Home

Video game rentals, and assorted short reviews.

Darth Groovy

Ok, so probably most of you have some form of console and rent games, or maybe you have friends that do, and have played games with them. Place your short reviews here! :D

Some of you may not know, but I am an assistant manager at GameStop, and one really cool perk to working there, is the free game rentals. YES, we can rent pre-owned games, one at a time, for several days in a row. Here are some of my short reviews.

Darkwatch (Score: 67%)

Great frame rate for an FPS on an xbox system. Fast paced play, however repetition plauges this game far too early on, and the over use of cut-scenes really slows down the game play. The idea of combining vampire hunting in an old west theme sounds better on paper than it looks in the game. This game mixes so many genres without blending the action to make it anything unique, in fact it gets just too dull way too soon. Good rental, but hold off on this title unless you find it at bargain price.

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (Score: 95%)

WOW! This is one of those, that is just so fun, I had to gather my funds and buy it. Even if your not a huge comic nut, you will love the smashing and chaos this package delivers. This game is the perfect solution for anger management. You will get to do things such as leap over buildings, use cars parts as boxing gloves, toss missles like darts, throw people at each other, and use street lamps as cricket bats. There IS a story, but you can just run through the city streets and do basically what ever the hell you want, or take on side missions. Who would have thought being the Incredible Hulk could ever be this fun! Highly recomended.

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (Score: 57%)

Play as Lei Kang, or Kung Lao. You basically have all the basic moves these guys have in the original Mortal Kombat games, but this time your running around, puzzle solving, platform jumping and doing alot of multi-directional damage. Two things. The game is FAR too easy. The enemies always seem to attack in the same patterns. There is ALOT of back tracking through levels, and unless your playing with somebody on Co-op, it can get pretty boring even on the hardest setting. The game does not feature any live enabled co-op or multiplayer mode, so there is very little replay value going on here. Recomended for a weekend rental with company only. Hardly worth $50 IMO.

More later...

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (Score: 80%)

This game is an improvement for its prequel. You can use Jedi, you can fight in Space, and new locations to bout against your enemies. There are also new modes to play, such as, Hunt (hunt the native species or be hunted), CTF (take enemies flag to your base), Hero Assualt (just heroes), Space Assualt (Space battles) and classic battlefront style, Conquest. Galactic Conquest is a big improvement from Battlefront. And so is the Story mode, now is objective-based. For those why like shooter-type games and Star Wars, this is an excellent game to try.

YES, we can rent pre-owned games, one at a time, for several days in a row.

So if I ask the XBOX Guy at Fox Valley/Westfield in Aurora (his real name is Jeff, but I refuse to call him that) if I can rent a game, all I have to do is say that you said it was OK? :p

Wow, now that right there is a perk :D

I also reccomend Battlefront 2 and Incredible Hulk, Ultimate Destruction (I don't think I went more than halfway through the story mode/side quests, running around destroying things was just too fun, and the controls are excellent).

I recently rented Tony Hawks American Wasteland on Xbox, and it was quite cool. If you've ever played Halo, that's how the loading works, when you go to a new area it doesn't stop, it just lags a split second or two, and bam. The Bert Slide and Rail stall are the two new skating moves, and I loved both of them, a little tricky to master, but hard to forget once you do. The other major addition was BMX bikes. The controls are a bit different, and awkward at first, but they're alright once you get used to them. If they could blend the control scheme with more of the scheme for skating it would be perfect IMO.

If you liked any of the other Tony Hawk games, pick this up. My only gripes are that the characters look odd up close, and that some areas lag badly. (92%)

So if I ask the XBOX Guy at Fox Valley/Westfield in Aurora (his real name is Jeff, but I refuse to call him that) if I can rent a game, all I have to do is say that you said it was OK? :p

Oh no. That is an employee perk. Sorry. Look at it this way, look at all the people that ask us "is this game good or not?" How do they expect us to buy every game in the store on the pay we make? Trying them out is the only way of knowing outside of our basic customer feedback.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (score: 70%)

Plays good on live, but limited. Vehicle control is not nearly as good as say Battlefront, or Halo 2. Graphics are nothing to brag about either. Good for a rental at best.

Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects (Score: 68%)

Unless your a huge comic nerd, and have a mad burning desire to kick the crap out of Iron Man with Spider-Man, you won't get too much out of this one. Nemesis is a 3d fighter game with destructible environments that can also be used as weapons....big deal, like we have not seen this before? Also, if Johnny Ohm can kick the crap out of Spider-man, then I am The Apocalypse.

Far Cry: Insticts (Score: 92%)

Unless you've played Far Cry on the PC, you Have to check this one out. I took great pleasure in sneaking around the island, setting boobie traps, and throwing rocks at mercenaries. The map editor also filled me with hours of fun. Highly recomended.

Evil Dead : Regeneration

(90%)

Regeneration is the game that breaks the Evil Dead game's knack for sucking.

+Simplistic Controls

+Beautiful Voice overs/Music/SFX

+Classic Evil Dead Humor

-Can Get Repetative

-Sometime SFX covers up voices in play

-Annoying music when playing as Sidekick

Shadow the Hedgehog

(60%)

Proves that sonic can be for teens too... sorta

+Lips on characters actually match voices (a first for sonic)

+Decide your fate

+Gun play, vehicles

+Keeps old sonic speed

+Good deeds build up Chaos control, Bad build up Chaos Burst

?Since when do these ex child game chars swear so much?

-Camera angles are horrible

-Homing attack even less accurate

-Easy bosses

-Confusing Story

-Sword ammo?

-Mission specific Chars talk too much

-Annoying Voices

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One

(98%)

+Beautiful environments

+Voice overs are beautiful

+Different personalities for your squadmates

+Authentic guns

+Sounds are amazing

+Squad talk is actually useful

+Taking down a tank is so satisfying(sp?)

+Brilliant story

+Explains each operation with actual WWII footage

?Can't hijack weakened/distracted tanks

-I don't really see any

Archived