Home

troubles in win2k

el kab0ng

Being a huge fan of luxas arts adventure games (sam n max, full throttle, etc.) I've been wanting to play this game for a long time and I finally got it!

Here's the problem: I get dumped back to the desktop every 10 minutes or so at no particular point or location in the game.

Here's what I've got:

-Windows 2k server edition w/ service pack 4 (that should cover the game compatibility update right?)

-the unofficial launcher which installed the update and copied all the lab files to the hard drive.

Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

I'm running Win2000 w/SP4 as well and experiencing the same problem. The game crashes to the desktop every 5-10 minutes without any error message.

This is a pretty old computer (PIII @ 1GHz) although I have the same issue on a slightly-more-modern machine (P4 @ 2.2GHz), which is also running Win2000.

I've applied the Grim patch 1.01, I've set my desktop color depth to 16 bits, I've enabled Win98 compatiblity mode and created a suitable shortcut, I've copied all the data files to the hard disk, I've tried running with and without 3D Hardware enabled, and the problem is the same.

Microsoft seems to have removed the Application Compatibility Update download, but the docs for Service Pack 4 seem to imply that stuff is now rolled into the service pack.

Has anyone got Grim running under Win2K successfully?

Not sure to be honest. There was a lot of ruckus when Windows 2000 first came out about its incompatibility with Grim, but the compatibility patch largely resolved it and the issue was forgotten as people moved onto Windows XP and Windows 2003.

You may find something by searching this forum, but I wouldn't hold much hope as I don't recall any solutions off-hand other than the old compatibility fix which is evidently no longer there.

I guess you could try searching Google for general Windows 98 program/game application solutions rather than specifically Grim Fandango, as the chances are this issue is affecting multiple older games.

For those who've used my GF launcher - I've just released an update to this that corrects a small bug where a patched file could be overwritten with the old unpatched version. See my site for the new version.

Having examined the problem I really dont think that it could make Grim crash, but just in case, you can restore the overwritten file. Download this file and place it in your game folder ('c:\program files\lucasarts\grim\') overwriting the file thats already there.

Archived