Home

Dialog and animation question...

mjpb3

quick question...

I have been 'tinkering' with some dialog files and noticed that I

can make the NPCs do certain actions while speaking

Just wondering, but is there a way to get my PC to do this also?

I tried setting the action in the available animations drop down

(using dlgeditor) but nothing happens...

I know absolutely nothing about dialog editing...

Like I wrote, I am just 'tinkering', and was curious. ;P

Thanks!

okay, so if it only works on the red entry fields

Well, it wasn't correct from me to say it that way. Animations only work if you add them to entry nodes. They do continue playing on the next reply. If you want to play the talk forceful animation during a PC line, add animation number 10040 with participant = PLAYER to the entry preceding the reply. It will look weird because the animation will start before the NPC has finished talking. If it bothers you then you can insert a new entry that does nothing else but play the animation.

Well, it wasn't correct from me to say it that way. Animations only work if you add them to entry nodes. They do continue playing on the next reply. If you want to play the talk forceful animation during a PC line, add animation number 10040 with participant = PLAYER to the entry preceding the reply. It will look weird because the animation will start before the NPC has finished talking. If it bothers you then you can insert a new entry that does nothing else but play the animation.

I hate to keep bothering about this, but for some reason the

dialog file I fiddled with won't open in Kotor Tool's

Conversation editor, so I have been using tk102's DLGEditor to

play around with this and the above instructions have me lost

:sheepish grin:

Can anyone explain how to do this with DLGEditor?

But this was explained using tk102's dlgeditor. Just leave the entry field balnk and add the animation. All the fields where it says continue in the screenshot below have no dialogue, they only have animations, camera movements and scripts attached to them.

dlganim.JPG.66dcbf309a86e675e5d3852521228f0e.JPG

Okay, but when I do this, my female PC still doesn't do any

of the animations I assign to her...

Carth does. He does all the movements I assign to him, but

my PC won't do anything but her basic head movements...

By the way, this is for Kotor 1, if that is relevant...

Okay, let me clarify...

I am trying for two things...

1. Is to make my PC have a 'forceful' argument with Carth on Dantooine, after the first Star Map is found in the temple and the conversation initiates about the Jedi council sending PC on the Star Map quest...

2. I wanted to add a conversation between Carth and PC to take place RIGHT before leaving for the Star Forge, after the 'I love you' beach scene, back inside the Ebon Hawk...

(uhh... will I need a script for that?)

I wanted to have my PC actually have animations during these conversations... can this be done?

I tried out the Talk_ and Worship animations in K1 and unlike in TSL they only ran for about 2 seconds if I used them on the PC. The only way to have animation with a higher durations for the PC seems to be with scripts. For example, this would play the Talk_Forceful animation for 8 seconds:

void main() {
 AssignCommand(GetFirstPC(), ActionPlayAnimation( ANIMATION_LOOPING_TALK_FORCEFUL, 1.0, 8.0));
}

For a different animation, change the first parameter of ActionPlayAnimation. You can find the ANIMATION_ constants in nwscript.nss. Its third parameter specifies the duration for the animation in seconds.

Okay, so how would I write a script to change every animations' duration?

I'm sorry to keep bugging you, but I have no idea what to do. As I wrote before, I have no idea how to edit dialog, but I would like to learn how to do this...

You can't change the duration of all animations with a script. This script function can only play one animation with a certain duration at a time. In TSL you have an easily customizable script to play animations in dialogues, however, in K1 it is rather annoying as you will have to write a new script for every different animation you want to play. Put the name of the compiled script in the field 'Script that fires when spoken' of the DLGEditor without the .ncs suffx.

Archived