Home

Moment of Silence Please

Guest Thrawn

To the loss of one of NASCAR's greatest figures. If you haven't heard, Dale Earnhardt was killed in a crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500 today. He slammed into the wall at 180MPH and was then hit by another car. Farewell, you will be remembered as a legend.

------------------

"Noobies Suck"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

*sniff*

He's been my favorite NASCAR driver since I was a kid. One of my many nicknames is "The Intimidator", although it had nothing to do with NASCAR (I'll tell the story some other time). I've always been more of a CART fan, and I was devastated last year by the death of Greg Moore, the Canadian Hero of CART, but Dale and the NASCAR circuit always held a special place in my heart. I'm a pit crew member on a local GM dealership's Sportsman Division (one step down from MASCAR) team, and the driver of the car, a good friend of mine, had met, and was an occasional aquaintance of Mr. Earnhardt. His car, aside from minor sponsor decals, was identical to Dale's #3.

I met him once, through the driver, at a race in New Hampshire about 4-5 years ago. He was one of the friendliest men I have ever shaken hands with. He must have been a great father and a loving husband. My prayers are with the Earnhardt family tonight.

The checkered flag has been waved over the life of another racing legend. But he's probably already gotten St. Peter to wave the green flag over the inaugural running of the Celestial Paradice 500.

Gentlemen, start your engines... And Godspeed

Dale Earnhardt was the best.

"[one of the] coolest drivers around.... black car, number 3, mean-looking mustache." -Hades

------------------

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Poor Bastard (edited February 19, 2001).]

Dale Earnhardt is considered one of the greatest drivers in NASCAR's modern history.

He was a NASCAR driver for 26 years and racked up a total of 76 wins, including 7 NASCAR Championships. He was the first driver in NASCAR history to win Rookie of the Year, and Win the Winston Cup Points Championship in back to back years. He was the first three-time winner of the Winston Select (1987, 1990 and 1993) and has won three IROC championships (1990, 1995 and 2000). And with winning 34 events at the Daytona track, thus making him the winningest driver at Daytona.

With a total of 675 career starts he has won a total of $41,445,551 over his career, making him the only driver to win that much.

"NASCAR has lost its greatest driver," said NASCAR chairman of the board Bill France, who himself is recovering from life-threatening illnesses, "and I personally have lost a great friend."

Dale Earnhardt while still racing for Richard Childress, started his own race teams, with Driver Ron Hornaday, in the Craftsman Truck Series. And soon expanded

into the Busch Series, and then the Winston Cup series. With Steave Park, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and adding this year Michael Waltrip, (who by the way won this

years Daytona 500, with Dale Jr. coming in 2nd).

Dale Earnhardt's Winston Cup Championships were in the following years:

1979 - NASCAR Rookie of the Year<

It is a sad day to lose one of the best drivers out there. I agree he was good. But some of the things he did was beyond what people would call "Good sportsmaship"

Dale was a fighter, thru and thru. ANd he died, doing what he did thruout his whole career, fighting to the checkered flag.

Racecar drivers to this day still live a dargeous life, skiming inches from a wall, inches for other cars to the left, right, back and front, while going 190+ Miles an hour. It takes a special kind of person to do that. Dale Did it, and did it well. Yes he might have drove dirty, bumping or blocking other cars, but some would say taht was part of the game.

He died doing what he loved. and i bet his only regret was taht he wasn't able to grab that flag, or say goodbye to his family.

May God bless you and keep you, and let his face shine upon you. Amen

Even though I had never heard of him until today when I read the newspaper, I'm still sad that he had to go. But I guess my thinking is that if it was instant and he died doing what he loved, then that's the ultimate way to go. It's better than laying in a hospital bed for months on end. Hope his family is coping with this. frown.gif

Guest Dj Skywalka

It's just very sad. He died helping Waltrip his friend and teammate win. If it wasn't for what he was doing (blocking other cars so Waltrip cold stay in first) Waltrip might not have won and Earnhardt might not have died. On the NASCAR webpage it says that Waltrip missed a hug from his friend and his boss. I bet Earnhardt was proud though to see his son and teammate in the first and second place. My God Bbless his soul. frown.gif

Archived