Home

Using Destroy Droid on locked doors?

lactose_

Hi! I've always wondered if it was possible to make the "Destroy Droid" line of force powers work on locked doors, containers, etc.

The main reason for this is that well, that line of powers isn't all that useful (IMO) and expanding its usage would be fun.

So can it be done?

*Waiting expectantly*

Yes, it's possible to make such a force power. For now you can use my whereami armband to unlock any doors (I have a "patch" for containers too but it's not included in the package.) Of course, it doesn't come with all the fancy visuals...

You can get it here: http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php (in the area editing section)

If you still want a force power for this, I could make one :) It's just a matter of adding a few effects :D

Hi! I've always wondered if it was possible to make the "Destroy Droid" line of force powers work on locked doors, containers, etc.

So can it be done?

While it's possible to modify Destroy Droid to strike doors (and unlock them if their lock DC or Health is lower than the damage the power causes) when used on a target near a door, the problem as I see it would be to allow you to target doors directly with it.

As far as I remember, it seems like the targeting of force powers is determined by the game engine and not by a setting for each power that can be changed easily.

The power would lose its edge if it only works to unlock doors with a mine or droid nearby allowing you to cast it... :)

Oooh! The armband looks great, unfortunately I haven't installed TSL yet. (I have the game, but my vid card is out of commission at the moment :( )

But the power can be made to affect doors and containers right? That's great! Would you make this possible for K1, and of course K2 too? I would be very grateful! :^:

Thank you so much!

Edit:

While it's possible to modify Destroy Droid to strike doors (and unlock them if their lock DC or Health is lower than the damage the power causes) when used on a target near a door, the problem as I see it would be to allow you to target doors directly with it.

As far as I remember, it seems like the targeting of force powers is determined by the game engine and not by a setting for each power that can be changed easily.[/Quote]

That's exactly what I had in mind, to be able to target non-enemies directly. When you attack a locked door, doesn't it temporarily become a 'hostile target'? I'm thinking of having another way to open doors without hacking and slashing... it's just unbecoming of a Sith Lord, don't ya think? :D

I would rather see it a a "friendly" force power instead of a "hostile" one and make it target the nearest door or container. Incorporating it with the destroy droid power would be very limiting as explained by stoffe.

However, there's one thing that bothers me with this power: it would grant the possibility to open " the wrong door at the wrong time"...and it could lead to a mess. It would be another force power to use with caution.

Edit: I made an armband for Kotor 1, I just didn't released it yet.

Ahhh I see, so it would be totally different from Destroy Droid then?

I see what you mean about opening doors before they are supposed to be opened, and I agree that would be... messy. Haha! But from what I remember, most doors that aren't supposed to be opened won't allow the option of hacking at it in the first place right?

However, there's one thing that bothers me with this power: it would grant the possibility to open " the wrong door at the wrong time"...and it could lead to a mess. It would be another force power to use with caution.

If you make it into a force power instead of a modder utility, you could limit its use so it's not always automatically successful. Some random ideas:

• Check the Dmg output of the power vs Lock DC of the door. (GetLockUnlockDC())
  • Make the power "bash" the door instead of automatically unlocking/opening it.
  • Allow the door to make a fortitude save to avoid being unlocked.
  • Don't unlock plot-flagged doors. (GetPlotFlag())
  • Only unlock doors that are bashable. (GetIsDoorActionPossible())
  • Don't unlock doors requiring a key. (GetLockKeyRequired())

This way, the player could unlock more difficult doors the more powerful they become, while not being more unbalancing than someone investing heavily in their Security skill, or someone cutting doors open with a saber or bashing them with a plasma torch.

Yup, that sounds just about right. My original idea is to have it function entirely the same to bashing the door. In that way, the basic game mechanics won't change. I think of it as bashing the door, but in a viscerally-pleasing (and cool!) manner!

Hi, I don't mean to double-post, just need to ask-

Darth333:

So you're not going to work on this? Sorry to bother you, but it wasn't clear in your post.

stoffe and/or others:

So is it at all possible to do it, the way I asked (make Destroy Droid work on open-able doors, as a second option to normal bashing)?

Sorry, but there just wasn't a clear answer, thanks.

Please do not double post and "bump" threads, if you have a post at the end of a thread and wish to add something to it use the "edit this" button, thanks. ;) -RH

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Darth333. I appreciate it. :)

So it looks like the Destroy Droid powers cannot be made to be more useful. In that case, I guess it's ok, I'm not sure many people would want to take on an entirely new set of powers just to open locked doors and such.

Thank you anyway, and I hope to see your new mod(s) soon!

Cheers!

Archived