Home

Spawn

Katarn07

So here's something from my childhood I really haven't been into since that super crappy live action movie killed my interest in the franchise. I was going through my basement and came across all my comics. I figured I could sell them. Hell, I owned Spawn #1!!! Of course, they're worth next to nothing unless you have a near complete collection :rolleyes: I got issues 1-34, but am missing about 12 of them in between. While I do have some great issues like Spawn #1 and Angela's first appearance, I am missing some rather important issues to like the death of child murderer Billy Kincaid and Overt-Kill's first appearance.

Anywho, I just recently watched the HBO animated series in the form of three movies for the first time. I knew of them but wasn't allowed to watch them due to all the warnings on them about mature audiences (the whole comic book is for a mature audience so I don't get what the big deal was). Now that's how the live action movie should have been made! Save for some rather lousy animation and colors, I loved them and they renewed my interest in the franchise. EDIT - I see they're gonna come out with another animated series soon! Whether it's a whole new thing, or a continuation of where they left off, I don't know. Hopefully the latter. Spawn 3 kinda just ended without a decent conclusion.

I see they've rereleased issues 1-12 in a TPB (minus two issues I happen to have) and am thinking about getting any later volumes they may release, because as said, I have the early issues. $20 for 10 issues? That's practically retail as if you were to get each one individually. But the question is, would they rerelease the whole series or alot of the older ones like that? I know next to nothing about comic collecting. I only got the comics to read the comics. I went and got Spawn #1 at a comic shop because I thought it would be a good investment one day (wrong! :p). EDIT - I found a quote at Spawn.com that makes me believe they will release more of these. The description reads "Long out-of-print and highly-sought after by both longtime and brand-new followers of the Spawn mythos, we are proud to announce the release of the first in an on-going series of trade paperbacks collecting the early issues of this long running comic book franchise." Once again, I don't know what constitutes as 'the early issues.'

Who else thinks that the comic, at some point their lifetime and its run, is great? Anyone else collect the toys? Who else saw the HBO animation? And did anyone who read the comic actually enjoy the live action movie?

Watched the movie, but (obviously) wasn't that impressed. I thought of buying the dvds of the tv series occasionaly, but the fact that the UK releases had NO screenshots whatsoever on the boxes didn't fill me with confidence, so i never bothered.

Have you looked on ebay for prices? Some of these things go for very weird prices... you might find certain issues are worth loads and others are worth nothing.

Heh, I googled for some screenies, but I couldn't find anything but the cover art. I dunno about anime art. I'm new to the whole thing. I used to hate it, but there's a few I've seen I gotta say I liked. Samurai Champloo and Gantz pop into mind for beautiful art (although Samurai Champloo's story doesn't interest me and Gantz didn't do a solid job on maintaining my interest). Spawn's art was ugly at times, the colors didn't go over well with me, but some of the characters were true to their comic counterparts. I'd say it's worth the money, though it just ends after season 3. Hopefully this new animation thing (it's a movie, a pilot for a series perhaps?) will continue on that.

I have the trade paperbacks of the first series. I have all the HBO uncut DVDs, I even have a few Spawn action figures.

Spawny guy rulez!

The movie with Michael Jai White, and John Leguizamo, however is just terrible. It's a perfect example of how too much CGI can ruin a movie. Not to mention the script has more loose ends than a gay bar at happy hour. :(

I can't believe McFarlane was directly involved with that. John Leguizamo was great as the Clown. I did like him a lot more than the HBO series counterpart. And where is the Violator for that matter in that cartoon while we're on that topic? He had about two minutes screen time. I was a bit dissappointed that Angela just had a cameo too. If and when a Spawn 2 comes out, I'll see it on one condition and that being if Leguizamo reprises his role and Angela is a villain.

Back to the cartoon. Not sure who that vamp or Jade are, so while I did enjoy the third season, I couldn't look at everything and say "OH! I remember that issue!" like I could with the first one (that was issues 1-7 a told out of order) and parts of the second. Still, I'm curious what's to come of the next animation and if it'll air on TV or if it'll go straight to DVD (hopefully the latter).

just a note, as far as i know, the new animated series will restart spawn from the beginning.

That sucks. I mean, if I need an origin story, I can just pick up a comic book, watch the live action movie, or watch HBO's series. Starting over seems pointless. Plus it's only a 90 minute movie (possibly a pilot?). Keith David is reprising his role as Spawn from the HBO show, or so says imbd.com. I know it's tentative, but to me, he is the voice of Spawn! McFarlane would be insane not to have him do it.

Oh, and another thing regarding the next movie. Angela definately not make an appearance because apparently there is a lawsuit pertaining to the rights of her. But apparently, Cog is also debated so will he show up in the next animation or not? He's crucial to the story!

Archived