Home

Shield like in siege_korriban

SD_Radical_Ed

i need to make a sheild like the one over the coffin in siege_korriban, that can be switched onn/off by a switch, but also can be permanently disabled by destroying a brush.

ive looked at the siege_korriban map by decompiling the .bsp, but cant figure out for the life of me how they did it. i know it involves a bunch of brushes with the nodraw texture on it but thats about all i can figure out.

also, i need to know how to make a switch, that when triggerd will cause you to teleport to a destination. ive tried a trigger_multiple linked up to a trigger_teleport but that didnt work.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just use a clip brush for the "shield" like effect and an fx_runner play the shield effect, and make the clip brush into a func_wall or something like that. Have the switch you want to trigger the shield target a target_relay and have that relay target the func_wall and also the effect of the shield you want. Then have the brush that you want to disable the shield permanently target a target_deactivate when it gets destroyed, and then have that target_deactivate target the target_relay. You might want to have the destroyable brush target 2 target_deactivates, one to deactivate the target_relay so that the shield cannot be targeted anymore, and one to disable the trigger that the switch uses so you cant even do the use animation on the switch anymore.

EDIT: I just realized something, the game wouldnt know not to target the shield if it is already disabled when the brush is destroyed, so you would have to do a complex series of target_relays and target_counters to achieve what you want. I know it is possible because I have done it before with a force field for a security gate in one of my maps.

Here is what you will need to do:

==============================

Have the trigger_multiple that is the switch target 2 target_counters, and a target_relay

The first target_counter should have a count of 1

The secnd target_counter should have a count of 2

The target_relay should target the shield you want to turn off and on.

For the shield itself, make a clip brush, and then make an fx_runner that is on a continuous loop play and is playing the effect you want for your shield. The clip brush should be made into a func_wall.

The first target_relay that you made which your trigger targets, should target the func_wall AND 2 target_counters.

The first of the two target_counters should have a count of 1, and the second should have a count of 2.

Have the first new counter target a target_deactivate.

Have the second new counter target a target_activate.

Have the new target_deactivate target the fx_runner that is playing the shield effect.

Have the new target_activate also target the fx_runner that is playing the shield effect.

Now back to the original 2 target_counters you made that are being targeted by your switch's trigger_multiple:

The first target_counter (with a count of 1) should target a target_activate

The second target_counter (with a count of 2) should target a target_deactivate

Both of those should target a target_relay

The target_relay should target the shield you want to be triggered on and off. In this case, that would be your clip brush, and a target_deactivate. The new target_deactivate you need to target should target the effect you are playing for your shield, which is an fx_runner that is on a continuous loop play.

This next part is on the brush that destroys the shield permanently. Make sure you read and do everything carefully because this is pretty confusing:

Make the brush that you want to disable this whole thing, and turn it into a func_breakable. Have that func_breakable target a target_relay.

That target_relay should target yet ANNOTHER target_relay AND also a target_deactivate.

The new target_deactivate should target the trigger_multiple that is the original switch you made at the beginning.

The second target_relay that is targeted should target the very first target_relay that you made. The one that the first target_activate and target_deactivate had targeted.

If you want to, you can also have an effect start to play (like a spark or something) when the brush gets destroyed. All you have to do is make the fx_runner for the spark, and have it set to "start off". Then have that fx_runner targeted by the first target_relay comming off of your destroyable brush.

Thats it :D it is pretty complex, but it should work. It worked for me at least. I think you might have to add in a little bit more stuff to reset the target_counters. Because I am not sure if this will all work correctly after they have all been fired a time or two. I didnt do extensive testing into this because the map I made it for was cancelled not long afterward. But you might be able to simply set up some kind of target_activate and target_deactivate kind of thing to reset the counters after they have been used. Just have the counters themselves target a few relays, one of the relays which targets a target_deactivate and one which targets annother target_relay. Have that relay target a target_activate. And then have those activate and deactivates target the counter. Thus quickly deactivating and activating it so it (basically) gets reset. If the whole thing seems to work inconsistantly, then it might have to do with the original trigger that targets the first of your two counters. You might need to add in a relay between the second counter (the one with a count of 2) and the target_deactivate which it targets. That should fix it if it has insonsistancy problems.

