Home

Walkmesh Question?

The Source

Walkmesh Question?

This morning, I decided to playaround with a map. I noticed that when I opened a sealed off door, that there was another room. However, the game will not allow me to walk into the room. So, I manipulated the paths files for the level. Unfortunately, manipulating the path files does not make the room walkable. While looking through the module editor, I did not find any tools for expaning the walkable areas of the game.

Is there a way to make an unwalkable room into a walkable one?

First try checking if there's a placeable in your way, if there isn't than it's a walkmesh problem and I don't think we can edit/create those yet.

I messed around with the Walkmesh files, but there are not many options. If there was a tool that allowed you to mess with the entries, than I think we can solve this obsticle.

For the easy swoop racing mod for K1 I manipulated the .lyt files but now kt has a pwk editor. I've never had the opportunity to seriously test it until now but it could be worth a try (note that I didn't had the time to get into modelling at all so I could be 100% wrong)

I have not done much with the path files but I played a bit with it but have not tested it in game yet but you can see the path in the module editor and you can open the path file and edit it in kgff that is the extent I have done with it. The pth files that is have not dealt with the pathmesh files.

For the easy swoop racing mod for K1 I manipulated the .lyt files but now kt has a pwk editor. I've never had the opportunity to seriously test it until now but it could be worth a try (note that I didn't had the time to get into modelling at all so I could be 100% wrong)

Yeah! I used the KotORTool to manipulate the .lyt and pwk files. Unfortunatly, the KotOR Tool doesn't save the files in a manner that they can be used. I think Fred is still working on this proccess. There is very little options in the KotOR Tool when it comes to these files.

Walkmeshes for modules (.wok files) are not yet fully understood. The editor in Kotor Tool is really for adjusting a few of the header values and converting ASCII<->binary. Once the format is better understood (I've put in dozens and dozens of hours into it so far to largely no avail), you'll have to use a tool like 3DS Max to build a new mesh.

Just FYI, PWK's are walkmeshes for Placeables and DWK's are for doors. PTH files appear to be 'helpers' for NPC pathfinding.

Walkmeshes for modules (.wok files) are not yet fully understood. The editor in Kotor Tool is really for adjusting a few of the header values and converting ASCII<->binary. Once the format is better understood (I've put in dozens and dozens of hours into it so far to largely no avail), you'll have to use a tool like 3DS Max to build a new mesh.

Just FYI, PWK's are walkmeshes for Placeables and DWK's are for doors. PTH files appear to be 'helpers' for NPC pathfinding.

Hey Fred!

When I examined the gray box, at the bottom of the .wok editor, I noticed values that represent coordinates. In some of the files, I also noticed sections that say 'Walkable' and 'Non-Walkable'. Eventhough we don't know anything about the file types, I did place a saved ASCII into the 'Overrride' folder. What I found was that it locks the PC out of certain rooms in a given level. As if they cannot walk into the room. The room still exists, but you can no longer walk into it. Eventhought the file is a dummy, it still causes us to see a logic in coalations. Otherwords, these files deterimne what is walkable and what is not. Is there a way that I can open these files in MS Excell?

Hey Fred!

When I examined the gray box, at the bottom of the .wok editor, I noticed values that represent coordinates. In some of the files, I also noticed sections that say 'Walkable' and 'Non-Walkable'. Eventhough we don't know anything about the file types, I did place a saved ASCII into the 'Overrride' folder. What I found was that it locks the PC out of certain rooms in a given level. As if they cannot walk into the room. The room still exists, but you can no longer walk into it. Eventhought the file is a dummy, it still causes us to see a logic in coalations. Otherwords, these files deterimne what is walkable and what is not. Is there a way that I can open these files in MS Excell?

What you're seeing is likely the result of the game engine not being able to parse an ASCII walkmesh file. As far as I know, it only works with the binary format. The data you see in the grey part of the editor is only showing you an ASCII representation of the binary data; well, at least as much as I've figured out, that is. I have changed (using a hex editor) various polygon's walkmesh types to see the effect, but there is other data in the .wok file that I haven't figured out the purpose of. I have probably already spent 40+ hours on the .wok/.pwk/.dwk file formats and .woks contain the most unknown data of the three.

What you're seeing is likely the result of the game engine not being able to parse an ASCII walkmesh file. As far as I know, it only works with the binary format. The data you see in the grey part of the editor is only showing you an ASCII representation of the binary data; well, at least as much as I've figured out, that is. I have changed (using a hex editor) various polygon's walkmesh types to see the effect, but there is other data in the .wok file that I haven't figured out the purpose of. I have probably already spent 40+ hours on the .wok/.pwk/.dwk file formats and .woks contain the most unknown data of the three.

I was able to look at the ASCIIs though MS Word. There are some consistant variables, which can be found in each one. However, there are also variables that only show up in a few.

There are X,Y, and Z Coordinates. (Controls what areas that can be walked upon.)

There are: Ground/Surface Types, which control how you walk on certain terran.

There is Face, which I can't figure out.

Is there a way to edit: add, subtract, etc... the X,Y,Z Coordinates?

Edit::

After seeing the files, I can see why you would be pulling your hair out... So much information in those files..

The editor is mainly for converting binary to ASCII for use in 3DS Max and back to binary for use in the game. You can edit any of the data in an exported ASCII file and convert back, but only PWKs and DWKs (placeable and door meshes) can be used. The data contained in WOK files, while still contained in BWM-format (BioWare Walkmesh, I presume) like the others, is more extensive and not fully comprehended yet.

Archived