Home

Death Star Dilema

popcorn2008

Then again what is a whole point of building the Death Star.

Don't tell me that in Episode IV the DS wasn't abel to fire at star ships because we have never seen a rebel large star ship in the movie. Moreover watch carrefully the briefing on Yavin IV. The commander said that the DS has nothing to be afraid of large attack ships because its fire power will repel them.

It means destroy the attacking ships.

Orao, I distinctly remember reading somewhere that the first DS could not target individual ships. It was able to defend itself against "a large scale assault" by cap ships because of the enormous numbers of turbolaser batteries it possessed.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could always build it to serve as a lure for the Rebels' main fleet, just as the Emperor did with his second Death Star. Destroying a planet might be to your advantage, if it's a heavily built up Rebel planet with a large ground garrison that would be too difficult to take out in a ground campaign--think of why the Americans dropped the bomb on Japan.

It definitely makes sense to have such a massive power have a deadly weakness. Remember that the game is primarily designed to work well as a game, not to follow Star Wars canon (which is pretty ill-defined, anyways) perfectly. But, then, how's the Rebellion going to get a mere starfighter squadron near my awesome Death Star?!

"Your overconfidence is your weakness!"

You could always build it to serve as a lure for the Rebels' main fleet, just as the Emperor did with his second Death Star. Destroying a planet might be to your advantage, if it's a heavily built up Rebel planet with a large ground garrison that would be too difficult to take out in a ground campaign--think of why the Americans dropped the bomb on Japan.

It definitely makes sense to have such a massive power have a deadly weakness. Remember that the game is primarily designed to work well as a game, not to follow Star Wars canon (which is pretty ill-defined, anyways) perfectly. But, then, how's the Rebellion going to get a mere starfighter squadron near my awesome Death Star?!

"Your overconfidence is your weakness!"

Sorry but in my point of view I find more benefit from conquering the planet rather than destroying it. Ok I will sustain heavy losess in conquering the planet but on the other hand I will have the bonus provided by the planet and the cash.

Regarding your last comment on rebelion fleet getting close to the DS. If the DS has turbo lasers and the planet destruction is only a secondery option then it could be interesting to have it. The DS backed up with 2 ISD and 3 or 4 VSD and lets say 10 or 12 Corvets will be a pain in the ass to destroy. On other hand if the DS can't fire at star ships at all then it is a complete waste IMHO.

Wouldn't the inability to construct further Death Stars be enough of a weakness? The rebels, through Red Squadron, can cause the Empire to lose not only a superweapon but all the resources and time it took to make it.

I do not see why it is necessary to make the Empire lose out-right just by losing the Death Star.

Having only one chance to control the Death Star is enough of a detriment to prevent players from blowing planet after planet up.

I must agree on this, the emperor didn't die on the first DS. The Rebels didn't free the galaxy by destroying the first one either. I probably try to archieve victory by standart means, I'll just simply conquer all planets. So no DS building for me.

On the other hand, I might just edit a few files so that you won't win/lose when the thing is destroyed. At the same time I could try to make sure. I don't want to win by destroying the DS either. Another thing I could try is to make the AI not build the damn thing. Also possible is that I try to make the thing more common (as in that you can build more, but still at the same price). In that case I would also have to make sure you no longer need Rogue Squadron to take it out, but that just any X-wing/Y-wing can do the job. Not sure about the A-wing though and maybe the Falcon should be able to destroy it as well.

I'll probably edit a lot of files anyway (replacing the TIE Crawler with the AT-PT, the Tartan with the Lancer etc) I'll just have to firure out the codes/programs/tools and it should be really easy. I hope I can just use my Armada editing experience for this.

On the other hand, I might just edit a few files so that you won't win/lose when the thing is destroyed. At the same time I could try to make sure. I don't want to win by destroying the DS either. Another thing I could try is to make the AI not build the damn thing. Also possible is that I try to make the thing more common (as in that you can build more, but still at the same price).

It's one line of code in campaigns_singleplayer that controls both the victory and defeat conditions :)

Archived