Now I will attempt to explain a bit of what the whole thing does:

The trigger targets things which eventually target 2 things, the shield, and a relay that doesnt even seem to be used in the trigger's pathway of targets. The reason it does this is to 1) activate/deactivate the shield, and 2) to turn on or off the relay which is also targeting the shield. That relay is VERY important to this whole thing, because if it is active, then when the brush gets destroyed, it allows the the brush that was destroyed to target the shield, but if it is not activate (having been deactivated) then the brush WONT be able to target the shield because it wont allow the pathway to be complete. This is done so that the game will know when the shield is active or not.

Also, as a side note, you may have noticed something "wrong" with the whole thing. Thats becuase in my map I had the shield start off by default. You will either need to do the same with yours, OR you can simply swap the first target_activate and target_deactivate you made (that the switch trigger targets through some counters) so that it will work right.

So as far as I know, this whole thing works. Because I know it worked for me in my map. At least as far as I got with it. Let me know how it goes. I hope you understood everything ;)

Sorry about the triple post, but I didnt want to put 2 seperate answers to questions in a single post.

For your teleport problem you could probably do a trigger_multiple that is activated with the use button, and then have the trigger target a target_activate and a target_delay. The target_activate targets the trigger_teleport, and the target_delay 9with a 1 second delay time) targets a target_deactivate. The target_deactivate targets the trigger_teleport. Then you will need to create a large trigger_once that covers the whole trigger_multiple and trigger_teleport area, and have that target a target_deactivate. The new target_deactivate targets the trigger_teleport so that way it is deactivated and the player wont teleport when they step into its area. Make sure that the trigger_teleport and trigger_multiple are both covering the same area so that way the player will tele right when he trigger_multiple gets activated.

if you dont want to be able to shoot through the shield then you can use a physics_clip. Otherwise just use a normal clip brush. I am sorry to say it, but if you dont know what clip brushes are, then you should not even be atempting anything of this sort because it is beyond your ability right now.

He didn't mean to offend you. He was saying if because it is possible to attempt something way over your head (trust me, I've done it many times) and you gotta work your way up. Like, when you are learning to fight in MP. You don't start with Jedi Master level bots, you'll get gunned down. You start with Initiate, and work your way up. If you can do this shield, great. If not, don't sweat, it's not like you fail or something.

Good luck on your project. May Radiant be with you. :D I look forward to seeing a map of yours when/if it gets done. (Again, I say if because all authors sometimes put their work on ice.)

It's probably confusing because you don't have enough experience in mapping, like MDN14 said. I would do it slightly differently, having two triggers for the switch, and having each deactivate itself and activate the other one, and turning the shield off permanently would deactivate them both, along with the shield. I reckon that would be better than mucking about with those fiddly counter things.

I think he means do this:

Have 2 trigger_multiples with the switches.

Set one to "start_inactive" or something like that.

When one is triggered, trigger a script that activates the other one and deactivates the one.

The thing that turns off the shield permanently can be triggered to a script that deactivates them both and the shield.

Or something like that. You might get away without scripts if you have both switches target themsevles and the other one.

If you don't get any of that, I recommend saving that feature till last in your map. I usually get archi in first, then texture, then lighting, then effects (unless I need them in immediately)

Good luck!

If you want, I can make a system like that in Radiant and show you pics of it in-game. I won't waste my time making it look good, though. ;)

But how would the brush that gets destroyed know if the shield should be targeted or not (whether it is on or off at the time the brush gets destroyed)? I just looked at my map and realized that I used a func_usable insteadof a func_wall, but they both have the same "start off" thing you can check, so it shouldnt really matter which you use. But I noticed that you CANNOT just put in a target_deactivate and have it be disabled. A simple deactivate will just make the shield not able to be targeted until it is activated again. Are func_walls different or were you thinking of a completely different way of doing it riceplant?

no you cant wedge:

Quoted from me:

I just looked at my map and realized that I used a func_usable instead of a func_wall, but they both have the same "start off" thing you can check, so it shouldnt really matter which you use. But I noticed that you CANNOT just put in a target_deactivate and have it be disabled. A simple deactivate will just make the shield not able to be targeted until it is activated again.

I see what you mean StaffSaberist. I didnt think of it that way because I havent learned icarus scripting yet ;)

Don't sweat it, I'm still learning ICARUS myself. But scrpiting is an awesome tool for making your WIP's come alive. :)

So, JUST to make sure we know what you want:

There is a forcefield and two switches.

One witch only turns it on, the other only turns it off.

When a third brush is destroyed, both switches are gone, and the forcefield too.

Sounds easy. I'll do that if you want. :)

Archived