. Resistance to lightning is a physical ability; resistance to mind tricks is an intellectual characteristic.

And apparently some technology is resistant to the Force as well (I'm only speaking of the movies here incidentally). Is that due to midichlorian blockage?

Not sure what you refer to here...

Archived