Home

Space Combat

swphreak

Also, you mention them not including ships from previous games. You and I know of these ships, but considering the responses I've observed on this forum about the rather common VSD, not many actually know of them. So new old, to the majority, it doesn't matter.

I must agree the devs didn't do their research into the SW universe very well. Let's just take a look at the good old ships and other units.

Lancer frigate, replaced by tartar cruiser

VSD, as you said, not really known by the majority, but at least it's in

TIE scout, well TIE advanced would have been better, I think the TIE defender may be a bit too much.

Marauder Corvette, is in but has been put in a completely different role.

AT-PT, replaced by TIE Mauler

[grabs Force Commander manual]

Yutrane-Tackata Heavy Tank T3-B (the tracked rebel tank), replaced by something else

Yutrane-Tackata Hovertank T1-B, also replaced by something else

I also feel there are gaps between units, there should be something a bit in between the VSD and the Acclamator, like a Dreadnought or MC40, the Dreadnought should not have any fighters/bombers but should have a bit more irepower to make up for this. Currently I feel the Imperials lack a ship that is strong by itself. Even the mighty ISD has to rely on fighters and bombers to take out an MC80.

IMO there should be more space units, as well as some firepower ships for the Empire and some carriers for the Rebels.

Yeah I wish the Rebellion guys had been involved with this. That game just had so much amazing content. Of course, it wasn't executed the best, but even its rudimentary space battles were very fun IMO. And quite strategic.

Hartmrolf, yes TA is quite a different kind of game. There is nothing really like it honestly. It's not a typical RTS in most ways, especially in its infinite resources and incredible queuing interface. It's about who knows what to build and how to use it, and who understands that winning is based around a good offense, not defense. I used to be able to take on 3 people and utterly destroy them back in the day. I've always found TA to be the most stressful game I've ever played, honestly. It's strange....you really engage your brain at full blast with it. It's a very tactical game and I absolutely love it. I can only hope Supreme Commander can reach what TA is. If only Infogrames/Atari would release the source code for TA; we'd see some sweet enhancements I'm sure. TA Spring though is fairly amazing, and made from scratch (very rough yet tho).

Wedge, I agree with you 100% on all of your points. I think the feel of the game, the hotkeys, and the building methodology is extremely similar to C&C. Upgrades make it StarCraft-like. You can't blame them for emulating the most popular game of this genre though. And it works for the most part. IMO Rebellion was more on track though for fleet engagements. Star Destroyers aren't tanks. They generally just float and unload in books, movies, etc. In this they are bobbing and weaving, heh. Not in Rebellion.

Personally I also think that the size of the fighters, being scaled for visibility or something, is just dumb. It totally ruins the scale of the engagment and feel of the game. The immense size of these ships is utterly lost in this game.

i dont think bombers are too over opwered, thier discription says there stringths are against isd. so if your fighting some one who loves y-wings, dont be an idiot and build more isds, build more scouts and tartans

Then what do you use to take out their capital ships? You need bombers, and they only come from the star destroyers and the clone wars cruisers from episode II.

With 2 isds and 4 vsds you have enough fighters and bombers and can still enhance the fleet with tartans or those missile Ships or maybe an interdictor if you want.

Tie scouts i foun relatively useless, except if you attack a system with one tie scout to find out what Ships the Enemy exactly has there because probots aren't very precise.

Basically i normally just wait for the Enemy till he sends those corvettes which are utterly destroyed by my sds, now that the corvettes are gone my ties (bombers and fighters can be sent in, tartans are sent to the general area and give coverfire against fighters, not shortly after the star destroyers come in and normally the Enemy is almost finished then.

If not, just call in some reinforcment star destroyers. And if you're certain that you'll win you can put Tarkin in the Fleet who makes it much more effective.

2 Victorys destoys 1 ISD and 1 that Huge Von Calamari Capital ship, with the admiral on it :)) At first with all your forces destro all the smaller ships, right about that time Mon Calamari appears, then quicly destroy his engines, if you did that realy fast, leave him and blow up shel generators on ISD, and then battle become just a tukey hunting:)) that's my favorite Tactics, when I'm dealing with 2 or 3 capital ships

Archived